17 year old blue belt beats Sonny Nohara!!!!

Ghost Dog

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Here is the latest footage of 17 year old high school student, John Hommel (Relson Gracie Hawaii) at this weekends NAGA Hawaii event. Sonny Nohara is an amazing guy and this is no disrespect to him in anyway. Rather, this is a great achievement for such a young grappler.

John is a 4 stripe blue belt under Relson Gracie, and Sonny Nohara is a blackbelt under Drysdale I believe? He's also sponsored by shoyoroll.

Congrats to John, and I hope he gets some big attention after this fight.

PS - The guy coaching John is relson gracie black belt, and my instructor, Ronn Shiraki of Ronnshiraki.com.

YouTube - John Hommel vs. Sonny Nohara Expert No Gi NAGA 2010

Last edited:
Terrific base and sub "D"!

Any Judo or Wrestling in this kids background? Never mind found a link, apparently he was ranked in the top 6 in HI last season at his weight in HS wrestling too.

Kudos to him.

How did they fight if one was a blackbelt and the other was a blue? Did the bluebelt sign up for the advance division?

Very nice I have heard, and seen a couple of video's of John, and know that he is very good. Kinda embarrassing for Sonny if you ask me though, John was a beast in that fight though, didn't give him an inch.
And yeah he signed up for the expert division, pretty common I do as well.

Terrific base and sub "D"!

Any Judo or Wrestling in this kids background? Never mind found a link, apparently he was ranked in the top 6 in HI last season at his weight in HS wrestling too.

Kudos to him.

daaaaaaam!!!

i suppose i should put it this way: the kid looks like his wrestling is on a high level. From a strategic standpoint he had a great matchup versus someone who did not want to wrestle- his base was indeed off the charts. Whether or not he has developed the passing ability of a black belt was irrelevant because all he had to do was stay on the defensive in scrambles and win on points.

Also, I know the TS says no disrespect but how would you feel in Sonny's shoes?

Last edited:
Wow, as if you haven't been enough of a douche in past posts...
Classy post bro.

I've actually trained with John at Gracie Kaneohe. Safe to say this kid is absolutely phenomenal. He wrestled for the first time last year. BJJ is his life and I have no doubt he'll be a big name in a few years

How did they fight if one was a blackbelt and the other was a blue? Did the bluebelt sign up for the advance division?

he won intermediate adult no gi at last years naga, and naga forced him into the adult expert division this year. after he beat sonny, they forced him into the adult purple division, where he took 3rd.

he wrestled last year for his local public high school, and only does judo once a week at the relson academy. the kid is a phenom and he works so hard.

Also, I know the TS says no disrespect but how would you feel in Sonny's shoes?

i would definitely feel humbled in this situation. but you know what, we are all humbled at one point or another in jiu jitsu... that's how it goes, and that's why we all stick around in the game. at first, i didn't feel it was fair to post this thread/video, but the more i thought about it, the more i realize this is BJJ, and that's simply how it goes sometimes.

Damn John is obviously a stud. Looks impossible to sweep

Wow, as if you haven't been enough of a douche in past posts...
Classy post bro.

Kenny... this is BJJ bro... these things happen to the best of them. I am sure that when sonny was coming through the ranks he took out some top dogs. this is a thread to support john and not to slam sonny. i have no doubt that if the match was 10 minutes, sonny would've taken john's back and choked him.

how long was the match duration? My comp cannot load the video, my comp sucks. I saw part of the match at the event though but had no idea how long it was. And John is a beast, he has beaten me twice on points and his base is damn good. Also his sub defense.

Kenny... this is BJJ bro... these things happen to the best of them. I am sure that when sonny was coming through the ranks he took out some top dogs. this is a thread to support john and not to slam sonny. i have no doubt that if the match was 10 minutes, sonny would've taken john's back and choked him.

Yeah bro, he was barely hanging on at the end there. Makes me wonder why Sonny didn't get going earlier.

Great effort by John in this match. I hope I get a chance to face him, he is in the same bracket is me at No Gi worlds in two weeks.

this thread is missing something....

edit: from 2:30 to about 3:21 it was just sonny throwing the kitchen sink at this kid. he weathered the storm really well... He was floating and he crossed his legs at one point for balance, it was just fun to watch. great match.

Last edited:
Back