15 rounds today?

M o A

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which fighters in your opinion would have been more successful if 15 rounds were still the norm? And also, which fighters wouldnt fair as good?

Jermaine Tailor - no matter how hard this guy trains, he tends to find it difficult and gasses comes 10 rounds +, hence his loss to froch.

Add ur own....and reasons.

King Arthur gets stronger, he's a late starter.
Berto gasses in the mid rounds, he wouldn't last.

I don't know man, I think it is kind of irrelevant. Sure there are those with serious stamina issues(your Taylor example was on point) but if the fighters of today were training for 15 round fights they would learn to pace themselves accordingly.

I've been hearing this a lot lately "had it been a 15 round fight so and so would have lost", well guess what? it's not. Boxing has adapted to the change and anybody that comes out and rallies in the 10th thru 12th should have a better understanding of their own capabilities and capitalized on the situation earlier.

but yeah, Taylor would be fucked and Zab Judah would have had a terrible run imo.

Which fighters in your opinion would have been more successful if 15 rounds were still the norm? And also, which fighters wouldnt fair as good?

Jermaine Tailor - no matter how hard this guy trains, he tends to find it difficult and gasses comes 10 rounds +, hence his loss to froch.

Add ur own....and reasons.

Good topic

Arthur Abrahm always seems to slowly build momentum until he is steaming in the late rounds

Bhop would benefit from extra rounds. He is usually a little slow off the starting line, but his old school tactics and clinches wear on the opponent. I think an extra 3 would have made the difference in changing the outcome of his bout with Cal and Jermain

Alfredo Angulo would benefit from more time in the ring. He lost to Cintron, but he had found his rhythm and was rocking a retreating Cintron in the closing rounds of that fight. 3 more would have changed the outcome...

Manny never seems to be tired. 3 more rounds would probably serve him well.

There are a lot of fighters that fall off.
Wlad Klitchko lost to Ross Purrity because he ran out of gas. He's better now, but 3 more rounds would likely be rough on him.

I don't know man, I think it is kind of irrelevant. Sure there are those with serious stamina issues(your Taylor example was on point) but if the fighters of today were training for 15 round fights they would learn to pace themselves accordingly.

I've been hearing this a lot lately "had it been a 15 round fight so and so would have lost", well guess what? it's not. Boxing has adapted to the change and anybody that comes out and rallies in the 10th thru 12th should have a better understanding of their own capabilities and capitalized on the situation earlier.

but yeah, Taylor would be fucked and Zab Judah would have had a terrible run imo.

Nope, i think youre completely incorrect, its not just something you learn in training.

Some individuals are just naturally late starters (Arthur), a heart of a man can get him through some serious tribulations to still fight to a decision and win, some can maintain their power and balance throughout, some lose their kools and focus (Tyson) and certain fighters figure their opponents in mid to late rounds (Calzaghe against B Hop) where in a 15 round fight can completely change the whole course of things.

Good topicThere are a lot of fighters that fall off.
Wlad Klitchko lost to Ross Purrity because he ran out of gas. He's better now, but 3 more rounds would likely be rough on him.

Thanks for the input, but yea, goes without saying - the heavyweights would be most affected.

This has changed the way people fight.

For instance, Ty Cobb was probably the greatest base hitter of all time. He could hit home runs, but the damn fence was so far away that it was always a better decision to go for the hit.
Then Babe came and started swinging for the fences... and most ballparks got shorter when owners saw how fans responded to the home run.
So that changed the way people play. Consequently... no more .400+ hitters.

Well boxing has changed too.. used to be important to use the first round to scout your opponent... the following rounds to sap your opponent with body shots.. the late rounds to drown opponent.. stamina played a much greater role. The hard working average joe could compete with the athletic phenom a lot better then than now... see Basilio vs. Robinson.

Now the game has been shortened to shift the balance towards the natural athletes and away from the hard workers..

and I think that's a shame because part of boxings global appeal is the ideal that the underdog can pull it off vs. the athletically superior opponent... that hard work can trump all.. that your parents weren't bullshitting you when they told you that "you can be whatever you want if you are willing to work for it."

This has changed the way people fight.Now the game has been shortened to shift the balance towards the natural athletes and away from the hard workers..

and I think that's a shame because part of boxings global appeal is the ideal that the underdog can pull it off vs. the athletically superior opponent... that hard work can trump all.. that your parents weren't bullshitting you when they told you that "you can be whatever you want if you are willing to work for it."

