14. It is disrespectful to ask an instructor or a higher rank to train with you, so w

J

JamesBJJ.**

I personally think this is bullshit. So basically a new member cant approach a guy and ask to roll? wtf is that what kind of environment is this?

[Edited by Zankou]

You can't do that? I did it all the time when I was a white belt to purple+

I don't know about that one bro, I seriously can't see what so wrong with respectfully asking to spar with a higher belt, he and I know my inferior skill, and knows that I'm just looking to train.

my school doesn't have this rule- I've even rolled with my black belt instructors...

The schools that I trained at, you just ask whomever is in the around at the time. If you want to roll and there is another dude that wants to roll, ask him to, doesnt matter what belt rank, unless its an instructor who's watching students and correcting mistakes, etc. Usually to start rolling, the instructors pair you off but after the initial roll its everyone for themselves after that.

The schools that I trained at, you just ask whomever is in the around at the time. If you want to roll and there is another dude that wants to roll, ask him to, doesnt matter what belt rank, unless its an instructor who's watching students and correcting mistakes, etc. Usually to start rolling, the instructors pair you off but after the initial roll its everyone for themselves after that.

This is the way we do it at my school. The instructors/higher belts tend to gravitate towards each other, but they don't turn anyone down.

if your asking a higher belt rank to show you something thats one thing, acting like you are able to hang with them on the matts is disrespectul

i have always looked at this as an unwritten rule. let's be real. everyone is training ot get better. at some point there is a seriusly deminishing return on training with a someone who is far behind you. if you are a white belt or a new blue, why would a black belt train with you? as a white belt you could learn a ton from a blue or purple, so you are being selfish asking a black to do what someone else in the room can do. this is taking away from the black's training time, because he could be training with the better guys and improving his game too.

In my gym its the opposite way. The more experienced guys are always challenging us to help us improve. And I do learn rolling w/ a blackbelt. After he taps me 1000000 times in 5 minutes, he tells me what i did wrong and what i can do to improve it.

I think that sort of is a B.S. rule, then again I don't go to a tradionally academy really.

It is disrespectful because while it may be a great experience for you it isn't the same experience for him.

While many guys are happy to roll with lower belts it shows respect that since he has put in his time that he should get a chance to have some fun too.

Most higher belts really do spend alot of time helping the lowbies out, so cut these guys some slack and don't put them in an akward position of having to roll with you whenever you ask.

I didn't know this was a rule anywhere.I've rolled with our black belt numerous times. And a brown and a purple. ??? They just always tell me what I can improve on and what I did good.

That rule seems pretty archaic, i must say. kind of TMA McDojo-ish.

I normally don't ask higher belts to roll, not because I think it's disrespectful but they might not want to waste time with me. I have been asked to roll by purples and blues after class is over and most people are leaving.

BTW... i have never heard of this as a rule and it shouldn't be one. i just think it is good ettiquette to ask the best fit to help you so you can all get better.

I've been told this is a Brazilian thing.

Its more asking an upper belt whos sitting on the side, etc. to roll. Its a challenge. PLain and simple. And in Brazilian world that don't fly.

The way it works in my school is that, if an upper belt is sitting on the mat, you can ask them to roll (like during sparing), but we always consede the roll to an upper belt. Like if you and a purple want to roll with the black belt, the purple has the honor.

You're all right though, this is an old rule. Still holds true in more traditional martial arts though. You don't ask a master to "spar" like stand-up

At my Judo club when Coach says pick a partner for randori its almost comical to see the whole team try to go with him first. Its not a "I think I can beat you" thing its more a "I want to train with the best...and get my ass kicked".

Coach encourages that. We usually do enough rounds of randori to where everyone gets a turn with each other.

Besides I'd much rather randori my coach while I'm fresh that way I don't get killed by him that bad.

Since you are talking shit about my school I will respond...

First and foremost....Joey asks me to roll ALL the time...as do all the purple belts. So this isnt an "ego thing" and at first I didnt understand why this was a rule but think about it!

Why would a purple belt want to roll with a brand new student who is going to do nothing but use strength and try to get Americana's from inside the guard if he could roll with a blue or fellow purple belt who is going to give him some serious competition and help improve his game? The higher belt gets NOTHING out of that roll!! Whereas the white belt could just as easily roll with a lower belt and get the same experience. THEN once the higher belt sees that the lower belt has a decent base he can ask him to roll....and THEY DO!!

So although this is a rule...its just in place so that higher belts can train to improve their OWN game rather than having to babysit the noobs!

All that being said....enjoy your ban for fighter bashing!! BYE BYE James!!

Since you are talking shit about my school I will respond...

All that being said....enjoy your ban for fighter bashing!! BYE BYE James!!

joe's not a fighter (that much is pretty clear). we are allowed to bash bjj players. someone bashed eddie bravo every day.

joe's not a fighter (that much is pretty clear). we are allowed to bash bjj players. someone bashed eddie bravo every day.

4-0 Pro MMA isnt a fighter? Hmmm news to me! And I love the shit talking from behind a keyboard...Id PAY good money to see you roll with Joey! hahahaaaaa

The kid freezes up ONCE and deserves to get bashed? At least he was good enough to get there....you wouldnt get a 2nd look!

Back