2 workouts in 1 day...cardio first? or weights first?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by jamboo, Dec 11, 2005.

1. jamboo

jamboo Blue Belt

hey, not sure if i should put this in the strength/power forum or the conditioning forum, but here goes:

I'm planning on either cardio (jumping rope) tomorrow and lifting. i'm just wondering if it would be better to do the cardio early and weights later, or to do the weights early and cardio later??? or does it even make a difference?

2. thechunkylover

thechunkylover White Belt

i don't think it makes a diff. if they are atleast 6 hrs apart

3. Sonny

Sonny Handsome Woman

I usually do my cardio/conditioning in the morning on an empty stomach.

4. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

Weights = Morning before work because I can get that done in an hour or less
    Cardio = Shadowboxing/Sparring/Rolling/Bag Training = Evening for me because it's never under an hour

5. Nate Pringle

Nate Pringle Yellow Belt

empty stomach cardio then weights at least 5 hours later. eat your greens if youre going to make it a habit

6. jonny rotten

jonny rotten Banned Banned

when you have a job and trainings your hobby this way makes more sense

7. davidlordan

davidlordan White Belt

i agree on this.........a quick blast on the weights in the morning, 60mins tops (although a good warm up can make an hour quite tight), then a cardio in the evening, as cardio can take longer

8. HA-Y-N Pitbull

HA-Y-N Pitbull Fuckin with Sherdog before TUF

I wake up and do cardio in the morning with only a protein shake in me. Then I go to class/work. Then hit the weights at night usually around 8:30. I do this cause I've heard that you burn more calories during the day if you do you cardio in the morning and so I can go to sleep right after I lift so my muscles can have a full night to recover. It works well for me.

9. cosism

cosism Custom User Title

I wake up and do cardio in the am before work. I work a nice 10 hr day, then proceed to the gym to lift.

10. GreenRecon

GreenRecon Swift, Silent, Deadly

I run every morning when I wake up. After work I go to the gym or train.

11. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

Maybe we should clear something up. When do you all practice the combat arts? There's a huge difference between that and just plain 'cardio' which is distance running and such.

12. sarge

sarge White Belt

I do cardio after weights in the afternoon or evening after work three times a week. I do bjj 2-3 times a week and that's all I do on those days. I usually have one day (Sunday) where I do nothing.

13. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I do my BJJ training then come home and do a burpee workout (5x2 min round with 45 sec rest, for now). I need to start running in the mornings before school but I never get enough sleep to since I'm always up late doing homework/going on sherdog.

14. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

It depends on personal preference. I prefer weights first

15. cosism

cosism Custom User Title

m-w-f lift, tues and thurs bjj.

16. Flounder

Flounder Purple Belt

Well if you're trying to lose weight, the popular thought is to do cardio first thing in the morning. Best to do on an empty stomach. Then eat after cardio.

17. bdweezil6998

bdweezil6998 Blue Belt

I just read an article in Ironman where it was talking about hormone levels and the best times of day for cardio and weightlifting. In the typical male body, hormone levels are best geared for cardio in the morning and weight training in the early evening. However, it did state that motivation is also key. So if you only feel like working out at one time of day, you're still gonna get results if you're lifting in the morning and/or doing cardio in the evening.

18. Tap112

Tap112 Yellow Belt

If you're going to lift and do cardio right after each other or with less then six hours rest (or whatever the magic number is), then hit the weights first. The logic is that you're going to have the more energy to lift if you do it first, therefore you are going to be able to lift more (tear more muscle - get more gains) than you would if you have already done the cardio. The cardio, you're going to just get your heartrate up, not for speed or time, and that is going to happen whether you do it first or spent energy lifting first.

19. desertbake

desertbake Orange Belt

Why is it so important to have many hours separating the two?

20. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

Recovery.

Depends on how hard you work and what you work.