17 year old blue belt beats Sonny Nohara!!!!

good on the kid, he had some really close moments there but thats the breaks

thank you guys for the kind words about this kid. he works so hard at such a young age... i hope he gets picked up by some big sponsors, as he will definitely be going a long way.

Was the final score 4-2? It looked like John got 2 takedowns and the other guy got a sweep at the end.

Very good scrambles.
Is it me or did the other guy look like he was playing too lazy?
I just think that you can't take people lightly these days.

Was the final score 4-2? It looked like John got 2 takedowns and the other guy got a sweep at the end.

Very good scrambles.
Is it me or did the other guy look like he was playing too lazy?
I just think that you can't take people lightly these days.

I thought the same thing, about the black belt being lazy. Thats the way I spar against a white belt when I just want to relax and let them work a little to try stuff out.

Great match.
Makes me proud to be a Relson student, the level of expertise you get is second to none.

awesome match, isnt sonny a bb under laimon? but now trains in drysdales? not to hijack but whats the story with that?

I believe Sonny got his brown belt from Laimon before moving on to Drysdale's where he got his BB sometime in 2009..or was it 2008. It was sometime then.

Kenny... this is BJJ bro... these things happen to the best of them. I am sure that when sonny was coming through the ranks he took out some top dogs. this is a thread to support john and not to slam sonny. i have no doubt that if the match was 10 minutes, sonny would've taken john's back and choked him.

Dude there is nothing wrong with posting the match (after all, it happened didn't it?) and there is nothing wrong of being proud of the kid either. Sonny is a tough grappler. but making a post specifically gloating about beating one person, referring to John as "17 year old kid" in the title, using four exclamation marks and listing Sonny's credentials... a bit much. Would think that someone who is so proud of being a Relson student would have a bit more class.

Dude there is nothing wrong with posting the match (after all, it happened didn't it?) and there is nothing wrong of being proud of the kid either. Sonny is a tough grappler. but making a post specifically gloating about beating one person, referring to John as "17 year old kid" in the title, using four exclamation marks and listing Sonny's credentials... a bit much. Would think that someone who is so proud of being a Relson student would have a bit more class.

So if he had posted it without the exclamation marks it would be okay? And posting it was okay just don't mention the BB was or their cred? How exactly should it have been posted? He obviously had no ill will, and not everyone is going to be up to date on your nebulous code of conduct. I realize you are an excitable character (we've done this dance before) but I think you are a good poster and should just cut this guy a little slack.

Honestly, you're jumping all over this guy questioning his character seems a little much, imo. Sonny is obviously an awesome grappler, and with 30 seconds more he might have finished John. It was a great match and both deserve respect.

So if he had posted it without the exclamation marks it would be okay? And posting it was okay just don't mention the BB was or their cred? How exactly should it have been posted? He obviously had no ill will, and not everyone is going to be up to date on your nebulous code of conduct. I realize you are an excitable character (we've done this dance before) but I think you are a good poster and should just cut this guy a little slack.

Honestly, you're jumping all over this guy questioning his character seems a little much, imo. Sonny is obviously an awesome grappler, and with 30 seconds more he might have finished John. It was a great match and both deserve respect.

Going to have to weigh in with Kenny on this one. It's called tact. Most people don't have much and the internet is full of individuals completely lacking it.

Great match for John. Sonny's a tough guy and it's awesome getting competitive experience against people of his level at such a young age. That said, the way the post was written was completely inconsiderate and in poor taste--even though it was not intended to come across in that way.

If you've never won anything before, I suppose it would be difficult to understand the concept of "winning gracefully." Most idiots at Jiu-Jitsu tournaments try to do backflips and scream in a language they don't even know because they saw someone else do it, too. John didn't do that--John won gracefully. The thread title is not in the same spirit of toughness and sportsmanship that John and Sonny displayed.

good lord, THIS is what people choose to waste their emotions on? four exclamation points? wow, I would hate to see your reaction to a late fee on a movie rental... (don't get mad at those 3 periods, they are actually ellipsis so its cool).

Going to have to weigh in with Kenny on this one. It's called tact. Most people don't have much and the internet is full of individuals completely lacking it.

Great match for John. Sonny's a tough guy and it's awesome getting competitive experience against people of his level at such a young age. That said, the way the post was written was completely inconsiderate and in poor taste--even though it was not intended to come across in that way.

If you've never won anything before, I suppose it would be difficult to understand the concept of "winning gracefully." Most idiots at Jiu-Jitsu tournaments try to do backflips and scream in a language they don't even know because they saw someone else do it, too. John didn't do that--John won gracefully. The thread title is not in the same spirit of toughness and sportsmanship that John and Sonny displayed.

I'm trying to too see where you guys are coming from... I really am. In my competitive experience, not necessarily stellar, but pretty lengthy, the idea of "winning gracefully" is reserved for the moment, and generally limited to the participants. John won gracefully, you already mentioned that. The kid never said a word so him and his win are out of this equation.

I'm curious, in your competition experience would you really be upset if a friend, fan or teammate cheers their guy? There are some outrageous examples but over all you block that out. You've been under the lights right (edit: I'm thinking of specific instances in other peoples backyards)?? Sometimes people are screaming their heads off, jumping up and down, they are looking right at you screaming and would rather see you fucking explode than go out there and beat their guy on his home turf.... do you give a shit?? No. You step out there and do what you do.

And if you are good, and someone who's not supposed to beat you does, don't get mad because you hear about it somewhere. You know that shit gets around and it is what it is.

The issue is not about winning gracefully, it's the spirit in which the post was made as you said.

Playing devil's advocate, I can see that maybe the hyperbolic nature of the title might be a little off putting. I re-read the post, and it seemed pretty neutral/factual.

Still, the fact is we agree that it wasn't intentional, ....he's excited for his friend/training partner.

yea i'm not quite sure how people are getting so offended by this thread.

good lord, THIS is what people choose to waste their emotions on? four exclamation points? wow, I would hate to see your reaction to a late fee on a movie rental... (don't get mad at those 3 periods, they are actually ellipsis so its cool).

i just read this and fucking choked... lol.

Agreed, I am wondering if some of those upset are friends or if their trainer is a close friend of the gentleman who lost.

For Christs sake take a peek at most threads here when someone gets beat.

rofl

Not really taking either side because really, it's the internet and who cares... BUT I can see where Kenny is coming from and I like how you guys pick out the least important part of his argument (the exclamation marks) and made it your focus. I think what he's saying is it's really how he worded the title. "17 year old blue belt beats Sonny Nohara" It wasn't "John Hommel" or "young phenomenon" or w/e it was worded to make it sound like this known bb got beat by some random kid.

But yeah fourfif is right there is obviously no ill will. Just seeing where Kenny is coming from.

Not really taking either side because really, it's the internet and who cares... BUT I can see where Kenny is coming from and I like how you guys pick out the least important part of his argument (the exclamation marks) and made it your focus. I think what he's saying is it's really how he worded the title. "17 year old blue belt beats Sonny Nohara" It wasn't "John Hommel" or "young phenomenon" or w/e it was worded to make it sound like this known bb got beat by some random kid.

But yeah fourfif is right there is obviously no ill will. Just seeing where Kenny is coming from.

Honestly had it not been posted like that (17yr old beats BB) then I would not have bothered to open the link. The fact that it was phrased like that got me interested in viewing the video.

I didnt find it disrespectful at all, it is what it is.

if the black belt lost to a 17 year old blue belt then he got beat. that's it.

it doesn't matter how you word it; it happened and nothing is going to change it.

that's humbling enough.

a sherdog thread doesn't change squat.

Back