Nooooo, war underdog for life.

Nope, i think youre completely incorrect, its not just something you learn in training.

Some individuals are just naturally late starters (Arthur), a heart of a man can get him through some serious tribulations to still fight to a decision and win, some can maintain their power and balance throughout, some lose their kools and focus (Tyson) and certain fighters figure their opponents in mid to late rounds (Calzaghe against B Hop) where in a 15 round fight can completely change the whole course of things.

The game has changed, the pace has changed and the bottom line is that you train for the fight at hand. I can understand your argument for cerebral fighters(Abraham, Marquez) the fact is you have to adapt faster in this day and age.Everyone scheduled to fight 12 rounds have to accept that fact, and yes, 15 rounds may favor some fighters but for those "late starters" they have to accept the fact that it's a 12 round fight. You are forced not to over exert yourself as well as figure out your opponent faster now.If you can't do those things thats your problem.

that "if it was 15 rounds" excuse is bullshit.You train for the fight at hand, end of story.

The game has changed, the pace has changed and the bottom line is that you train for the fight at hand. I can understand your argument for cerebral fighters(Abraham, Marquez) the fact is you have to adapt faster in this day and age.Everyone scheduled to fight 12 rounds have to accept that fact, and yes, 15 rounds may favor some fighters but for those "late starters" they have to accept the fact that it's a 12 round fight. You are forced not to over exert yourself as well as figure out your opponent faster now.If you can't do those things thats your problem.

that "if it was 15 rounds" excuse is bullshit.You train for the fight at hand, end of story.

So long as it is possible to one day extend title bouts to 15 rounds again, the excuse is not bullshit.

So long as it is possible to one day extend title bouts to 15 rounds again, the excuse is not bullshit.

lol,ok. Should that day ever come then yes. Can you deny that many camps would change their training regime should such a thing occur?

lol,ok. Should that day ever come then yes. Can you deny that many camps would change their training regime should such a thing occur?

I don't deny that.. but can you deny that some fighters don't have the mental toughness to combat fatigue in the championship rounds? Guy's like Mike Tyson, Jermain Taylor, and Oscar De La Hoya tended to decline towards the finish.. and they all trained as hard as anyone.. it just wasn't in them to combat their own fatigue under fight night conditions.

Thomas Hearns would have won his first bout vs. Leonard had it been in under todays rules. His physical advantages would have gave him enough of an edge to get the victory.. the fact that Leonard trained harder and had more steam in the 14th round would have never come to light.

I say all this just to point out that we are missing an important aspect of the sweet science, and I hope we get it back some day Going back to 15 rounders would change the sport for the better imo.

I like 12 rds over 15. I don't think I would want to see it changed back. I can see the point about it hurting hard workers that like to go to the body to wear down their opponents. The Learnod/hearns ref can work in the Chavez/taylor fight too, if it had been a 15 rd fight then we wouldn't have had a controversy cause Chavez would have gotting to taylor in the next rd. IMO

I like 12 rds over 15. I don't think I would want to see it changed back. I can see the point about it hurting hard workers that like to go to the body to wear down their opponents. The Learnod/hearns ref can work in the Chavez/taylor fight too, if it had been a 15 rd fight then we wouldn't have had a controversy cause Chavez would have gotting to taylor in the next rd. IMO

Why do you like 12 rounds more?

Why do you like 12 rounds more?

I think it allows the fighters to work at a even pace. With a 15 rd fight some fighters would stall the out the fight till the late rds ( 10-15) before they put their best work. In a shorter fight it pushes the pace just enough to keep the fight at a better pace IMO. An veteran still has time to adjust and a younger fighter still have his adv. of youth. Also a 15 rd fight doesn't allow for a draw to often and I feel some fights need to be a draw.

I don't have a big problem with 15rds fight I just think that 12 rds are better in general. For fans and fighters.

Pretty much any pressure fighter or serious body puncher that wants to wear their guy down. Margarito for example.

I would like to know how it's possible for 15 rounds to come back. I would love to see it personally but I personally haven't heard even the slightest rumbling that it's a realistic option anymore.
15 round fights obviously put more emphasis on stamina and pacing and guys who box on the outside and depend on footwork/speed would be affected most in a negative way. Hard to keep that up for 10-12 rounds let alone 15 which would lend it self well to the inside fighter who goes to the body.

Back