2 truths about GSP

I dont agree with the rest are or were hard to beat guys.

Diaz and Condit are men that have been notoriously difficult to finish but the rest were fighters who had been finished by lesser fighters than GSP.

Also fitch is not a p4p fighter

Guys like Fitch are now being choked out in under a minute and getting KO'd in 12 seconds. But when GSP fought him he was on one of the biggest undefeated streaks out there and was ranked #6 p4p. GSP beat him 50 - 43 but nobody cares anymore because they don't see KO. The fact fighters get beat later means nothing. Going into the GSP fights these guys were killers who were near impossible to finish

He is not the same fighter he was 10 years ago?

10 years ago he was 22.....

You are acting like he is 40

Clear ?

Some of you are just throwing around numbers of years and when you think it was.

Your prime is said to be from 30-34 as Bas Ruten has mentioned and your athletic prime is said to be from 21-25. Some fighters peak early as we know and have their prime earlier.

GSP may not be in his athletic prime but its hard to see that he is still not in his prime. Its possible the injury has taken that away but some people like to throw around these numbers and years and when they think he was. The its clear statement is not clear at all and I am guessing a guess. Also your prime is not one year unless you have some injury.

I didn't want to point a specific year, but I did... I just think that the 10 years ago GSP was entering his prime vs todays GSP is slowly exiting it... time will tell. Since everybody seems to disagree I'm probably wrong... which is a good thing :)

TS, GSP was not the first well-rounded mmartist, although he may be the pinnacle of the concept of being complete as a fighter. Shammie, Randy, Nog, Fedor, BJ, etc, were all successfully employing being well-rounded simeltaneously, or prior to, Georges.

"Passed his prime"? The guy continuously dominates his opponents. Although he took a beating from Condit, he still won the fight fairly squarely.

I just hope that he stops playing it safe because you know that he won't deliver an exciting fight, it's only up to the challenger.

TS, GSP was not the first well-rounded mmartist, although he may be the pinnacle of the concept of being complete as a fighter. Shammie, Randy, Nog, Fedor, BJ, etc, were all successfully employing being well-rounded simeltaneously, or prior to, Georges.

You are right... I just think he's the best example.

At the moment I think the only way to win against GSP is to knock him out... which is big because nobody is safe from a KO. And it will not be an easy task, if my memory is correct I think GSP has been Knocked down only twice in his career, Serra and Condit, and only once the opponent got the finish.

Here comes EmeliannekoFan shitting on GSP in order to indirectly raise Jones's stock in the p4p Such a Stan.

Making an argument in another thread I decided that it was worth a new thread. Here is 2 truth about GSP that I hope will make some peoples think about it. Please let the trolling stuff at the door. Feel free to disagree but stay classy.

1- GSP HAS PASSED HIS PRIME. As simple as that. People must stop bitching after the way he fight. He is NOT ANYMORE the GSP he was 10 years ago. He continued to improve his game to become an amazing well rounded fighter and that is why he can stay on top of his sport and still outrageously dominant. Gracie teached us that a grappling game was a must in MMA, GSP showed the world that a well rounded game is what MMA is all about. So haters, please stop bitching about it and just be happy to witness the evolution of a fighter that has changed his sport and that will retire soon.

2- POST SERRA IS A MYTH. I have enough hearing people trying explaining truth #1 by saying it's a post-Serra trauma in the head of GSP. All GSP changed since the Serra fight, as he told himself, is that he will never take a opponent lightly anymore.

After his lost to Serra at UFC69 april 2007, GSP finished 3 out of 5 of his next opponents

UFC74 vs Koscheck: UD
UFC79 vs Hugues: R2 Submission
UFC83 vs Serra: R2 KO/TKO
UFC87 vs Fitch: UD
UFC94 vs Penn: R4 KO/TKO

He started his UD streak at UFC100 in July 2009, like 2 years after the Serra fight... so nothing is related

Again Post Serra never existed, GSP is just passing his prime.

I don't know if I agree with you.

