Social 16 dead in Kentucky after flash floods, and the death toll is expected to rise

White Whale

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62351166

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/29/weather/kentucky-appalachia-flooding-friday/index.html

At least 16 people have died due to historic flash flooding caused by torrential rain in eastern Kentucky.

Kentucky govonor Andy Beshear expects the death toll rise and more than 23,000 people are without power.

The flash flood came after heavy rains earlier in the week. Hundreds of homes in Kentucky have been wiped out because of the floods, the govonor said.

Pretty sad situation with roads being wiped out and strong currents are making rescues difficult.

Back on topic.

RIP to the victims. It happens so fast people don't have time to get out or they make the mistake of thinking it won't be as bad as they are saying because it wasn't before.

This is a sad situation. It’s absolutely disgusting for anyone to make light of it.
I wasn't making light of it, I was pointing out that putting trailers on the side of a mountain is not a very smart idea(hence the downfall of living in the hollers). I've been in Eastern KY, and seen how they live, I've camped over there and seen what happens when it rains. Being shocked by this is like building on the coast and being shocked your house got taken out by a hurricane.

And it's Appalachia, had to be a cousin joke in there somewhere..

Besides, not sure why you're upset, you don't care about flyover states anyways.

Also, RIP to those who perished

When Mitch and Rand have their hands out for flood relief, democrats should bundle it with the vets bill that republicans stopped and then dare Rand and Mitch to vote no.

This is just the beginning. We'll be seeing biblical level disasters regularly by the end of the decade.

Friendly reminder that the current heating is due to emissions from about a decade ago, and that we've only put more CO2 into the atmosphere every year since.

Why is it the beginning?
Do you think this is the first time KY has had a flood?

"This is so deadly, and it hit so hard, and it hit in the middle of the night," the governor said, adding although eastern Kentucky often floods, "we've never seen something like this."

Extreme weather events have always occurred. With climate change, they will get more intense and more frequent. The types of storms that used to occur once a century will start happening every couple years.

"This is so deadly, and it hit so hard, and it hit in the middle of the night," the governor said, adding although eastern Kentucky often floods, "we've never seen something like this."

Extreme weather events have always occurred. With climate change, they will get more intense and more frequent. The types of storms that used to occur once a century will start happening every couple years.
You go ahead and live your life full of fear. I'll pass.

Two "thousand year" rain events in a matter of days. Nothing to see here. Thoughts and prayers.

Acknowledging reality doesn't mean I'm living my life full of fear.
I've seen your posts. Surprised you leave your house honestly...
Two "thousand year" rain events in a matter of days. Nothing to see here. Thoughts and prayers.
Source?
Or are you making that up as usual?
Do we have some native American weather records I'm unaware of?

I've seen your posts. Surprised you leave your house honestly...

Source?
Or are you making that up as usual?
Do we have some native American weather records I'm unaware of?

Perhaps you're projecting - me posting about what's coming for us doesn't mean I'm afraid. Maybe that's why you deny reality, because for you to acknowledge the situation is terrifying for you?

Perhaps you're projecting - me posting about what's coming for us doesn't mean I'm afraid. Maybe that's why you deny reality, because for you to acknowledge the situation is terrifying for you?
I'm not the one acting like chicken little here bud.

We've discussed this in other threads as well. I acknowledge the climate is changing. Have also said we probably have some part in accelerating it. But you have a problem admitting that it's completely natural for it change and the end result will be the same no matter what. I'm not scared 1 bit. I've lived my life learning how to provide game and survive off the land.

Back