1500 kcal diet or Keto + need advice on diet

Nameless King

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Which diet would you recommend and why. Which you see as more effective.

Some will say it depends on the goal but my goal atm is to lose weight as well as do weights but thats 20% of my gym routine, 80% is cardio.

I am moderatly active, have walking full time job + gym 5 days a week. My absolute nr 1 is to lose weight.

I picked 1500 kcal diet which I got for over a month now and with my food choices I dont walk hungry and dont feel weak, malnutritioned etc. My diet includes EVERYTHING. Veggies, fruit, sugar, fat, protein, vitamins you name it. Yes, I made it work for myself. I dont crave particular foods because I still have them in more calorie controlled style so I can have more of it for example instead of full sugar frostied chocolate cake I will have a chocolate mug cake made with oat flour with raisins which will have 1/2 a calories than exact same proper cake and still taste the same.

I have also read a lot of good stuff about Keto but I would rather have access to all foods and limit myself to calories than have calories and limited choice.

And my question: Although I limit myself in calories I still have sugar and fat regardless of course in lower amounts. Do you think it can have any impact on my weight loss?

High sugar diets could absolutely impact your weight loss. If you're constantly prodding your pancreas to secrete insulin throughout the day then things might slow down. Insulin is an anabolic hormone that's used to store and partition nutrients so naturally your body is going to want to hold onto whatever macros you put into it. In the absence of insulin you're more likely to mobilize fat stores for energy. High sugar+calorie deficit doesn't work for everyone since you're asking your body to do two very different things at the same time.

Honestly, you can still have your carbs but if you start stalling it's time to look at different strategies. Fasting(which I'm a fan of), lowering your carbs, or being selective when you have them are all things you can implement. Have you looked up targeted keto dieting? Essentially you isolate your carb intake right before and right after your workouts when you're most insulin sensitive. You get the benefit of using the carbs for your workout and then replenishing whatever you use right away without multiple insulin spikes throughout the day.

And if you're not doing any type of strength training then start as soon as you can.

High sugar diets could absolutely impact your weight loss. If you're constantly prodding your pancreas to secrete insulin throughout the day then things might slow down. Insulin is an anabolic hormone that's used to store and partition nutrients so naturally your body is going to want to hold onto whatever macros you put into it. In the absence of insulin you're more likely to mobilize fat stores for energy. High sugar+calorie deficit doesn't work for everyone since you're asking your body to do two very different things at the same time.

Honestly, you can still have your carbs but if you start stalling it's time to look at different strategies. Fasting(which I'm a fan of), lowering your carbs, or being selective when you have them are all things you can implement. Have you looked up targeted keto dieting? Essentially you isolate your carb intake right before and right after your workouts when you're most insulin sensitive. You get the benefit of using the carbs for your workout and then replenishing whatever you use right away without multiple insulin spikes throughout the day.

And if you're not doing any type of strength training then start as soon as you can.

Would you agree with what he saying? First few minutes

Also how you see the outlook of having 750 kcal meal before work and 750 kcal before workout? In this scenario I will be in 12 hours window and then 12 hours fasting

Or should I keep doing what Im doing until I hit plateau? Yes Im doing also weights

Also high sugar I say up to 20g a day no more than that which is below what people with diabetes are allowed to consume

Last edited:

Would you agree with what he saying? First few minutes

Also how you see the outlook of having 750 kcal meal before work and 750 kcal before workout? In this scenario I will be in 12 hours window and then 12 hours fasting

Or should I keep doing what Im doing until I hit plateau? Yes Im doing also weights

Also high sugar I say up to 20g a day no more than that which is below what people with diabetes are allowed to consume

Yeah a lot of what he's saying makes sense. If I were doing 12/12 with just two meals a day I would save my workout for the end of the day before my last meal. That's just me. At that point your body is going to be pretty insulin sensitive just from the exercise alone and those calories/nutrients may be more likely to be used in an appropriate manner. Maybe you're good doing fasted workouts before your first meal. Personally I can't do that. I also don't enjoy lifting right after eating a big meal either.

And 20g of sugar is pretty much nothing, especially if you're eating it in the form of fresh fruit. I thought you were maybe talking like 100g or more. If what you're doing now is giving you good results and you feel good, then keep going. One meal a day is tough......really tough. I did it and lost about 21 lbs in under a month so it can be effective if you're looking for quick weight loss. I think that's best if you're really struggling with portion control because it's super hard to overeat when you've compressed your eating window into a space that small. It sounds like you've got a handle on this and are really doing your homework.

