Economy 19 Million Public Employees Cost Taxpayers Nearly $1 Trillion

second sight

We have officially entered the "Age of Deception"
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.westernjournal.com/19-mi...dLjvjIONoglsyw

About 19 million public employees cost taxpayers nearly $1 trillion annually.

That’s according to OpenTheBooks.com, which publishes the salaries of public employees from every level of U.S. government. The online database is free and accessible to the public.

“Public service is supposed to be about serving the people,” Adam Andrzejewski, CEO and founder of OpenTheBooks.com, said. “However, the good intentions of America’s 19 million public employees come at a very high price for the people – nearly $1 trillion. In many cases, taxpayers generously fund these employee salaries.”

OpenTheBooks.com, one of the largest private databases of government spending, posts “every dime, online” of local, state, and federal government spending in the U.S. that it accesses. For this report, it filed requests and captured data from nearly 60,000 government employers, mapped the information and posted it online over the course of one year.

The data represents about 85 percent of all public employment at every level of government, the site states. The data includes employee name, salary, position title and employer for 2017.

The search function allows users to view the top 2 million public employees earning more than $95,000. Last year, about 1.7 million government employees earned $100,000 or more per year. State and local governments employed the vast majority of the six-figure earners.

Data also show that 105,000 local and state government employees earned more than every governor of all 50 U.S. states, with a salary of $190,000 or more.

Andrzejewski highlights examples of what he describes as government waste and abuse of taxpayer money. Some Chicago tree trimmers, he points out, earned $106,000 and some New York City school janitors earned $165,000 – more than the principals at the same schools, who earn $135,000.

Some lifeguards in Los Angeles County, California, earned $365,000, while the school superintendent of a small school district in Southlake, Texas, earned $420,000, Andrzejewski notes.Completing this poll entitles you to The Western Journal news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.OpenTheBooks.com urges the public to expose “waste, overspending, and bloated government” in their neighborhoods by using the site’s interactive map. Users can search by zip code and scroll down to see results in chart and map form. They can then demand accountability from their local and state governments, the site explains.

Several states exhibit some real humdingers in the field of education.

In California, for example, nearly 10,000 employees of the University of California system earned more than $200,000 – including 65 public employees who earned between $1 million and $3.6 million.

In Illinois public school districts, OpenTheBooks.com partnered with Fox 32 Chicago to investigate school superintendents. The investigation found that the superintendent of Calumet City earned $407,000 for a district with only 1,100 students and no high school. Another superintendent earned $206,000 in the New Lenox district, responsible for only 11 teachers and fewer than 100 students. Another superintendent retired on a $300,000 annual pension from the Park Forest district, and was later rehired on a $1,200-a-day consulting contract for the same position in the same district.

OpenTheBooks.com found that many city administrators, legal/law enforcement, and athletic coaches earned more than any U.S. president (whose salary is $400,000) , and more than their own state’s governor.

In Florida, the city attorney for Dania Beach, a seaside community of 32,000, was paid $436,917.

In Texas, 356 municipal employees earned more than the state’s governor, Greg Abbott. In the small town of Stanton, Texas (pop. 2,900), the city manager earned $314,696. In Whitesboro (pop. 4,000) and Manvel (pop. 10,000), city administrators earned $312,000 and $292,529, respectively.

Eight police officers and detectives at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey earned between $300,000 and $783,000 last year, according to the database.

Public college football coaches earned far more. Last year, for example, the retired University of Oregon football coach received a $558,689 annual pension, and the fired Arizona State football coach received a $15 million payout. Nick Saban, at the University of Alabama, earned $11 million.

Citizens “must insist on good government where they live,” Andrzejewski argues. “The people have the power to hold local politicians accountable for tax and spend decisions.”

“Remember, it’s your money,” Andrzejewski says. Government payrolls, he argues, are the No. 1 issue affecting state budgets and public services. More money would be accessible for public services, he says, if government salaries and pension benefits weren’t so high.

____________________________________________________________________________--

Ive said forever, they need to revue the entire government, every year spending goes up and these wages are ridiculous. audit the entire government and start over

can a mod edit the title? its suppose to say

19 Million Public Employees Cost Taxpayers Nearly $1 Trillion

Been wondering about this. We need to start looking at government as if it was overhead.

Must be nice. Makes you wonder how many of these people are providing the full value for the money. Especially when you consider that public employees are so difficult to fire after they pass probation.

another thing that gets me is, EVERY government department gets a budget based off their last budget. If they don't spend the entire budget, they get cut the next year....they never do that, they always spend every penny allocated to them

there is no taxing problem, there's a spending problem

Government employees should work for free!

No one is suggesting that. I would like to hear your argument on why we need so many employees though.
I guess put them on welfare then? What's the argument we don't need them?

Ha. I would rather spend 1 trillion on a jobs program that employs 19 million, then the 1 trillion spent on defense that supports 1/4th as many jobs.

I guess put them on welfare then? What's the argument we don't need them?
A tril is a lot of money. We should assess which positions are essential and eliminate those that aren't. Knowing how our government works, I am certain there are many bullshit jobs that don't provide value to the taxpayers.

Ha. I would rather spend 1 trillion on a jobs program that employs 19 million, then the 1 trillion spent on defense that supports 1/4th as many jobs.
I'd rather not spend money. But defense is a necessary expenditure.

A tril is a lot of money. We should assess which positions are essential and eliminate those that aren't. Knowing how our government works, I am certain there are many bullshit jobs that don't provide value to the taxpayers.
I'm sure some of them are over payed, but I know some government employee jobs where they are being under payed.

I'm sure some of them are over payed, but I know some government employee jobs where they are being under payed.
Almost everyone I talk to thinks they are underpaid. Being underpaid means you are below the market rate and you can easily get a better job. Otherwise they are being paid correctly.

Spending money on offense, for 1/4th the jobs seems rather stupid.
The government isn't in the business of buying jobs. If this is your thesis you have admitted that this is just make-work bullshit.

Almost everyone I talk to thinks they are underpaid. Being underpaid means you are below the market rate and you can easily get a better job. Otherwise they are being paid correctly.

The government isn't in the business of buying jobs. If this is your thesis you have admitted that this is just make-work bullshit.
Some are over paid and some are under paid, so I guess it evens out. ;)

This is one of those things people say, that just isn't true.

Reality is far different then the rhetoric.

You know for capitalism to really work, you would need to treat planned obscelesence like a commie revolution. It really is no different then broken windows.

So I'll tell you what, you figure out how we can stop broken windows economics in the private sector, and I will work on a solution to broken windows economics in the public sector.

local maintenance supervisor here, retired and then was ask to come back and do contract work. he made more in one year than he did in the 10 years prior to that. a fucking maintenance guy

thats the other issue, they get these great salaries retire early and many of these positions have 3 people being paid for one job

How the shit did you fuck it up so badly.
I copied the title and it had a heart and three likes that I didn't see

before you could "go advanced" and edit titles, that seems to be gone

Back