16oz Training Gloves

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know this has been done to death, and I feel bad for starting yet another thread on this, but I keep going in circles. I live in the UK, so finding alot of brands for a reasonable price is hard. I had finally settled on twins boxing gloves so i went to a local shop to try them and now im not sure. Firstly they were huge, they were 16oz but looked more like 20 because of the low density padding for sparring. I do want to spar in them, but also want to do some heavy bad work. Not alot, but some, so I figure something with a more medium density would be better. Not so much I cant spar in them, but enough that they wont deform with light bag work. I also Didnt like the wrists on the twins. I felt like all the padding was on the knuckles and that made them too big, while the wrist lacked anything.

The only other gloves they had were cletos that were out of my price range, and venom gloves. I liked the wrist alot better on the venoms, but they didnt seem as good quality somehow. Maybe because of the shape, they dont naturally curve into a fist as much as the twins did.

I have about

Alrite mate, I just order the Ring to Cage MiM foam safety strap, worked out around

I think they're no longer taking any orders through their website (Lemarr), just their ebay shop which doesn't have that much left. You could get 16s from them but it'd have to be lace-up

How many threads on this do you need btw? Just get a different Thai brand, or you could even get Western style Twins which will be smaller, or any other good brand or just get the Ringside UK ones if you're set on those because you seem to like them even though they'll more than likely be a poor purchase.

If the only criteria for these gloves is to be smaller and have better wrist support than Twins then practically everything that's been suggested to you before will still be perfectly valid, because Twins are huge and they have no wrist support unless your forearms are tree trunks.

edit: buy this immediately and be happy forever
http://www.geezersboxing.co.uk/fairtex-super-sparring-glove

Last edited:
I think they're no longer taking any orders through their website (Lemarr), just their ebay shop which doesn't have that much left. You could get 16s from them but it'd have to be lace-up

How many threads on this do you need btw? Just get a different Thai brand, or you could even get Western style Twins which will be smaller, or any other good brand or just get the Ringside UK ones if you're set on those because you seem to like them even though they'll more than likely be a poor purchase.

If the only criteria for these gloves is to be smaller and have better wrist support than Twins then practically everything that's been suggested to you before will still be perfectly valid, because Twins are huge and they have no wrist support unless your forearms are tree trunks.

edit: buy this immediately and be happy forever
http://www.geezersboxing.co.uk/fairtex-super-sparring-glove

I know im spamming the place, sorry. The problem is everytime I look at a glove that is recomended I either cant find it or the reviews are bad. They do look pretty good though, I will do some digging but they are the best so far I think.

I heard hayabusa gloves are quite cheap in UK compared to other brands? If that's true, i recommend hayabusa tokushu gloves. Or even old hayabusa 16oz gloves if you can find with a reasonable price tag. I don't know the price in UK though.

Ive heard really mixed stuff about the punch town gloves, and the ring to cage ones look good but I have never heard of them. The fairtex look great though, so I might well go with them.

Im not sure I want to buy from the US, not after last time. Also, the site is now out of stock. I think im going to go with punch town BXR mk II gloves, they look more like traditional boxing gloves and without trying fairtex im not sure how good the wrist is. From pictures it just looks the same as twins, and although people say it is better with no way of testing how it feels for me im going to go for something that looks more like the gloves I have liked in the past.

The only issue now is the size. I wanted 16oz, for general training and sparring, but their hand size chart puts me in the 12-14oz size. What differences would I see between a 14 and a 16oz glove?

The Fairtex BGV5 isn't a Thai style glove, like Twins, so they're not really anything alike. The Fairtex BGV1 is like Twins in that it is a Thai style glove, so maybe that's what you're thinking of. Punchtown gloves have better wrist support imo.

The Fairtex BGV5 isn't a Thai style glove, like Twins, so they're not really anything alike. The Fairtex BGV1 is like Twins in that it is a Thai style glove, so maybe that's what you're thinking of. Punchtown gloves have better wrist support imo.

ah maybe I was. The punch town are cheaper and if you say they have better wrist support then thats good too. Some people say the stitching is bad, others good so thats my only worry, but I doubt I will find something better for the same price. There is a store in Birmingham that sells them, so I will see if they have any in stock tomorrow when I go to see my GF but I dont think they do. I have a feeling they only do the MMA style gloves.

Any thoughts on the sizing? Their website says there is a different in hand pocket size between the 12, 14 and 16oz gloves. Should I just go for the 16oz ones and pad them out with wraps, or go for the 14's?

I went to try the gloves and they didnt have them. They did have twins BGVF gloves though, and these were great. I think I might buy these. The wrist support, my biggest issue was much better. My only issue now is the small strap, the velcro might lose its stick quickly over such a small area. I think thats a small issue so These are the favorite for now. Just wondering if anyone knows how these compare to the punchtown Bxr MKII. Apparently they are slightly smaller, which would be great. The only problem is, I cant find a shop that sells the BGVF other than the one I went to, which has a crappy returns policy. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the BGVF, because there are no reviews. The felt good, and are twins, so I presume they are fine.

edit: these are the gloves and shop. http://www.fearless-fightwear.com/store/twins-special-twins-bgvf-gloves-black-p-1710.html

http://www.made4fighters.com/en/sto...hai-gloves/punchtown-fracture-bxr-mkii-black/

The Bxr are now on sale, so im tempted with them.

Last edited:
seems like your hands would be fine for the 16s

Twins is better quality than Punchtown overall. Poor velcro though is an often cited complaint. By the time that would become an issue no returns policy is going to cover it. Unless there was a serious defect, for most places once you've used the gloves and there are the visible signs of use that might appear after only a few rounds on a bag then you're going to have trouble returning them, unless like I said there's something really wrong with them that suddenly becomes apparent.

As for reviews, chances are good imo that they're going to only differ from the lace-ups in terms of the closure system used

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/twins-bgll-lace-up-training-gloves-review-1397821/
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/twins-special-14-oz-training-gloves-review-pics-2249585/

Last edited:
seems like your hands would be fine for the 16s

Twins is better quality than Punchtown overall. Poor velcro though is an often cited complaint. By the time that would become an issue no returns policy is going to cover it. Unless there was a serious defect, for most places once you've used the gloves and there are the visible signs of use that might appear after only a few rounds on a bag then you're not going to be able to return them.

As for reviews, chances are good imo that they're going to only differ from the lace-ups in terms of the closure system used

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/twins-bgll-lace-up-training-gloves-review-1397821/
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/twins-special-14-oz-training-gloves-review-pics-2249585/

they were described as similar to the laceups. I like the palm padding too.

Last edited:
Eread the reviews, and I think I will go for the twins. The shop is closed now till monday so I will go there again, give them another test wear and probably buy them. My last question is is it better to buy in store or online? I heard you get better returns policies online, but it seems like its going to be pretty crap even online, so I might as well buy in store.

Back