14. It is disrespectful to ask an instructor or a higher rank to train with you, so w

My instructor is really chill. He doesn't really follow this rule. After class, he'll go up to mainly white belts and ask them to roll. He's a really good teacher.

that is an old school rule of respect that goes to brazil.

there has to be some kind of standard. most traditional schools that have instructors from brazil will follow this rule.

Haha, both of my instructors are from Brazil and they're happy to tap my ass out all the time :icon_chee

I personally think this is bullshit. So basically a new member cant approach a guy and ask to roll? wtf is that what kind of environment is this?

[Edited by Zankou]

It helped alleviate the problem of challengers coming to the gym/dojo to train for a day and making fools out of the instructors, much the same way Catch Wrestlers/Hookers/Shooters have done in the past with Judoka.

The best way to get good at any such discipline is to learn from the best practitioners you have access to.

However, in addition to what I said above ^^^ the rule in question allows the school/gym/dojo to control the speed of your development. They make more money that way. If you start out practicing with higher belt levels, you will soon be at a level in skill that surpasses the belt you've been awarded, and that creates conflict and political problems. Most traditionally structured martial arts classes are NOT geared toward individuals any more than military boot camp is.

You want to see a big stink? Walk into your martial arts class, whatever it may be, and if it's belt oriented, tell them you're not gonna bother with that aspect anymore but you still want to learn all you can.

Luckily, there's things like MT and catch/sub wrestling that favor that sort of atmosphere.

Back