17 year old blue belt beats Sonny Nohara!!!!

What's the point of trying to clarify myself when I'm posting in a forum where every other post is some self involved, thinly veiled boast (if it's not a direct look at me and congratulate me thread)? I guess I should just praise John for winning tactfully given the fact that a teammate of his made the thread, where as pretty much anyone else on Sherdog would have made the "I JUST BEAT SO AND SO!!!!!! HERE IS WHO HE IS SPONSORED BY...." thread themselves.

For what it's worth, even though I'm nowhere near Sonny's level, I know how it feels to be headhunted and have people talk about beating you (or even nearly beating you) just because you've built a profile for yourself. It's not a lot of fun, but it is how it is. Each time you lose a fight like this, you get off your ass and train harder, because next time you're going to show people how good you really are. So yeah, it's annoying, but it does help motivate the people involved as well.

Just another viewpoint.

And, uh, Kenny...sorry for being a douche. @_@

*points down*

Take care,

Oli

P.S. I remember a Blue Belt beats Black Belt at FILA Worlds thread a while back where no-one ragged on the Blue Belt at all. Not sure why this gets such a different reception.

[Edit: And yes, if you want, you can take this whole post as a thily-veiled boast if you want. @_@]

[Edit2: Found it! http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/b...bastos-black-belt-fila-worlds-2009-a-1117912/ ]

Last edited:
So you know, I read your posts in a British accent Oli, therefore it is charming by nature and cannot be douchey whatsoever. But I will respectfully point out the difference in thread titles between this, and your example as a final note between exiting this train wreck.

Man this guy look incredible.

It reminds me of the last time I got smashed. Some 17 year old blue belt from Cyborg's just destroyed me and then went on to have a competive match against Matt Aroyo.

There are going to be a ton of these young killers coming out. The blue belt rank can be kind of deceiving when the IBJJF mandates a minimum age for upper belts.

I saw the end of the fight. And all the loud cheering. I was on the far side.

Props to John.
Every dog has his day. It's a fight, a zero sum game.

As mentioned there are a lot of young up and coming prodigies. Youths who have been on the mat from 4-5yo learning both submission, judo and wrestling.
It should also be remembered that behind every great child athlete are the parents and people sacrificing so much for them, taking them to practice, tournies on weekends, making food, the team and coaches, etc.

First off congrats to the kid. Sonny is one of my professors and a blackbelt under Drydale. Sonny has nothing to be ashamed of whoever said that is missing a few. Watching the video it was clear to see that Sonny's was never in any danger and the kid won on the strength of his wrestling he was defending subs and sweeps the entire match. I also feel the the thread title was disrespectful towards Sonny.

Honestly had it not been posted like that (17yr old beats BB) then I would not have bothered to open the link. The fact that it was phrased like that got me interested in viewing the video.

I didnt find it disrespectful at all, it is what it is.

EXACTLY. To defend myself here, I was trying to be as considerate as possible when creating this thread, while somehow balancing an appeal... plain and simple. If I were to write "17 year old wins NAGA no-gi expert," it wouldn't receive near the attention that it has.

That being said, I have met Sonny before, and have nothing but praise for the guy. I have said several times, that personally, if the match were to continue past the 6 minute mark, that I have zero doubt that Sonny would've caught John in a sub. In absolutely no way, ZERO WAY, was I trying to disrespect Sonny here, as I am more than aware that Sonny would beat my ass in a no-gi event, he's a local boy, and I am not an internet warrior.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the title, or claiming Sonny's credentials, but the fact of the matter is..... Kenny is still a big, giant, stinky, douche.

First off congrats to the kid. Sonny is one of my professors and a blackbelt under Drydale. Sonny has nothing to be ashamed of whoever said that is missing a few. Watching the video it was clear to see that Sonny's was never in any danger and the kid won on the strength of his wrestling he was defending subs and sweeps the entire match. I also feel the the thread title was disrespectful towards Sonny.

now this is disrespectful.

not giving the kid props and saying this kid won with just his wrestling is BS.

and trying to rationalize that sonny somehow didn't lose the bjj match just the sub grappling match?

Jeezus H. Christ.........
This is the problem with sherdog. Everyone gets their panties in a wad because of some self perceived slight. Get over yourself.
This post is a simple statement of facts, nothing more.
Was he a 17 year old kid?- YEP
Is he a Blue Belt?- YEP
Did he beat a Black Belt?- YEP
Was verification provided?- YEP

All the rest of the drama brought into this thread by others is just worthless hyperbole & has nothing to do with the facts.
If you don't like the facts denying them or trying to raise issues with the way they are presented won't change them, deal with it. Otherwise you just make yourself look petty & whiny.

Strength of wrestling? Hahahaha, maybe one year or more of high school wrestling? Thats the funniest shit I read all day. He is training jiu jitsu then everything else. He may not even be a State champ in wrestling as far as I know. He has not entered or competed in college or olympic in wrestling. He is no Matt Hamil or Matt Lindland. Strength of wrestling, hahahaha, classic.

John is the man, whereever he lands and whatever he does AFTER highschool, I sure he will do well. I will always remember him training as a white belt in the kids class and seeing him progress throughout the years. First training/rolling with kids, then adults. Go for it John you are the future of this sport.

Strength of wrestling? Hahahaha, maybe one year orp more of high school wrestling? Thats the funniest shit I read all day. He is training jiu jitsu then everything else. He may not even be a State champ in wrestling as far as I know. He has not entered or competed in college or olympic in wrestling. He is no Matt Hamil or Matt Lindland. Strength of wrestling, hahahaha, classic.

John is the man, whereever he lands and whatever he does AFTER highschool, I sure he will do well. I will always remember him training as a white belt in the kids class and seeing him progress throughout the years. First training/rolling with kids, then adults. Go for it John you are the future of this sport.

Regardless he won the fight on takedowns for the entire match he was defending sweeps and submissions.

Hey now fellas....! It was an incredible match with two excellent grapplers. I highly doubt if John/Sonny were discussing this bout they'd be arguing about it. Respect to both guys, they both went out there and fought their heart out, and we are all richer for having had the opportunity to watch it.

What's the point of trying to clarify myself when I'm posting in a forum where every other post is some self involved, thinly veiled boast (if it's not a direct look at me and congratulate me thread)? I guess I should just praise John for winning tactfully given the fact that a teammate of his made the thread, where as pretty much anyone else on Sherdog would have made the "I JUST BEAT SO AND SO!!!!!! HERE IS WHO HE IS SPONSORED BY...." thread themselves.

Guilty, but isn't the web all about epeen anyhow?

Regardless he won the fight on takedowns for the entire match he was defending sweeps and submissions.

Yes this is absolutely true... however, sonny was also defending the guard pass the entire time as well. we get it sonny is your teacher, and this match does not take anything away from him being a great grappler and teacher. just please consider that john didn't just take him down, stall, get back up, and take him down yet again. he was actively trying to pass and advance the entire match.

He did Juvenile at the worlds, he turns 18 in 1 month, the rules clearly say that you cant juvenile if you turn 18 in the same year..LOL

He did Juvenile at the worlds, he turns 18 in 1 month, the rules clearly say that you cant juvenile if you turn 18 in the same year..LOL

Are you sure? I think as long as he is still 17 he is eligible.

please provide documentation here. just checked the website, and it didn't say anything about this issue. also, the teens are required to check in with an ID of some sort... if this was the case, it would definitely be caught...

Back