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of what he's saying makes sense. If I were doing 12/12 with just two meals a day I would save my workout for the end of the day before my last meal. That's just me. At that point your body is going to be pretty insulin sensitive just from the exercise alone and those calories/nutrients may be more likely to be used in an appropriate manner. Maybe you're good doing fasted workouts before your first meal. Personally I can't do that. I also don't enjoy lifting right after eating a big meal either.

And 20g of sugar is pretty much nothing, especially if you're eating it in the form of fresh fruit. I thought you were maybe talking like 100g or more. If what you're doing now is giving you good results and you feel good, then keep going. One meal a day is tough......really tough. I did it and lost about 21 lbs I think that's best if you're really struggling with portion control because it's super hard to overeat when you've compressed your eating window into a space that small. It sounds like you've got a handle on this and are really doing your homework.

I also have low amount of fructose which dont affect insulin at all somehow. Everything below 1500 kcal.

I dont look up what to eat guidance because my lifestyle is busy and I dont have time cooking. All I do is to read labels.

Im a bit worried that during fasted gym I burn muscle rathern than fat, can you clarify this. I do weights and cardio. I usually have 200 kcal meal before workout just so I dont feel too peckish.

I also have low amount of fructose which dont affect insulin at all somehow. Everything below 1500 kcal.

I dont look up what to eat guidance because my lifestyle is busy and I dont have time cooking. All I do is to read labels.

Im a bit worried that during fasted gym I burn muscle rathern than fat, can you clarify this. I do weights and cardio. I usually have 200 kcal meal before workout just so I dont feel too peckish.

1500 calories? how much do you weigh and your height? I am 200lb 6ft 2inch and i lose weight on 2700 cal running 4 times a week. I lose about 2-3 lbs a week.

Which diet would you recommend and why. Which you see as more effective.

Some will say it depends on the goal but my goal atm is to lose weight as well as do weights but thats 20% of my gym routine, 80% is cardio.

I am moderatly active, have walking full time job + gym 5 days a week. My absolute nr 1 is to lose weight.

I picked 1500 kcal diet which I got for over a month now and with my food choices I dont walk hungry and dont feel weak, malnutritioned etc. My diet includes EVERYTHING. Veggies, fruit, sugar, fat, protein, vitamins you name it. Yes, I made it work for myself. I dont crave particular foods because I still have them in more calorie controlled style so I can have more of it for example instead of full sugar frostied chocolate cake I will have a chocolate mug cake made with oat flour with raisins which will have 1/2 a calories than exact same proper cake and still taste the same.

I have also read a lot of good stuff about Keto but I would rather have access to all foods and limit myself to calories than have calories and limited choice.

And my question: Although I limit myself in calories I still have sugar and fat regardless of course in lower amounts. Do you think it can have any impact on my weight loss?
If you walk for work and go to the gym 5 days a week then unless you are very small 1500 calories is way too low. You won't burn fat becuase your body will be in self preservation mode, and your training will suffer.
Obviously we need to know your height/weight/bodyshape for more specific advice but in general I would up the protein, fibre and good fats and lower the sugar. You can easily do low carb (50-100g a day say) without having to go to the extreme of keto (which works but it's a hassle imo). Eating a small amount of carbs and protein to fuel your workouts and recover after training is fine, just make your dinner protein and fat. IF can also really help: eating 2 meals and 1 or 2 healthy snacks or protein smoothies say in a 6-8hr window, with fasted cardio beforehand and/or resistance training within the eating window is a good example.

What's worked for me is something like this:

AM fasted cardio (30-60mins)
2pm porridge, 3 eggs + egg whites + veggie omelette.
4pm banana + berries + protein smoothie.
PM weight training.
6pm big portion meat/fish + veggies/salad
8pm Greek yoghurt with nuts/fibre/berries and a protein shake.

Also, you should do more resistance and/or weight training as well as the cardio to increase muscle density and size which will increase your metabolism and athleticism and make you look and feel better.

Just keep is simple and consistently eat fresh foods and 150g+ protein a day and you will see results without being hungry or feeling drained.

