130 Vs. 195, Knee on face escape?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JoshJuba, Sep 23, 2010.

1. JoshJuba

JoshJuba White Belt

I weigh 130 pounds, and I am constantly rolling with a guy weighing 190. He's a cop, so some how or another I end up in the awkward "knee on face" position, much like what they are trained to do.
    [​IMG]

^^like this, except with a gi.

Now...I have a decent ammount of time to ponder what to do next, because it takes me a good few seconds to escape from this annoying position. Is there something I can do to "make pain" for him in the -knee on face- position. Its pissing me off that I'm trapped in this position intill I kill my face trying to get out of it, I look like I drag my head across carpet. Is there a submission, or a good escape from it? or is it one of those "just dont get in it" things?

2. 256

256 Purple Belt

Does he have your arm back like a kimuora?

from the photo you posted i would say get to your knees and try to roll?

You should try to prevent getting into that position instead of trying to fight out. With 60 lbs on you, he most likley has strength as well as mass to get you into that position.

It is better to avoid the arm bar than try to escape once it is locked in.

3. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

Yea, its hard to tell what exactly the position is from the picture, but id say if he has moved the knee up to your face your arms most likely aren't in tight, because you should be able to defend your face, push off the knee and hipscape to your knees, get inside on him and either take his back or reverse the position, putting him on his back. I can't envision him pressing his knee into your face as being a very stable position.

Edit: wait.... are you on your stomach with your face in the mat with your arm behind your back? if thats the case... he should never be able to get you into that position... and your doing something wrong prior to getting there lol

4. JoshJuba

JoshJuba White Belt

YouTube - Robert Follis teaching a nasty armbar setup!
    Its more like this video, except he doesnt go for the arm bar right off the bat, I guess he wats for me to mess up and stick my hand up there, like the video. I can get out of arm bars like nobodys business, its a risky thing to do, but fighting out of it hurts less than his knee in my face. I'm usualy grabbing behind his ankle and bucking up and out, but its killing my face.

5. JoshJuba

JoshJuba White Belt

lol. I want to figure out a submission,or reversal that will scar him from doing it anymore. I was looking for ideas.

6. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

broke link

7. JoshJuba

JoshJuba White Belt

8. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

I'd be really surprised if there was a high percentage submission or reversal from that position. I'd settle for escaping, or preferably prevent him from getting the position.

*Waits for somebody to post a super ninja sub from bottom knee-on-face position*

9. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

Link is still broken, but after a quick google search I was able to find it. Yea, that's a pretty darn slick technique...at best I think you'll find an escape or defense... I don't think your going to find a sub from that position... but hey, I'd love to be proved wrong on this!

10. kimble09

kimble09 Green Belt

i think the knee on the face is a tad harsh while training...especially if there's a 50-60lb weight difference. is this guy a prick? or a good dude?? if he's cool, and he's a higher level than you, why don't you ask him? i'm always asking higher skilled partners how they got me in this, or what am i doing wrong, or not doing to get myself in that position...

but seriously, knee on the face seems a bit overkill in this scenario...tournament, yeah...get after it, but training??

11. GFG

GFG Green Belt

damb that's harsh hopefully he's not grinding his weight into your face

Mike - Gorilla Fight Gear

12. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

Ha I wouldnt roll with someone who did knee on face to me all the time. There is more likely to be a good way of stopping him in transition to the position than an escape from there. But I'm sure someone can teach you an escape, I dont see a sub happening from there.

13. netbjjer420

netbjjer420 Green Belt

A lot of the standard knee on belly escapes should still apply to that scenario, but I think the main point is if he's getting to that position it means he's passing your guard a lot, so work on your guard.

14. JoshJuba

JoshJuba White Belt

Well...%95 of cops are pricks. lol. But no he's not one.....that I know of. Oh yeah. There's a lot of weight behind it. I do need to work on my guard. Its pretty solid with people my size, but with the bigger guy its baby strength. He's not a higher level than me, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how to get out of it. I eventually do, but the costs...ohhh the costs. lol.

15. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

I'd say find better training partners.

16. rellik_yzarc

rellik_yzarc Orange Belt

thats a mean move to do in training.

but if he does bait you with the knee on stomach, i think just let him get the knee on stomach because its easier to escape.

however if he already has his knee on the face, i'd rather tap than risk injury trying to escape that position.

that being said, work more on your side mount escapes.

17. Chalito

Chalito Purple Belt

I've had a training partner who is about 200lbs do that to me, it's absolutely terrible. He actually landed on my ear and made the top half all black and blue (but it never turned into cauliflower ear...). Lets just say I watch out for that escape from now on.

18. lowdown1

lowdown1 Orange Belt

not to be a jerk but you have made a number of mistakes to allow him to use knee on throat/face so If I were you I would fix those so to not let him get to that position.

19. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

The monkey grabs the peach.... It is the ultimate selfdefense move! After that he won't kneel on your head anymore. I kid. I would push on his knee (similar to defense for knee on belly). Make sure you don't give up your arm and try to roll for a single and watch out for the choke. This is just a guess. I'm one of the lucky few who has never had anyone kneel on my face while rolling in class. Or... you could just punch him in the junk. JK.

20. nefti

nefti Red Belt

knee on head was my favorite move in self defence/street situations... i would never do that in training though...