2 workouts in 1 day...cardio first? or weights first?

jamboo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
hey, not sure if i should put this in the strength/power forum or the conditioning forum, but here goes:

I'm planning on either cardio (jumping rope) tomorrow and lifting. i'm just wondering if it would be better to do the cardio early and weights later, or to do the weights early and cardio later??? or does it even make a difference?

I usually do my cardio/conditioning in the morning on an empty stomach.

Weights = Morning before work because I can get that done in an hour or less
Cardio = Shadowboxing/Sparring/Rolling/Bag Training = Evening for me because it's never under an hour

empty stomach cardio then weights at least 5 hours later. eat your greens if youre going to make it a habit

Valgarv said:
Weights = Morning before work because I can get that done in an hour or less
Cardio = Shadowboxing/Sparring/Rolling/Bag Training = Evening for me because it's never under an hour
when you have a job and trainings your hobby this way makes more sense

jonny rotten said:
when you have a job and trainings your hobby this way makes more sense

i agree on this.........a quick blast on the weights in the morning, 60mins tops (although a good warm up can make an hour quite tight), then a cardio in the evening, as cardio can take longer

I wake up and do cardio in the morning with only a protein shake in me. Then I go to class/work. Then hit the weights at night usually around 8:30. I do this cause I've heard that you burn more calories during the day if you do you cardio in the morning and so I can go to sleep right after I lift so my muscles can have a full night to recover. It works well for me.

I wake up and do cardio in the am before work. I work a nice 10 hr day, then proceed to the gym to lift.

I run every morning when I wake up. After work I go to the gym or train.

Maybe we should clear something up. When do you all practice the combat arts? There's a huge difference between that and just plain 'cardio' which is distance running and such.

I do cardio after weights in the afternoon or evening after work three times a week. I do bjj 2-3 times a week and that's all I do on those days. I usually have one day (Sunday) where I do nothing.

Valgarv said:
Maybe we should clear something up. When do you all practice the combat arts? There's a huge difference between that and just plain 'cardio' which is distance running and such.

I do my BJJ training then come home and do a burpee workout (5x2 min round with 45 sec rest, for now). I need to start running in the mornings before school but I never get enough sleep to since I'm always up late doing homework/going on sherdog.

Valgarv said:
m-w-f lift, tues and thurs bjj.

Well if you're trying to lose weight, the popular thought is to do cardio first thing in the morning. Best to do on an empty stomach. Then eat after cardio.

I just read an article in Ironman where it was talking about hormone levels and the best times of day for cardio and weightlifting. In the typical male body, hormone levels are best geared for cardio in the morning and weight training in the early evening. However, it did state that motivation is also key. So if you only feel like working out at one time of day, you're still gonna get results if you're lifting in the morning and/or doing cardio in the evening.

If you're going to lift and do cardio right after each other or with less then six hours rest (or whatever the magic number is), then hit the weights first. The logic is that you're going to have the more energy to lift if you do it first, therefore you are going to be able to lift more (tear more muscle - get more gains) than you would if you have already done the cardio. The cardio, you're going to just get your heartrate up, not for speed or time, and that is going to happen whether you do it first or spent energy lifting first.

desertbake said:
Why is it so important to have many hours separating the two?

Recovery.

Depends on how hard you work and what you work.

Back