If you walk for work and go to the gym 5 days a week then unless you are very small 1500 calories is way too low. You won't burn fat becuase your body will be in self preservation mode, and your training will suffer.
Obviously we need to know your height/weight/bodyshape for more specific advice but in general I would up the protein, fibre and good fats and lower the sugar. You can easily do low carb (50-100g a day say) without having to go to the extreme of keto (which works but it's a hassle imo). Eating a small amount of carbs and protein to fuel your workouts and recover after training is fine, just make your dinner protein and fat. IF can also really help: eating 2 meals and 1 or 2 healthy snacks or protein smoothies say in a 6-8hr window, with fasted cardio beforehand and/or resistance training within the eating window is a good example.

What's worked for me is something like this:

AM fasted cardio (30-60mins)
2pm porridge, 3 eggs + egg whites + veggie omelette.
4pm banana + berries + protein smoothie.
PM weight training.
6pm big portion meat/fish + veggies/salad
8pm Greek yoghurt with nuts/fibre/berries and a protein shake.

Also, you should do more resistance and/or weight training as well as the cardio to increase muscle density and size which will increase your metabolism and athleticism and make you look and feel better.

Just keep is simple and consistently eat fresh foods and 150g+ protein a day and you will see results without being hungry or feeling drained.

I would give details but you know how people are here, shaming others.

Well atm my daily intake looks something like 180g carbs of which 25g sugar, 90g protein, 20g fat. I cant up proteins too much because it would be over calorie limit but I dont walk hungry. I do weights and cardio, spending 1.5h in gym a day. I feel good although bit tired but I guess its from sudden switch from not doing gym to sudden 5 days a week. Im getting some extra strong vitamins because I cant get all I need from the food I eat.

And what I eat:

Since Im night shift worker I usually wake up at 11pm have a protein focused ready meal like noodles with beef, veggies in soy sauce 380g with 315 kcal and kvarg (its like protein yogurt but no sugars and fat) 100 kcal, then protein bar in work 215 kcal. Protein shake before gym 1 scoop with no sugar almond milk 150 kcal. Back home, similar ready meal say 315-400 kcal, fructose sweetened drink* 500ml with 100 kcal and with 200-300 allowance left 2-3 hours before bed I have something light like either another protein bar or oat mug muffin if I got sweet tooth or 6 slices of pastrami with onion, tomato and lettuce salad sprinkled with 0 sugar sweet onion sauce for flavour 200 kcal.

1500 calories, enough protein to maintain muscle. It works for now, I am noting at least 1.1kg or 2 pounds weight loss a week so far. Diet plan is not definite I do tweaks here and there but this is what I got for now. Also as you can see there is next to none in preparation of that food which is currently priceless for me because having full time job and adding gym put hell lot of pressure on me and cooking is the last thing I think about going home. The fructose sweetend drink kills my thrist for sugar at no cost as its not interfeting with insuline (fruit fructose not corn syrup).

I shall keep this thread as diary. If I hit plateau or something unexpected happens I will update it.

Last edited:

Well atm my daily intake looks something like 180g carbs of which 25g sugar, 90g protein, 20g fat. I cant up proteins too much because it would be over calorie limit but I dont walk hungry. I do weights and cardio, spending 1.5h in gym a day. I feel good although bit tired but I guess its from sudden switch from not doing gym to sudden 5 days a week. Im getting some extra strong vitamins because I cant get all I need from the food I eat.

And what I eat:

Since Im night shift worker I usually wake up at 11pm have a protein focused ready meal like noodles with beef, veggies in soy sauce 380g with 315 kcal and kvarg (its like protein yogurt but no sugars and fat) 100 kcal, then protein bar in work 215 kcal. Protein shake before gym 1 scoop with no sugar almond milk 150 kcal. Back home, similar ready meal say 315-400 kcal, fructose sweetened drink* 500ml with 100 kcal and with 200-300 allowance left 2-3 hours before bed I have something light like either another protein bar or oat mug muffin if I got sweet tooth or 6 slices of pastrami with onion, tomato and lettuce salad sprinkled with 0 sugar sweet onion sauce for flavour 200 kcal.

