160kg (350lbs?) Deadlift Form check (pls don't laugh)

Looks good, except you lean back way too much on top (hyper-extending). Just straighten out by squeezing your hips to the bar and stand straight, no need to lean back.
To get lbs, just multiply kg x 2.2

Quote me to see how embedding works.

The first thing I noticed is that you setup with the bar pretty far from your shins. On the first rep you can see the bar swing toward you as soon as it breaks off the ground. With each rep it lands a bit closer to you and the next rep becomes more vertical. You should setup with the bar closer to your shins to begin with. A good guideline is to have it over the middle of your foot or roughly and inch from your shins and then adjust from there.

Overall your form looks pretty good. The other thing I notice is that your hips rise a bit before you break the bar off the ground. This indicates that you could be tighter before you pull and that you should probably setup with your hips a bit higher. Some people like to "pull the slack out of the bar" by applying a bit of force to the bar before they start each rep. I like to use the bar to pull myself into position i.e. bend at the waist to grab the bend then crouch down/lean my hips back while keeping tension on the bar. It helps me get and stay tight.

Think you might want to adjust you starting position so you don't move your hips upward before the bar comes off the ground. Adjust your hips into the correct position, then lift. Right now you lead with your hips, and that shifts your entire body out of position before the lift actually begins.
I.e, keep your hips higher in your starting position.
(The guy right behind you in the clip, in the grey shirt, kinda looks like he gets it).
Try imagine yourself pushing your feet downwards when lifting, instead of pulling the bar upwards. That helps for me.

Last edited:
As stated, your starting position is too far out. Bar to shins and have it skim your legs as you lift it straight up.

You have some inefficiencies, but no glaring issues to make you avoid adding weight. The weight seemed pretty light for you too.

Sound advice from DrBdan regarding keeping the bar close to the shins. I recommend wearing tube socks or long pants to avoid scraping the bar against the shins.

I dont like setting up with the bar directly on my shins, because then I cant bend down to reach it. I like to set the bar up directly over my toes so that when I bend forwards for it my shins then touch the bar. Your hips shoot up way before the rest of you causing your back to bend by the looks of it.

You have some inefficiencies, but no glaring issues to make you avoid adding weight. The weight seemed pretty light for you too.

This.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

Regardless of what people are saying, the bar is clearly very close to your shins. Although, you do start with it just slightly too far out.

Also, while your hips may rise before the bar breaks the ground, I don't see that as a problem. Just because you're not locked into place, doesn't mean you're not tight. As the slack gets removed from your arms, it's also getting removed from your posterior chain. Everything is staying tight, but you're also not stretching yourself out before you pull (which would be bad).

I'd like to see a video at a heavier weight to see how/where your form starts to break down.

Not that I'm an expert, but I'm one of the few here to have pulled over 600 lbs.

Back