2 more fights, then Bones is MMA GOAT

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by king56, Jan 3, 2015.

1. king56

king56 Green Belt

I don't really like jones, seen him hurt too many of my favorites (Shogun, Machida), and he is kind of a d bag.

But goddamn. He beat DC tonight where he was strongest, in the clinch/dirty boxing/and takedowns. That is was impressed me so much tonight, he didn't use is reach as much I thought he would try in the stand up, and still won the fight convincingly. DC is a guy who was running through top HWs...so impressive what jones did tonight.

I think if he beats the winner of Rumble/Gus, then goes up in weight and challenges the HW champ (preferably Cain), and wins...

He would undoubtedly be the greatest fighter MMA has ever seen. Could there really be any argument at that point?

Or would the blind haters and nuthuggers still say otherwise? (this is coming from a fedor/GSP fan too)

2. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

if he beats Cain, ofc he is GOAT.

there is only one way to change this, and this is for a goat to beat a goat (via GSP vs Spider).

3. fordman7795

fordman7795 Brown Belt

As you describe, there is no arugment at that point. There would be argument before that.

4. king56

king56 Green Belt

i dunno, if they fought at this point they would be kind of past their primes....

unless GSP came back and beat Lawler and the spider got the title back (highly unlikely...)

5. SugarRayRickets

SugarRayRickets General Shenanigans

he needs to go to japan and beat up 15 pro wrestlers and game show hosts first

6. MitMcl

MitMcl Black Belt

He obviously would be if he did what you described.

Even if he didn't move up in weight and won his next 2 fights, I'd still probably consider him GOAT.

7. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

meh, a win over a GOAT not in their prime still counts for something.

look at Weidman :icon_lol:

no but seriously, if a goat beats a goat, that is the Goat.

8. Tony_Clifton

Tony_Clifton Brown Belt

Jones doesn't need to beat Cain to be GOAT. He's cleaning out 205 and beating everyone they put in front of him. What the hell has Cain done to be considered the stepping stone to greatness? 2 wins over JDS and Bigfoot and winning the title from Lesnar. I'm a fan if Velasquez but this notion that he's the greatest HW of all time is ridiculous.

9. lelouch

lelouch Purple Belt

He is already GOAT in my book. More fights its just bonus.

10. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

it's not about beating Cain, but beating him makes Jones the lineal heavyweight champ (aka the baddest man on the planet). HW title is the best of all titles...so that's why i say he'd become goat.

also winning title at different weight classes cements the notion he is p4p the best if he can excel at different weights.

11. Senkoy

Senkoy Purple Belt

If he beats Cain he will be GOAT, and it wont even be close imo. But he doesn't need to beat him to be GOAT. He's already close. He may have already surpassed GSP with this win over the talented Cormier. It wont be long before he surpasses Fedor and Silva in my book.

12. Tearjerker

Tearjerker Orange Belt

JJ is a great fighter and easily the best LHW of all time but he's got some work left to become GOAT. I don't really understand how people can call him GOAT already, by doing so they're doing the history of the sport a great disservice. By no meaningful metric could he be considered the clear cut GOAT as of right now. He doesn't have the record for most title defenses, nor the record for most title fight victories, nor best record in the UFC, nor has he had the most finishes, and he has not won the most fights over top competition (see Rester's thread http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/documented-top-ten-wins-mma-fighters-pride-ufc-2166169/). In order to be hands down GOAT like a Gretzky or Jordan he would have to dominate these types of records (or at the very least hold a majority of them). JJ could smash all these records if he continues at this pace, but as of right now he's still got a ways to go to even be in the conversation and even further than that to be the consensus GOAT.

**Edit this is assuming he stays at LHW and doesn't fight/beat Cain

13. blaccbeard

blaccbeard Dad Belt

He's already the Goat, destroyed all the greatest LHW's. Then dominated a top 3 undefeated HW while walking through bombs and hard uppercuts that have KO'd other HW's.

Jones is the greatest fighter who ever lived.

Anderson and GSP are 2a and 2b.

14. Yolandabecool**

Yolandabecool** Brown Belt

He hasn't gone up weight weight like Anderson & he rarely finishes fights BUT

15. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

If he does them at cruiserweight/heavyweight, then absolutely.

LHW GOAT, only to be argued by Wandy's run (sorry if you new fans can't understand that, but you really had to be alive and paying attention then).

But Jones is badass. I hope his fans are having fun fapping over it.

16. Doomer

Doomer Brown Belt

When did he destroy Gustafsson?

17. SpidermanISGOAT

SpidermanISGOAT Purple Belt

10 title defenses go to hw. Win hw belt all time goat that would be hard to best for anyone

all time GOAT status is something you give to long run domination. And usually beating bigger opponents. For hw its the ultimatr weight clsss usually assoviated with baddest man on earth. Going up in weight and beating bigger guys and winning the belt would definitely be goat status.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  18. Tweak896

Tweak896 Brown Belt

I dunno if he fought Gus, Rumble, Phil. There are no more questions at Lhw. I mean even Phil Davis isn't much of a threat, it would be more of a match so he gets them all.
    Then he should take a break, bulk and take on Cain (god I can see the injury coming).

I think if rumble takes out gus, that would be jones's hardest test. He's prepared for gus before and likely has reviewed so much tape it is sickening.

19. Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex White Belt

If he beats the winner of Gus/Rumble (especially if it is Gus), I'd consider him the GOAT. No need to go up to HW, he's a LHW and he has dominated his division.

20. blaccbeard

blaccbeard Dad Belt

I said GREATEST LHW's. Gus is no where near one of the greats. He only has 1 top 10 win his whole career, an already Jones destroyed Shogun. And he couldn't even finish Shogun. Gus is a great mma boxer, but that's about it. Jones is a great mma fighter, which is why he didn't wilt in the championship rounds like Gus did. Gus isn't championship material.