1500 calories, enough protein to maintain muscle. It works for now, I am noting at least 1.1kg or 2 pounds weight loss a week so far. Diet plan is not definite I do tweaks here and there but this is what I got for now. Also as you can see there is next to none in preparation of that food which is currently priceless for me because having full time job and adding gym put hell lot of pressure on me and cooking is the last thing I think about going home. The fructose sweetend drink kills my thrist for sugar at no cost as its not interfeting with insuline (fruit fructose not corn syrup).

I shall keep this thread as diary. If I hit plateau or something unexpected happens I will update it.

Just curious, what's your height, weight & waist circumference? (pants size?). I agree with others that that seems like a very low calorie intake, especially being that active, so I was just wondering. I don't think anyone will shame you for it.

Last edited:

And what I eat:

If you genuinely don't feel hungry or drained and you are losing 1kg/week while training well then it may be that your calories intake is ok for now, but I would reiterate that 1500 calories is low in general, especially if you are training 1.5hrs 5x a week. Has your performance increased? Can you lift heavier than when you started?

Working nights is tough, if possible maybe try and add in a 2nd high protein 315-400kcal meal between the protein bar at work and training and have the protein shake post workout, or add some eggs or cheese to the pastrami salad before bed. If time for cooking is an issue just double your breakfast meal and split into 2 portions, or stick to simple stuff like tinned fish/eggs/liver/cooked meats etc that you can quickly prep. Unless you have a lot of fat to lose, I would be surprised if you are not losing some muscle too. At the least I would try and add some extra protein in to your diet but don't rely too much on processed protein like bars/shakes etc.

If you increase your calories a small amount at a time, say 200 extra a day (mostly of protein) for a week and see how you feel, you will probably find your recovery and training will improve. Either way good luck.

90g of protein is a pretty scant amount, especially if you're lifting. Protein appears to be less obesigenic than other macros since it's a pretty poor source of energy. I think what @Blake_UK makes sense about adding in more protein. Another 100-200 "calories" in just protein shouldn't knock you off your weightloss journey.....and it may make it even easier if you're maintaining muscle/metabolically active tissue in the process. I bet your workouts get better from the improved recovery.

Crack a tin of tuna or have some beef jerky.

Humans are lazy. And they always want shortcuts. But on the same time they need to make things complicated and advanced in other to not lose motivation. Be it training or nutrition.

But both are super simple. Eat less junk. Use your body more.

You need a 300 page book or 30 min video who tell you to use math to find your number of daily calories.. its not a set number to go by. You are not a robot or computer ffs.

Real men dont count calories anyway.

Cut out White Flour and refined Sugar and then write down everything you eat and the amount of calories and how much you burn in exercise. Eat less Calories than you burn and you'll drop weight.

Sunday weekly log. Lost 4 pounds since last Sunday. Its a bit too much so if that trend continues for next Sunday I will increase kcal intake to 1700 maybe even 1800 or keep calories but cut cardio and just do weights. Which one you think would be better?

Sunday weekly log. Lost 4 pounds since last Sunday. Its a bit too much so if that trend continues for next Sunday I will increase kcal intake to 1700 maybe even 1800 or keep calories but cut cardio and just do weights. Which one you think would be better?

Why neglect the most important muscle in your body? the heart, Cardio is still king along with restricted calories for loosing weight. It’s not rocket science. Loosing 4 lbs in a week unless you’re starving yourself is just water weight and will return. Give us an age at least something to gauge off of.

Why neglect the most important muscle in your body? the heart, Cardio is still king along with restricted calories for loosing weight. It’s not rocket science. Loosing 4 lbs in a week unless you’re starving yourself is just water weight and will return. Give us an age at least something to gauge off of.

35. I drink a lot, urine always light coloured not dark but like I said 1500 kcal. I dont starve myself, I eat about 3-4 pounds of food a day + water.

4lbs a week is fine. The wider health benefits of cardio are too important to drop it, far better just to add a few hundred calories of protein to your diet and keep training hard.

4lbs a week is fine. The wider health benefits of cardio are too important to drop it, far better just to add a few hundred calories of protein to your diet and keep training hard.

Well I will see what weight will show next Sunday and will go from there, I always weigh myself on Sunday morning, not bothering few times a week.

Well I will see what weight will show next Sunday and will go from there, I always weigh myself on Sunday morning, not bothering few times a week.

Where did you end up? 1500 calories is low I was eating 2000 calories a day for a while recently and still dropping weight quite quickly by keeping activity up (cycling, walking, badminton, lifting weights)

Back