12oz Boxing Gloves vs 16oz'rs

Im training in thailand and everybody is just sparring with 12 oz gloves. Having gotten hit my all kinds of gloves i feel like the 12 oz top kings have good enough padding for muay thai sparring. Its not like boxing where you can sit down on each of your punch and land it with more power.

Guys in our gym who like to pose and look good spar in lighter gloves. There really is no reason for using them except maybe when it gets closer to fight time but then you should be going light to avoid injury.

Guys in our gym who like to pose and look good spar in lighter gloves. There really is no reason for using them except maybe when it gets closer to fight time but then you should be going light to avoid injury.

+1
And they go really hard with them.

I disagree. Lighter gloves is good from time to time. It allows a change of pace to the training and mixes things up. Obviously while you're not going 100% though lol.

I prefer training with 12's myself, and so do most of the guys I train with. Helps with training parries and counters imho, the 16s are cumbersome for that, and we've never had control issues at my gym. To each his own I guess.

I prefer training with 12's myself, and so do most of the guys I train with. Helps with training parries and counters imho, the 16s are cumbersome for that, and we've never had control issues at my gym. To each his own I guess.

same here, more realistic

same here, more realistic

Apparently we're assholes though. Every time this comes up I see post after post after post from people who say how much of a dick move it is, how bad people get hurt at their gyms, how it escalates their sparring to fighting...so on and so forth. Seems odd to me that so many people are that adamant about it, but what do I know.

if your instructor doesn't say anything, I say go as low as your opponents are going. just be prepared for harder shots, I suppose.

I get pissed when people jump in and spar with 12 ounce gloves. If its for messing around with your friends in the backyard go for it, no big deal.

I used to get irritated at my old gym when I was wearing 16s and everyone else was wearing 14s (or lower).

at my new gym, I'm the one wearing 14oz Top King pillows while I'm sparring guys wearing as low as 8oz lace ups. I guess it's all relative haha. gonna buy a set of 10s and shitty cloth shinguards to return the favor someday.

seems like it's not a big a deal in Muay Thai as in boxing.

if your instructor doesn't say anything, I say go as low as your opponents are going. just be prepared for harder shots, I suppose.

I used to get irritated at my old gym when I was wearing 16s and everyone else was wearing 14s (or lower).

at my new gym, I'm the one wearing 14oz Top King pillows while I'm sparring guys wearing as low as 8oz lace ups. I guess it's all relative haha. gonna buy a set of 10s and shitty cloth shinguards to return the favor someday.

seems like it's not a big a deal in Muay Thai as in boxing.

Just from my own experience of going from boxing to MT maybe they just don't get hit as often and as hard with punches?

I remember some new guy came in and he was a boxer and people were complaining because he was going far too heavy with punches. He'd been asked to tone it down but wouldn't or couldn't.

I watched him and thought it wasn't that ott tbh. Medium to heavy in boxing terms. I just think it's because they weren't used to getting hit with punches that carried power and that regularly. I was looking forward to sparring him but they put him in with our best guy who kicked his legs to pieces to teach him a lesson and he packed up his gear and left shortly after.

I do most of my sparring in 12s. I wear 16s out of courtesy when I go to another gym, or if I'm sparring with beginners, but against people who know not to hit head too hard, I find 12s are perfectly acceptable for sparring.

'Scuse me for my ignorance but ain't the glove supposed to be about protecting yo hands?

Like, I know when I've got me 18's on the bombs are a little slower to accelerate but the hit is a little harder too. My 10's have softer padding and hit a little softer but don't have as solid thumb protection so the severity of hit is more governed by glove make than glove weight. Believe me when 100 kilos hits you with good technique, 8oz extra on the glove ain't gonna save you.

Is the weight of glove not more for me than my victims? Like a bit of resistance training?

To the "assholes", sparring in 12's is a bit different to training in 12's. At the end of the day it's personal preference, and no matter what you wear people are going to complain for the other side of the argument.

If your sparring escalates to brawling you are either not experienced or your trainers don't care about fighter safety. Obviously there are exceptions but this should not happen 90% of the time.

I just ordered a pair of 14 oz Cleto Reyes. So I'm in the middle lol

As a reference point, this video was from Wednesday night. My friend and I are both fighting next Saturday on the same show- him for a pro rules fight, and I for an amateur title. We are both wearing 12s in this clip.

[YT]aPGY6Xhn_l0[/YT]

Back