Media 2 years ago today, Dustin Poirier and Max Holloway delivered an all time classic 5 rounds of war

Two fighters who’s combat ability is only rivalled by their likability.

Reactions: Gio
I remember it looking bad for Max in the first round but he really turned it up later on in the fight. Great fight that just happened to be on the same card as Gastelum vs Izzy.

Another fight where I made money off Dustin. Don’t bet too much but Dustin was the underdog here for some reason so I had to put money on him. It’s hilarious how overlooked he has been until only recently.

This x 1,000,000.

I've been a big fan of the French wardog more or less since he first started fighting in the UFC, and I'm still baffled it took him bashing Pillowfists McGregory to finally get the recognition he obviously deserves.

And that's amongst hardcore fans too, most of sherdog has been very dismissive of him until now, and never really talked about him as an elite fighter.

It's bizarre - other than a couple of bad defeats (McG, Johnson) and a couple of fights that were closer than they should have been (Miller, Hooker), he's been an elite fighter through and through, and battered everyone not named Kebab.

And the key thing is, Poirier is exciting and likeable, and ultra violent, he should be everything both casual and hardcore fans love.

This is an awesome moment in the fight

Alltime great fight one of the highest level combined skill displayed b/w both combatants . Way better than Kelvin Izzy
Yeah it's a shame it was overshadowed. Izzy Kelvin was a good fight, this was a great one. Never understood why the former was held in higher regard.

It was a very good fight. I seem to remember them both landing a ton but Poirier's were doing far more damage. It seemed fairly one-sided by the end of it but I'd have to watch again.

Could have been Tony in there beating Max and then fighting Khabib next but the goof made another dumb decision and instead fought Cerrone for no interim title or guarantee of a title next shortly after LOL CSO.

3 rounds of Dustin whooping ass. 2 rounds of competitive fighting.

I remember feeling so bad for Max. Thought he'd never be the same after that. Obviously I was wrong since he still looks terrific but I still haven't rewatched it because I felt so uncomfortable. Two modern legends, absolute warriors and all around great guys. They remind me of guys like Rory, Lawler, and Condit.

Did anyone else score it a draw? I had Max winning rounds 3-5 while Dustin scores a 10-8 somewhere in the first two rounds.

Also crazy that Holloway has never technically been "knocked down" in the UFC. He has one of the best chins for sure. And his recovery in this fight was ridiculous.

This and Dustins struggles against Hooker made Conor confident he can KO Dustin again.

Didn’t quiet workout for him.

Idc what anyone says max was coming on strong in the later rounds all Dustin could do was hold. If he actually goes on a lw run it would be nuts. He could very much become champ in lw too and it’s looking good for him to move up right now.

Back