150lbs vs 250lbs

IamMars

White Belt
Reaction score
Here are some videos of me rolling with my friend. I am 150lbs and have been training 1.5 years. He weighs 250lbs and has been training for about 6 months.

My friend video taping is acting as Joe Rogan.

Any critiques are welcomed.

[YT]K3FSGqV2wxg[/YT]
me winning by arm bar from high guard

[YT]MCPQkKPcZVM[/YT]
me defending a devastating Ezekiel choke

[YT]A0AU99NA2x0[/YT]
starting from rubber guard

[YT]nbL59VH_6gw[/YT]
getting tapped by RNC

[YT]gSWuhSi1hsE[/YT]
fighting to a draw

Honestly, I'm going to give you the best advice anyone will drop your way.

STOP rolling with new guys 100 pounds heavier than you - NOW.

I know he's your friend and right now its cool because you have more experience so you can tap him, but trust me this sort of thing is not safe and will bite you in the ass big time.

I used to roll with my best friend, I had about 18 months more training than him but he was 225 and I was 149. We would always roll hard and we weren't controlled because we were young dumb and I was a know it all blue belt,

One day he somersaulted over me when I had a locked in triangle. My ACL Tore, lateral meniscus tore to shreds, and I fractured my tibia.

I now know that the reason I got so badly hurt was because I was training with a new guy with 75 pounds on me. It was stupid and I was asking for an injury. I only wish someone had told me or better yet STOPPED me from rolling with him.

There are plenty of people around your size to roll with and plenty of supervised places to do it - be smart and save yourself the reconstructive surgery and 6 months off the mat.

In my perspective:

I only saw video #4 with RNC, but, I saw you missed some good opportunities for some hip bump sweeps, since he's so much bigger you just gotta be really quick about it. I also saw you were in good position to work in some deep half-guard, maybe get some homer simpsons in :).

Check out some Jeff Glover, I think that would be good for your game for sure.

We both train at different legit bjj schools.

I hardly ever experiment with deep half....probably why I never took the opportunities.

Also hip bumps seem impossible with his size, mentally I think it won't work (even thought it could).

The rg video kinda sucks because he just shakes me off. Yes you are supposed to put foot in hip.

And an injury would definitely not be worth it!!!

Thanks for sharing..your buddy doesn't look 250 tho. Unless he is pretty tall 6'4" plus. Do you train Gi at all or purely no Gi?

I train both gi and no gi. My friend pretty much sticks to nogi.

Back