150lb Log Press

cant argue with that, nice press

you could probably even knock out a few more pounds with a stronger push from your legs.

Nice man. What is the log going to weigh at your competition?

Yeah, I used good leg drive in the 140x4 set before that, but not very much with the 150x1 set. I need to be more consistent with that.

Barut: The contest weight will be 180lbs which is going to be very difficult for me, at least at this point in my training.

I'm impressed with pretty much everything I've seen from you. To be young again!

farmboy said:
I'm impressed with pretty much everything I've seen from you. To be young again!

Thanks. :)

Don't let age be a factor. JUST DO IT! :icon_twis

Yeah, I would agree with the other posters. I have push pressed 250 before and the best advice I could give you is get more leg drive into your lift. My max press is 210 x1 and my max push press is 250x2 so decent leg drive added 50 lbs to my press and im sure with better technique it probably could have added more. Good luck man

rickdog said:
Yeah, I would agree with the other posters. I have push pressed 250 before and the best advice I could give you is get more leg drive into your lift. My max press is 210 x1 and my max push press is 250x2 so decent leg drive added 50 lbs to my press and im sure with better technique it probably could have added more. Good luck man

Damn, dude. That's a big increase in strength. :eek:

I didn't realize that leg drive added a whole lot more strength. I thought that it was only 5lbs or 10lbs more than a strict press.

No way man, I have seen alot of people who only add a couple lbs and I have seen my share who add a ton. Look at the guys in the olumpics who do the jerk. ( I know it is a bit different) but they are adding over 100lbs to their lifts. Im not sure what the rules for your strongman show are but i would definatly add more pop to those push presses. Dynamic front squats might help in training for this?

rickdog said:
No way man, I have seen alot of people who only add a couple lbs and I have seen my share who add a ton. Look at the guys in the olumpics who do the jerk. ( I know it is a bit different) but they are adding over 100lbs to their lifts. Im not sure what the rules for your strongman show are but i would definatly add more pop to those push presses. Dynamic front squats might help in training for this?

It looks like we're allowed to use leg drive (i.e. push press.) I don't know if a jerk or jerk variations are allowed though.

The dynamic front squats sound cool. I was going to try log front squats. How does that sound?

Definatly sounds like a good variation but I would definatly perform the reps dynamicly just to get used to the quick push motion. Just dont lock your knees out hard at the top of the rep. When you are doing them keep the weight low enough to where you can get a snappy feeling near the top of the rep.

The strongman contests ive seen allow Push press but not jerks.. I was just using it as an example. What is the date of your show?

Jerks are actually quite common in strongman, at least for maxes. For reps, the push press is favored due to being faster.

Huh, the one I attended they did not allow jerks and they were even disqualifying some reps due to to much of a push. It was actually on the viking press though. Maybe they used different rules. Come to think of it the jerk would not be very effective in the viking press. However I think if you are doing timed reps, Push presses would be ideal. If it is for a single max I would go for the Push press.

Carnal, What do you think of dynamic front squats for helping in the push press. Does that make sense to you?

CarnalSalvation said:
Hey, a lift you didn't cheat on. Sweet.

You can't help being a dick, can you?

rickdog, the Strongest Man in PA contest is on October 1st.

Fuck, now I want a log thing. Thanks a lot.

Where's the best place to buy one?

Sean S said:
Fuck, now I want a log thing. Thanks a lot.

Where's the best place to buy one?

I bought mine (8" log) from BruteStrength.com and I really enjoy using it. Lance makes quality equipment, especially the log. I also bought a pair of farmer's walk implements from him and they're good too. The only problem is that he tends to take a while to send the orders.

they're using 180 in a strongman comp? isn't that, like, pussy?

Fight_Song said:
they're using 180 in a strongman comp? isn't that, like, pussy?

Isn't that, like, ignorant?

How is a 180lb log press "pussy" for a novice lightweight (under 175lbs) ? BTW, I'm ~155lbs.

Diligent: Yeah, the log is more difficult, mainly because the lifter uses a neutral (hammer curl) grip when working with it.

Back