1st annual Sherdog S&P Weighted Pull-up Contest Jamboree

rEmY

Needs to eat more
Reaction score
listen up bicycle seat sniffers:

here's a good chance to test out those lats, and hopefully get an increase in your pansy back.

rules:
starts: October 9, 2005 ends: December 9, 2005 (dont worry bout starting late, sign up anyway)
pull up standards:
1. ill let you decide on palms facing or palms away.
2. as i know not everybody has a chinning belt, method of adding weight will be up to your discretion (backpack, belt, etc...) although if you can do a chinup with a 90 pound dumbell clenched in your teeth, you automatically win.
3. this will not be a 1 RM competition. why? because, unlike other lifts, its too easy to cheat a little. therefore, a 5 rep max will be the standard. why? arbitrary.
4. use good form. this is done on the honor system. hang at bottom, pull until chin above bar, slight pause, descend, slight pause before next rep. this is so you dont start vandamme spiral kicking your way to another rep.

winners will be announced after two months, with the following awards:
most weight chinned
greatest improvement
winners will get a cool sig like: "gets mistaken for a flying squirrel" or "cannot wipe his own ass"
if youre up for this, post in this thread the following:
1. height
2. starting weight
3. starting 5 RM pullup

then, as the contest progresses, keep your starting numbers in your post and then include any increases/changes as you feel necessary.

additionally if anybody has any additional suggestions, let me know. train hard motherfuckers.

ill go first:
initial:
height: 5'11"
weight: 175 lbs
5RM: 55 lbs

final:
weight: 172 lbs
5RM: 85

personal goal: i want to do 5 pullups with 1/2 my BW added

edit: i actually got 85x6 and nearly killed my damn fool self.

Just list how much weight you're adding. Listing it as your weight including the added weight makes me do math.

You weigh: 175

Your pullups were done with an added: 55

Cmart said:
Just list how much weight you're adding. Listing it as your weight including the added weight makes me do math.

You weigh: 175

Your pullups were done with an added: 55

ugh. fine.

weight - 143lbs.

5RM - 30lbs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: weight - 153lbs. (some holiday weight, not a 10 pound muscle gain)

5RM - 45lbs.
if i could have gained 10 pounds in MUSCLE then my numbers should have improved better, but truthfully i have just been eating like a freak since thanksgiving

weight - 165

6RM - 75 pounds, in chains

ill get down to five later

rEmY said:
ill go first:

weight: 175 lbs
5RM: 55 lbs

No shit here's me:

height - 5' 11.5"
weight - 176 NEW: 17/12- 182lbs
5RM - 55lbs NEW: 17/12- 77lbs

lol

Until I test for this specifically:

Height: 6'5"
Weight: 243 lbs
5RM: 35 lbs

> greatest improvement

Hmm, if my starting 5RM is 0 lb...

I will test this later!!!! There is nothing wrong with kicking your legs. My chinups actually look like I am riding a bicycle on the way up and then sniffing the seat on the way down. J/K Ill get back to ya with the numbers later.

Height: 5'10
weight: 267lbs
5RM: 0lbs

I can get 7 w/o weight so we'll see...I personally don't think using your legs should be allowed cause then you can turn it into a gymnastics contest...but whatever...

PariahCarey said:
Height: 5'10
weight: 267lbs
5RM: 0lbs

I can get 7 w/o weight so we'll see...I personally don't think using your legs should be allowed cause then you can turn it into a gymnastics contest...but whatever...

5' 10 @ 267lbs ?!

DEAR GOD! How much is muscle? obviously a greater percentage if you can manage 7 reps at that bodywieght.

i'd get in on this but have no access to a suitable bar to hold my wieght + some

Paraiah, I was kidding about using my legs. I think Remy stated in the rules that we will be using the honor system, and no legs are allowd.

Yomon, any access to a tree branch that might hold the weight? YOu are a body weight expert, it sounds like your type of comp. man. Hope you can find a way to join us!

Remy, is today the official start date? If not, then when are you considering starting this comp. Any way you would consider moving it to 3 reps? Just some questions to ponder and if today is official start date than simply disregard the questions. Thanks man.

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 235lb

5RM: 45lb (1 plate)

I'm fairly certain I could do more, but I haven't tried to add any more weight yet. Maybe next week...

Sorry about the post-whoring but I am impressed by the amount of guys with decent chin strength. This is going to make for a good chin competition. I look forward to the good competition once again.

Darn it, we need to have anothe one of these when I am back in the states. I built my own pullup bar here and hang it in a local park (and disassemble the thing after every use so no one steals it) and I bought a rope to tie weight on with and I bought a weight, but I only have 10 pounds now, and the most I will buy is 20 pounds.

Last year in January or December I pulled 90 pounds for a set of 3 at a body weight of 155. I was only doing my heavy sets at 3 reps at the time though, and any larger sets I dropped the weight back down to as low as 30-60 pounds (sets of up to 12 reps). So I don't have a good 5 rep max.

We will have to do this again when I have access to real weights and a real pullup bar (I cannot do it in the rain now either, as a pound forms below the bar where I am at now, and I would ahve to swim to get to it, jajaja).

Back