2 day split questions

T

tinker_190

Ok guys, first off, how y'all doing? I want to start this thread friendly just in case I get flamed.

So, recently, I decided to start practicing jiu jitsu again. The new place I am going to be practicing at has sessions Monday through Thursday. I want to continue strength training in addition to these practices.

Previously, I had used just the basic three day template found in the FAQ, and had dabbled in BFS. Now, I think I should switch off to 2 days a week, allowing myself to recover on Sunday.

My question is: can the two day split in the FAQ be back to back?

I want to really push myself in the weight room and increase my strength and maybe put on a few pounds of lean mass.

So, basically, would this work? I am nervous about overtraining as well:

Su-REST
M- BJJ
T - BJJ
W- BJJ
R- BJJ

F -
Deadlift 5X5
OHP 5x5
Pullups
Neck strengthening (bridges, etc.) & Weighted abdominal work
cardiovascular conditiong

Sa -
Clean 5 x 1
Squat 5 x 5
Bench - 5x5
BOR - 5x5
maybe some extra shrugs, and extra cardio, and grip work

Additionally questions:

- Has anybody out there run a similar schedule? If so, how did you structure your diet? How did your body react?

- How do you pick what weight to use on a 5x5 program? Is there some sort of percentage you choose each time?

STATS, to help answer questions:
- 6'3", 190 lbs, fairly lean
- Maxes: Squat 315, Bench 215, Dead 385, Clean 195
- Pretty good recovery time

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided. I will start a log soon if I figure out a good schedule. I want to run this through at least August.

If your BJJ is in the morning (and you have time with work and/or school) I'd try to get at least one day where you do BJJ in the morning and lift at night (or vice versa if BJJ is at night) and then Friday or Saturday can be the second day in the two-day split.

So maybe:

Monday: BJJ

Tuesday: BJJ + 5x5

Wednesday: BJJ

Thursday: BJJ

Friday: 5x5

Saturday and Sunday: Rest

Something like that would be better, IMO.

I will go without cardiovascular conditiong on fridays and saturdays, and will do just basic exercises.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 2 day per week routine, but you don't have enough rest time to do stuff on Fri and Sat like that. Maybe you could do a Hepburnish style of upper and lower body separately. Bench and OHP one day and Squat and DL the other. Since everything is so packed in there, I would just do those two things and maybe one assistance exercise.

Good luck trying to figure this all out!

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 2 day per week routine, but you don't have enough rest time to do stuff on Fri and Sat like that. Maybe you could do a Hepburnish style of upper and lower body separately. Bench and OHP one day and Squat and DL the other. Since everything is so packed in there, I would just do those two things and maybe one assistance exercise.

Good luck trying to figure this all out!

Hepburnish? Googling...

Hepburnish? Googling...

I made that word up, but the guy you are looking for is Doug Hepburn. Just be careful, some guy named Mike Mahler basterdized his routine. If you go out to Tnation and search for his name, it should bring up a thread where a guy named Twiceborne talks about the program. It is short and sweet, but gets the job done.

Here is part of what I was talking about.

"First 3-4 months:
one set of 5 at 50%
60% x 1
70% x 1
80% x 1
4-10 singles @ 90% ("A Routine")

when you peak out and cant add any more weight...

Second 3-4 months:
one set of 5 at 50%
60% x 1
70% x 1
80% or thereabouts for 4-10 sets of 3 ("B Routine")

OR

80% for 3/3/3/3/3 building to 5/5/5/5/5 ("C Routine")

I know its confusing because most of the online information shows him using the power and pump phases together in the same workout, but he advised me NOT to do that, and mentions the same in his videos."

So those are the 3 routines you can use in a nutshell. He also talks about his specific lifts he uses, but like I mentioned earlier you could do Bench and OHP on one workout and then Squat and Deadlift on the next. I would try to workout 3 days per week, but 2 also works for this. You just do one workout and then the other... just keep doing them in order. So twice a week is easy, you just do both one time. 3 days a week makes it so you bench twice one week and then 1 time the next week. I would start with the A routine. I did the A and B routines in the past, I never tried the C routine. Then just throw in one assistance exercise for a couple of sets IF you need it.

Quick edit, I see that this info I posted doesn't show how to go about the sets. Start at 4 sets and every time you go add another set. Once you get to 10 sets, add some weight (5-10lbs) and start again at 4 sets. The A routine is 1 rep per set, B is 3 (and both of those go 4-10 sets). C keeps the same number of sets the entire time, but you try to add at least 1 rep a week. I think you could do a little more, if you wanted to make it a 6 time cycle like the A and B routines. SO if you workout twice per week, every 6 weeks you would be adding weight. Don't start too heavy either, I would do 85-90% 1rm for the A routine. Like 5,3,1 if you start too heavy the end results aren't so good.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back