12 Years a Slave on BET

Thai Domi

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
12 Years a Slave is airing on BET right now.

Watching it, I noticed the word ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:" is not being censored. Yet, it is censored in every other instance it comes up in media.

If it's on AMC, it's censored.

If it's on The History Channel, it's censored.

If the news pundits are talking about it, they're very cautious to say "the 'N' word" instead of ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Etc., etc. etc.

So why does Black Entertainment Television feel it's ok to broadcast the word ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:" when every other media outlet avoids it?

Edit: The ******s in my post is the word November Indigo Golf Golf Echo Romeo.

I don't know. But then again I only watch BET for shows with Tyler Perry in them.

I see where you're coming from, but in a historical context, I have no problem with it being aired. As you know, that is a very powerful word. It's been used as a vehicle for hate and harm to those in the African American Community. Quite literally, if you are black and hear that word in certain situations, you have good reason to fear for your safety, maybe even your life...

It's a disgusting, reprehensible word, but it's story needs to be told in a historical context and within historical films. People should be educated on the vile circumstances that led to it and it's power should be stripped every chance available. I see this as something that strips it's power, not promotes it. And I think that's why it was allowed, though I'm only guessing.

you gotta be one bored, bitter fuck to sit there watching a movie like 12 years a slave and getting worked up over who gets to censor the word and who doesn't.

grow the fuck up. jesus, it's like every other thread i have to tell you fuckers to stop acting like children. you gotta be better than this, you are adults for fuck sake.

or maybe you aren't and you are under 18. in which case, start reading a fuckin book or something.

I see where you're coming from, but in a historical context, I have no problem with it being aired. As you know, that is a very powerful word. It's been used as a vehicle for hate and harm to those in the African American Community. Quite literally, if you are black and hear that word in certain situations, you have good reason to fear for your safety, maybe even your life...

It's a disgusting, reprehensible word, but it's story needs to be told in a historical context and within historical films. People should be educated on the vile circumstances that led to it and it's power should be stripped every chance available. I see this as something that strips it's power, not promotes it. And I think that's why it was allowed, though I'm only guessing.

You're right, but if this film was on AMC or any other channel, the word would be censored.

I believe BET left it in there to promote strife, and they did it because they're BET and they knew they would get a pass.

They're promoting division.

Why don't you contact the station and ask them?

You're right, but if this film was on AMC or any other channel, the word would be censored.

I believe BET left it in there to promote strife, and they did it because they're BET and they knew they would get a pass.

Oh I see, you don't care about the actual answer.

But we already knew that

Then what is the actual answer? And what was the question?

Again, go to the source, ask the question, and get an answer.

But the reality is, you don't actually care about the answer, you just wanted the opportunity to post your preconceived thoughts on the matter.

Which makes it a worthless opinion

12 Years a Slave is airing on BET right now.

Watching it, I noticed the word "******" is not being censored. Yet, it is censored in every other instance it comes up in media.

If it's on AMC, it's censored.

If it's on The History Channel, it's censored.

If the news pundits are talking about it, they're very cautious to say "the 'N' word" instead of "******.

Etc., etc. etc.

So why does Black Entertainment Television feel it's ok to broadcast the word "******" when every other media outlet avoids it?

Edit: The ******s in my post is the word November Indigo Golf Golf Echo Romeo.
Lollipop Orange Lollipop.

By not bleeping a word in a movie?! I mean really? That's some tinfoil hate stuff man. I'm pretty sure not bleeping the word isn't going to incite a race riot.

FCC rules, advertisers, licensing of the uncensored version, I can think of few reasons that don't have anything to do with what you're implying

Caitlin's ex is a lying abusive rapist. He's the one trying to smear her.

Last edited:
you gotta be one bored, bitter fuck to sit there watching a movie like 12 years a slave and getting worked up over who gets to censor the word and who doesn't.

grow the fuck up. jesus, it's like every other thread i have to tell you fuckers to stop acting like children. you gotta be better than this, you are adults for fuck sake.

or maybe you aren't and you are under 18. in which case, start reading a fuckin book or something.

says the guy getting worked up by an internet sub-forum

"oh no, someone's wrong on the internet!"

talk about get a life. if you can't take the war room, gtfo

War room gonna war room. This place is full of hardcore racists with the biggest chips on their shoulders.

Back