13 Assassins

I absolutely despised the villain more than any villain I can remember despising in the past few years. That was phenomenal. Fell apart a bit towards the end.

I agree with both points, the end felt a bit sloppy and could have flowed better. Also god I fucking hated the villain, it was fitting that he died like a bitch and didn't accept his fate, I wish he suffered a bit more though

Great film by one of my favourite directors. It's amazing how far Miike has come as a director from low budget gore fests to professional big budget movies. I recently saw his remake of Harakiri in 3D which was pretty good but I think I still prefer his old low budget violent yakuza flicks with some of the weirdest scene I have ever seen in movies.

My recommendations if you want to be schooled in the world of Miike:

Ichi the Killer - the movie that put him on the map as a cult director. Based on a popular manga and was banned in many countries for its crazy level of violence.

Audition - You think you're watching some crappy romance movie but then Miike surprises sexes you with some violent horror.

Gozu - Another of Miike's violent yakuza films, weird and violent. All I have to say is three words: Reverse Birth Scene.

Dead or Alive - Probably my favourite Miike movie. The first and probably strongest of his Dead or Alive trilogy. Great Yakuza cat and mouse with the best use of deus ex machina in a movie ever.

Visitor Q - A big WTF drama. One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen.

The Bird People of China - One of his first forays into proper serious Drama. A beautiful drama about what it means to be a modern man.

Sukiyaki Western Django - Made a few years ago it was his first film to release overseas. A mix of shakespear, samurai and western. All the japanese actors speak in Engrish making the dialogue hilariously hard to understand. Also has a cameo from Tarantino himself.

I could go on forever but i'll leave it at that. He also recently did a film adaption of the Ace Attorney DS games which apparently is amazing.

It wouldn't be a Miike film without a bit of out of place CGI. The Buff guy is Ichi The Killer, giant robo penis in Dead or Alive: Final and my personal favourite from the first of the Dead or Alive trilogy (ending spoilers):

wow WTF was that??? haha.

Great movie. The last battle was without a doubt the most epic one I have ever seen.

One of my favorite Miike films and the final fight scene is fantastic. I usually like villains, but as Madmick said...its very easy to hate the man.

Its on Neflix Instant Queue for those wanting to see it.

It wouldn't be a Miike film without a bit of out of place CGI. The Buff guy is Ichi The Killer, giant robo penis in Dead or Alive: Final and my personal favourite from the first of the Dead or Alive trilogy (ending spoilers):

I love Miike films, the thing I love is how wacky and over the top his films can be but if you watch it enough (like I did with Ichi the killer) you can see some strong symbolism and deep meaning to all the madness. I remember there was a really good meaning towards this ending but it's been forever since I've seen the movie I forgot what it was...

Great film by one of my favourite directors. It's amazing how far Miike has come as a director from low budget gore fests to professional big budget movies. I recently saw his remake of Harakiri in 3D which was pretty good but I think I still prefer his old low budget violent yakuza flicks with some of the weirdest scene I have ever seen in movies.

My recommendations if you want to be schooled in the world of Miike:

Ichi the Killer - the movie that put him on the map as a cult director. Based on a popular manga and was banned in many countries for its crazy level of violence.

Audition - You think you're watching some crappy romance movie but then Miike surprises sexes you with some violent horror.

Gozu - Another of Miike's violent yakuza films, weird and violent. All I have to say is three words: Reverse Birth Scene.

Dead or Alive - Probably my favourite Miike movie. The first and probably strongest of his Dead or Alive trilogy. Great Yakuza cat and mouse with the best use of deus ex machina in a movie ever.

Visitor Q - A big WTF drama. One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen.

The Bird People of China - One of his first forays into proper serious Drama. A beautiful drama about what it means to be a modern man.

Sukiyaki Western Django - Made a few years ago it was his first film to release overseas. A mix of shakespear, samurai and western. All the japanese actors speak in Engrish making the dialogue hilariously hard to understand. Also has a cameo from Tarantino himself.

I could go on forever but i'll leave it at that. He also recently did a film adaption of the Ace Attorney DS games which apparently is amazing.

Pretty good list, I wouldn't recommend Visitor Q until you've seen enough Miike films to know what he is all about. I would like to add though Crows Zero, and Imprint.

13 Assassins was good. Not a Mike film but War of the Arrows was excellent too.

miike's latest movie hara-kiri: death of a samurai is on netflix instant watch. it isn't very violent but is a great film about honor. the last scene of course is bad ass.:cool:

Shitgoddamn I'm 40mins in and it's badass!!

This guy does NOT fuck around with characters it seems. Maybe it's the serious nature of it, but you just feel as though the characters have... how shall I say, power maybe? They say a lot without saying much, whether it's a serious statement, or a joke.

Gonna start it back up again, but I just wanted to say that I'm really, really impressed. Again, thanks Mayberry. Maybe when it's done, I'll be able to be more eloquent .

Damn son, total fuckin war

Movie was badass. Solid way to spend 2 hours.

edit: and the mountain spirit guy was great

was not overly keen on watching it, i thought a 45 minute sword fight? how is that not going to get boring?

was impressed though, good film.

Back