1st annual Sherdog S&P Weighted Pull-up Contest Jamboree

awesome to see that so many are getting in on this.

reakt said:
No shit here's me:

height - 5' 11.5"
weight - 176
5RM - 55lbs

lol

we're chin twins! lol.

Sean S said:
Fuck pull ups.

much anger i sense in this one.

pariah, you are a brick house mang.

rickdog: QUIT WHORING UP THE THREAD!!! we've got enough people to go ahead and start, but we'll make the 'official' start date sunday (10/9/05). as for the reps, i picked 5 pretty much at random, why do you want to change it to three?

Remy, I will not play if you keep yelling at me..........

On a more serious note, the less reps the better IMO. If 5 is what you and the rest of the guys want then thats fine, I will play within the rules. I guess 3 suits me better as I don't care much for doing many reps with weight. Just my personal preferance.

Height 5 feet 5 inches
Weight 160pds
5 RM Max added 10pds

Have not done these in a long time. Now its time to do them..

Jesus, some good numbers here.

Me:

Height 5'7"

Weight 190 lbs.

5RM 15lbs.

Pretty fucking gay!!

I just looked through my log for interest. Could only find a 2 rm : 105 lbs @ 190 lbs bw deadhang to chest touching.
Anyway. I wish you lots of fun with the greatest exercise arround :)

Sonny said:
Jesus, some good numbers here.

Me:

Height 5'7"

Weight 190 lbs.

5RM 15lbs.

Pretty fucking gay!!

Wait, wait, wait...you can pull 1-friggin-75 with the RT ... but can only do 5rm with 15 extra lbs? You are indeed a strange man...freak. :D

Shit, I don't think I'll be able to compete. I'm planning an Anatomical Adaptation phase right now.

sweet im in !! , have not trained properly in fucking too long .. need to get back in

height - 5'8

weight - 148/150 lbs (will check later)

5RM - NFI

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 170
5RM: 25lbs

(kinda proud of that as id never done a weighted chin up before)

New 5RM on 10/10/05: 35lbs

Greatest 5RM: 45lbs

I was really enjoying this comp. until i fucked my shoulder so I have'nt been able to really take part for the last month and a half.

yomon said:
5' 10 @ 267lbs ?!

DEAR GOD! How much is muscle? obviously a greater percentage if you can manage 7 reps at that bodywieght.

i'd get in on this but have no access to a suitable bar to hold my wieght + some

I'm about 24% bodyfat. Last year at this time i was 290lbs. at 33% bodyfat and could do 2-3 chins. And for chins i do believe in doing negatives. I'm going to start doing negatives with weight this weekend.

this is going to be fun...i am curious to see how much all of us improve

killer_kicks88 said:
this is going to be fun...i am curious to see how much all of us improve

indeed.

its nice to see so many signed up. another thing that would be cool, is to put a personal goal in your info post i.e. id put "i want to do 5 pullups with 1/2 my BW added."

rEmY said:
listen up bicycle seat sniffers:

here's a good chance to test out those lats, and hopefully get an increase in your pansy back.

rules:
starts: October 9, 2005 ends: December 9, 2005 (dont worry bout starting late, sign up anyway)
pull up standards:
1. ill let you decide on palms facing or palms away.
2. as i know not everybody has a chinning belt, method of adding weight will be up to your discretion (backpack, belt, etc...) although if you can do a chinup with a 90 pound dumbell clenched in your teeth, you automatically win.
3. this will not be a 1 RM competition. why? because, unlike other lifts, its too easy to cheat a little. therefore, a 5 rep max will be the standard. why? arbitrary.
4. use good form. this is done on the honor system. hang at bottom, pull until chin above bar, slight pause, descend, slight pause before next rep. this is so you dont start vandamme spiral kicking your way to another rep.

winners will be announced after two months, with the following awards:
most weight chinned
greatest improvement
winners will get a cool sig like: "gets mistaken for a flying squirrel" or "cannot wipe his own ass"
if youre up for this, post in this thread the following:
1. height
2. starting weight
3. starting 5 RM pullup

then, as the contest progresses, keep your starting numbers in your post and then include any increases/changes as you feel necessary.

additionally if anybody has any additional suggestions, let me know. train hard motherfuckers.

Only problem, palms facing isnt a pull-up its a chin using different muscles alltogether.

I say palms away 5 inches past shoulder width to ensure we are using the lats.

Diligent said:
Wait, wait, wait...you can pull 1-friggin-75 with the RT ... but can only do 5rm with 15 extra lbs? You are indeed a strange man...freak. :D

Dude my lifts are so out of whack it's not even funny!

ballsout said:
Only problem, palms facing isnt a pull-up its a chin using different muscles alltogether.

Pardon me sir but this is the First Annual Pull-up Jamboree Contest and the rules clearly state the individual decides which way the palms face...the First Annual Lat Contest is down the hall...Yea Remy i'm looking for sponsors...by the way drug testing on Friday...

one last offense
one final chance
if not it shall not be
No Guts
No Glory

-Bolt Thrower

i just recently started trainging again, not that i ever trained that much to begin with...but id like to give it a try aswell

height:5-10
weight:157lbs
5rm: 5 lbs maybe

ballsout said:

i apologize for the mishmash terminology.
the reason i set this up the way i did:
1. allowing either grip: i wanted people to use what they felt most comfortable with. for example, i cant do palms facing, my wrists dont do that. but palms facing is generally safer for the shoulder when dealing with larger amounts of weight (or so ive read).
2. grip width: why is it important to isolate the lats? a slightly wider than shoulder width grip is, for most people, a more natural and therefore more "functional" (god, i hate that word) motion. additionally, a wide grip can also compromise the shoulder.
3. finally, a lot of people are ok with the current setup so i see no reason to change it. this isnt meant to be a hardcore competiton, but a friendly way to motivate others to get some higher numbers.

Back