1) he's 31. Not 41. Yes, he had some wars, but nothing like Wandi or Nog.
And you said it yourself, this guy is an incredible and well-rounded athlete. I fail to see how you can simply claim he is past his prime.
he has not changed his style. he has not lost any fight or looked bad in any fight since Serra (and ANYONE can get caught).
he basically won all rounds in every fight he had since forever.
No, sorry. Your statement is just a (baseless) guess on your part.

2) No it is not.
GSP himself said it in multiple interviews on the subject.
he noted he focus on not losing/not running risks much more than before.
he also deals differently when getting hurt (before he tried to prove he was not hurt, now he doesn't care if he appears hurt, he just tries to recover).
He also stiks to his gameplan.
He simply fights now running less risk. Look at how he fought Kos in 2010. Is it someone who is looking for a finnish? No.
He will try to finnish if it is there, but he won't run any unnescessary risk to do it.
If it comes, fine. if Not, he knows he can win on points.

And THAT's a change since Serra. Weather you want to acknowledge it or not.

Guys like Fitch are now being choked out in under a minute and getting KO'd in 12 seconds. But when GSP fought him he was on one of the biggest undefeated streaks out there and was ranked #6 p4p. GSP beat him 50 - 43 but nobody cares anymore because they don't see KO. The fact fighters get beat later means nothing. Going into the GSP fights these guys were killers who were near impossible to finish

A finish is a finish and if a fighter is that dominant, a finish should come second nature but I agree that too many harp on it.

When was Fitch ranked #6 p4p and on what p4p list. I agree that Fitch was a good wrestler but when was he ranked p4p.

Rashad Evans and Machida won the LHW belt and I can understand those on a p4p list and both have better records than Fitch and are not talked about in that way.

Fitch's best win was Thiago and Eric Silva and that does not really scream p4p. Fitch was a good fighter though but p4p is something I dont see.

Last edited:
1 truth about GSP : he's the GOAT of all GOAT at WW .

A finish is a finish and if a fighter is that dominant, a finish should come second nature.

When was Fitch ranked #6 p4p and on what p4p list.

I agree that Fitch was a good wrestler but when was he ranked p4p.

Rashad Evans and Machida won the LHW belt and I can understand those on a p4p list and both have better records than Fitch.

Fitch's best win was Thiago and Eric Silva and that does not really scream p4p.Fitch was a good fighter though but p4p is something I dont see.

No, because a finish is most often synonymous with power. If you look at GSP stats, you see that he hits his opponent often enough and goes for submission often enough. His stats are better than Silva in both these departments.

GSP has never ko'd anyone in his career. He is a great technical fighter who dominates his opponent with his skills, not his power. You use the strengths you have and try not to let your opponent capitalize on your weaknesses. GSP does both those things as well, if not better than anyone, and that's why he is a GOAT.

The important thing is winning and winning dominantly. Silva strength is his striking, so of course he is going to finish more often. I'm not sure how that's proof he is a better fighter than GSP, considered GSP is a way better wrestler.

A finish is a finish and if a fighter is that dominant, a finish should come second nature.

When was Fitch ranked #6 p4p and on what p4p list.

I agree that Fitch was a good wrestler but when was he ranked p4p.

Rashad Evans and Machida won the LHW belt and I can understand those on a p4p list and both have better records than Fitch.

Fitch's best win was Thiago and Eric Silva and that does not really scream p4p.Fitch was a good fighter though but p4p is something I dont see.

Let me just start with at the time Fitch was 18 - 2 on a 16 win streak
Rashad is 18 - 3 and Lyoto is 19 - 4

Fitch was ranked p4p by Sherdog
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f44/sherdog-p4p-history-2408787/

I think his coming fight with Hendricks will tell us a lot about GSP. His last fight he looked half a step behind his old self, but that was the comeback fight after a serious injury and a long time off. This time he should be primed for the fight, and if he doesn't look better than last time I would have to agree he's peaked.

I think his coming fight with Hendricks will tell us a lot about GSP. His last fight he looked half a step behind his old self, but that was the comeback fight after a serious injury and a long time off. This time he should be primed for the fight, and if he doesn't look better than last time I would have to agree he's peaked.

Last time was against Diaz. But there was reports saying he was sick and injured before the fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back