2 weeks of training down and I finally put a gi on.....

Ballzilla

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My school has been focusing primarily on no-gi training due to the fact that several folks training are getting ready for a no-gi tournament in October. Turns out the tournament is going to be a bust for many of them so they've opted out. Anywho, gi training begins tonight but I had a chance after class on Friday to throw a gi on and just roll. In the 2 weeks I've been training without the gi I have been doing fairly well. I tap folks, I get tapped. I mount, I get mounted yada yada yada. Good times. With the gi on I was like a fish out of water and got completely decimated by guys who were, like myself, white belts with no stripes. It's utterly amazing the difference 2-3 months of training makes. I rolled about 5 times and was choked out within 2 minutes every single time. The worst part was that I had no clue what the hell had just happened to me.:icon_lol:

I can't wait to train tonight and learn some of this stuff.

Welcome to the club. When I first started training, I didn't think I'd have much interest in gi. It didn't seem realistic to me. The more I trained, I fell in love with gi. When you think about it, I think gi is more realistic. Sure, someone on the street won't be wearing a gi, but they will be wearing pants, a sweat shirt, etc...

2 weeks of training is really no barometer to compare the relative difficulty of Gi vs. No Gi, as you'll realise when you've been training for years and you have good/bad spells that can last 3-4 weeks.

2 weeks of training is really no barometer to compare the relative difficulty of Gi vs. No Gi, as you'll realise when you've been training for years and you have good/bad spells that can last 3-4 weeks.

Obviously I'm an expert by no means. I was just able to do better in live rolling right off the bat than I was with the gi on. I'm excited about both but the gi has my attention at the current moment.

Keep up the positive attitude though, you will learn much faster.

You have the right attitude, TS. Getting my ass kicked seems like a great way for me to learn too. I get to ask questions.

Now you'll be gazing at people's collars through the day, fantasizing about different ways you can choke them with it....

Obviously I'm an expert by no means. I was just able to do better in live rolling right off the bat than I was with the gi on. I'm excited about both but the gi has my attention at the current moment.

Fair do's, I wasn't trying to be an arsehole. Just saying that, given different circumstances, you might have had 2 tough weeks in No Gi and found the Gi a welcome change.

Both are incredibly fun. Granted I've only done gi for 10 minutes. :icon_lol:

The gi pace appears to go much slower than no-gi which in itself was a welcome break.

I love both, I just train in the Gi more. It's more fun to me.

Back