1st fight scheduled for next year!

never enough

Colour my life with the Chaos of trouble
@Orange
Reaction score
I’m I crazy for getting in the ring for the 1st time at 45yo? It’s a novice Muay Thai event so it will be padded And will possibly do a corporate boxing match as well (there is an age limit on boxing but not Muay Thai)
I’ve trained for a few years in Muay Thai and 2 years boxing. I figure if I can keep up with the fight team training I’ll be fine, I’m the oldest and smallest by far
Any advice for an old man?

I’m I crazy for getting in the ring for the 1st time at 45yo? It’s a novice Muay Thai event so it will be padded And will possibly do a corporate boxing match as well (there is an age limit on boxing but not Muay Thai)
I’ve trained for a few years in Muay Thai and 2 years boxing. I figure if I can keep up with the fight team training I’ll be fine, I’m the oldest and smallest by far

You'll be absolutely fine. Best of luck.

It’s not until March so I have plenty of time to get ready. My main concern is cardio. It would be embarrassing to gas out mid fight

Best thing to do is honestly lots of bag work and sparring to get that cardio. Don't bank on jumping rope and running to do the trick, because it doesn't always carry over like you'd expect it to. So make sure you do 5 rounds of bag work (minimum) as often as you can and really go for it to get your body used to conserving energy while punching and kicking

It’s not until March so I have plenty of time to get ready. My main concern is cardio. It would be embarrassing to gas out mid fight

Don't worry about that. You could be in better shape than Tyson, you'll both probably gas your first fight. Learning to control your breathe in a fight takes time. All the nerves etc. The closest practice you'll get to it is hard sparring. Just train hard and do your best and you'll be fine.

What kind of event? I got into striking way late as well (lots of grappling comps in comparison) but would like to try it out eventually.
Also, what is a corporate boxing match?

What kind of event? I got into striking way late as well (lots of grappling comps in comparison) but would like to try it out eventually.
Also, what is a corporate boxing match?
Novice Muay Thai which is 16oz gloves and shinguards it’s usually the 1st step for fighters 3 x 2 minutes rounds
Corporate boxing is also called white collar boxing which is usually sponsored for charity. 16oz gloves 3 rounds
There are far more rules around corporate boxing over here because a few people have died in the ring due to terrible match ups etc

Novice Muay Thai which is 16oz gloves and shinguards it’s usually the 1st step for fighters 3 x 2 minutes rounds
Corporate boxing is also called white collar boxing which is usually sponsored for charity. 16oz gloves 3 rounds
There are far more rules around corporate boxing over here because a few people have died in the ring due to terrible match ups etc

Do you wear headgear?

Don't worry about that. You could be in better shape than Tyson, you'll both probably gas your first fight. Learning to control your breathe in a fight takes time. All the nerves etc. The closest practice you'll get to it is hard sparring. Just train hard and do your best and you'll be fine.

A good bridge is bringing your fighter to someone else’s gym for rounds. It’s practice nerves for the big night

A good bridge is bringing your fighter to someone else’s gym for rounds. It’s practice nerves for the big night
I can go to sparring nights at a few other gyms but they will all have fighters at the same event so potentially would meet my opponent, otherwise match ups and weigh ins are on the day

I had one year of boxing training before my match (before that year I had several years of JKD and half a year of BJJ. Within that year of training I had to take off a month in the summer, 1.5 weeks at Christmas, and 3 weeks for surgery on my foot. I'm white collar and was 32 at the time of my match. I was well prepared and matched evenly against someone who had more experience but also had zero bouts. The number of bouts really matters as there is a huge difference in ability between someone with 0 and someone with 1 and so on.

You'll be fine. I'm sure you will be conditioned, but remember the role of strategy and technique. Those things go a long way.

Back