15 Taekwondo Blackbelts In MMA

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Video by me.

Most of the MMA fighters featured use a hybrid combination of Taekwondo and Muay Thai, nevertheless Taekwondo training has certain benefits for MMA fighters if incorporated into their training such as;

1) Bouncing as opposed to trying to glide around the ring. This has been used by certain fighters such as Anderson Silva when he decimated Chris Leben.
2) Working on stretching for high kicks.
3) Working on spinning attacks, spinning back kick/spinning hook kick.

Mcdojo nonsense

Boxing and wrestling are only arts needed

Video by me.

Most of the MMA fighters featured use a hybrid combination of Taekwondo and Muay Thai, nevertheless Taekwondo training has certain benefits for MMA fighters if incorporated into their training such as;

1) Bouncing as opposed to trying to glide around the ring. This has been used by certain fighters such as Anderson Silva when he decimated Chris Leben.
2) Working on stretching for high kicks.
3) Working on spinning attacks, spinning back kick/spinning hook kick.

LOL
There are probably 15 TKD black belts at wherever each of us works.

Mcdojo nonsense

That is rarely true. Someone knowing only boxing and wrestling will have no answer for leg kicks and will get submitted on the ground quickly. Muay Thai plus BJJ is a far better base. And TKD is the perfect complement to Muay Thai because it enables Muay Thai practitioners to fight much better at a distance. TKD is also an excellent base as it facilitates learning Muay Thai quickly.

Mcdojo nonsense

I am guessing you are joking. If you aren't you need your eyes checked. Those two are fundamental granted; but it makes more sense to be a hybrid of all styles than to use only one technique. If you only box, you can lose to leg kicks, if you only wrestle to get on top, you can get reversed and end up on the bottom.

Last edited:
LOL
There are probably 15 TKD black belts at wherever each of us works.
This is a good point. These days it means they've been doing TKD for a year and still can't kick. But the same is true of BJJ. Lot of people have done BJJ for a year but are useless and would get KOed instantly in the ring or in a real altercation.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any Taekwondo Olympians transition into MMA.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any Taekwondo Olympians transition into MMA.

Particularly the women (as they don't have to face much high level wrestling).
Someone like Jade Jones (double Olympic gold) or Bianca Walkden (Olympic bronze and 3x World gold) are known in the UK but I'm sure they'd make much more money if they were successful in MMA than they make from taekwondo and personal appearances and sponsorship.

Particularly the women (as they don't have to face much high level wrestling).
Someone like Jade Jones (double Olympic gold) or Bianca Walkden (Olympic bronze and 3x World gold) are known in the UK but I'm sure they'd make much more money if they were successful in MMA than they make from taekwondo and personal appearances and sponsorship.

From what I hear this guy was pretty high up but he transitioned for the reasons you mentioned i.e shit pay.

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Young-Ki-Hong-182533

Makes more sense for the women, I think for the men it would take too long, a rougher transition than a pro boxer.

And worse, there are 15 TKD black belts in my 8 year old son’s classroom and we are not even in Korea.
Yeah, that is just sad. It is primarily a childcare service now. I got my BB in the 80s and was on the National Team. Now I disassociate myself from the whole enterprise. If I was a teenager there is not a chance in hell I would do TKD. In the 80s it was the one MA that wasn't a joke.

Im sure there are a lot of TKD blackbelts in MMA, but they all got their black belts when they were little kids ...

Back