1st Day Rolling, 2nd Day training..

Good choice picking the bjj black belt to train with. I don't think you'll regret it.

I've had 3 real BJJ sessions (taught by guys who know what theyre doing..not shams), only rolled in two of them so far. I've "lost" every time but gained great feedback and insight into how to improve on what I missed.

Of course...I'm rolling with guys who have months of training onto my couple days, so I don't feel bad about it.

It will make that first real sub all the better!

Good choice picking the bjj black belt to train with. I don't think you'll regret it.

Me? I'm not, he is a really good guy, helps you whenever you need it, works 1 on 1, etc. Great coach.

Me? I'm not, he is a really good guy, helps you whenever you need it, works 1 on 1, etc. Great coach.

You were trying to decide between your school/Morrisey's/Allegiance right? Or maybe I mixed you up with someone else?

So let's say I'm in bottom position in a knee ride (that is half-guard?): in order to score points I would have to put my opponent back in my guard then sweep them. I couldn't just reverse them from half-guard? I think that's pretty fucking lame, especially considering that it is very possible that I could wind up in the same top position with either one. Do you get points for passing someone's guard? So if I reversed someone from half-guard bottom and ended up with side control or something I could at least get points for that.

Sorry if I sound like a noob. I was in an all-around "MMA club" at the university I attended last year and we never learned about the points system in BJJ competition. I have experience on the mat but I'm not familiar with the scoring system. I think it's pretty lame that I could go from bottom to the same top position but whether or not I get points points for it depends on what bottom position I was in.

Knee ride is not half-guard, you get points for sweeping from half-guard, not for reversing from kneeride.

Knee ride is not half-guard, you get points for sweeping from half-guard, not for reversing from kneeride.

One guy at my gym refers to deep half guard as a leg ride. Perhaps thats what he's referring to.

took me at least 8 months into training before i could tap a quality guy. Ofc i tapped all the shitty new guys but to tap someone who used to demolish me when i started, it took me so long!
Its easier to tap smaller, weaker, less experienced i.e no challenge guys than it is to tap people who give you a challenge!

I used to savour any tap i got to a new guy , until i realized it was useless Because i am tapping someone who has no clue what hes doing. The good feeling will come when you tap someone who used to fuck you up day in and day out

but on the flip side, it doesnt matter who you tap or who you dont tap. It only matters in competitons.. so win or loose, its all a learning experiance in the gym

Last edited:
I'm not bragging I'm just talking about my first experience rolling, believe me I know I'm in for more than my fair share of ass beatings

You sort of are. I don't see anyone having said this yet, but you didn't "win" any matches and you sure didn't "lose"

You win in a tournament. Not a friendly roll.

a reversal does not give you any points.

while a sweep would give you 2 points.

I always thought u get points for this (being mounted then reversing to where you land on his guard), oh well, learn something new everyday. hehe

Back