2 sport athletes in grappling that made a high level?

Q mystic

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Thought this was an interesting question...

What athletes have you heard that have done well at 2 different grappling sports?

-Pat Bolger was silver medalist at the Pan-Ams in both Judo and Wrestling in the very same year and qualified for the olympic team in both.

-Mike Barry was an Olympic Wrestler and 6-time National Judo champ.

-Leo Leite won Gold at the Pan-Ams in Judo and Mundials in BJJ(blackbelt).(ty Blanko)

Was going to edit in for a list but there could be to much discretion or too many:).

Qualifying for the Olympics in two different sports is an outstanding achievement

leo leite was on the brasilian national judo team and won in the mundials as a black belt.

leo leite was on the brasilian national judo team and won in the mundials as a black belt.

okay Ill edit that in, didnt know if it was blackbelt. Was going to add regardless but wanted to know for sure. Thanks.

Qualifying for the Olympics in two different sports is an outstanding achievement

In the same year to boot. Thats crazy. He was one of my judo coaches.:)

Was once ranked 3rd in judo and 4th in wrestling in the world.

Kashiwazaki and Sato (world champion in both sambo and judo)

Yuri Rybak and Ilias Iliadis ( champion in judo and sambo )

What did he 'win' in bjj? I think he did good in adcc but good is too discretionary.

He made it to the top 8, losing on points at the very end to Jeff Monson, who won the division if I remember correctly. Making it to the ADCC finals is like going to the olympics, you have to qualify - only 16 make it in each division.

ie, he did slightly better in ADCC than he did in the olympics - both getting to the ADCC finals and making it to the olympics mean you're an elite competitor in the respective sports.

He made it to the top 8, losing on points at the very end to Jeff Monson, who won the division if I remember correctly. Making it to the ADCC finals is like going to the olympics, you have to qualify - only 16 make it in each division.

ie, he did slightly better in ADCC than he did in the olympics - both getting to the ADCC finals and making it to the olympics mean you're an elite competitor in the respective sports.

Good point. As well that the sports he did were both gi.

rhadi was a wreslter in college too,anyone know how he did in his collegiate wrestling career

Ton's of accomplished wrestlers are now MMA fighters/BJJ players. Lindland, Couture, etc.

I imagine there are guys who competed on a high level in greco roman and free style at the same time. Can't name any though because I don't follow close enough.

jimmy pedro? i know he medaled at the last olympics in judo, how elite of a wrestler was in he college? admitted i dont know much regarding his college wrestling days.

Back