12 year old girls stab their friend to praise "Slender Man."

6 years is in no way justice for this victum, which is why they should be tried as adults.

Unless you are rich, white or are famous. Then no time would suffice.

What about 9 years. 12? 15? Where's the distinction?

6 years of your life is not nothing. Nothing is going to change that awful act. 6 years or 25. I do believe these girls should have a chance to be rehabilitated and have some chance at a normal life down the road.

Unless you are rich, white or are famous. Then no time would suffice.

What about 9 years. 12? 15? Where's the distinction?

6 years of your life is not nothing. Nothing is going to change that awful act. 6 years or 25. I do believe these girls should have a chance to be rehabilitated and have some chance at a normal life down the road.

And this is saying the victim deserves no justice for what was done to her. They deserve what the judge sees as justice for the victim and she deserves to have her say as a victim. It could be 10, 15, 20 or more but the judge will take into consideration their age and their possible rehabilitation.

Indeed, they would be in the all-supporting world of... prison.

And then they will get out, having spent their developemental years there, acquiring no life skills and minimal normal human interaction.

And then... Victory?

Their developmental years at home also got them no life skills and minimal normal human interaction also. They need to be locked up for a while in a new environment. The old one wasn't working. Prison is probably the only chance to change. At home, they will likely go back to their old habits and do something violent again someday.

Their developmental years at home also got them no life skills and minimal normal human interaction also. They need to be locked up for a while in a new environment. The old one wasn't working. Prison is probably the only chance to change. At home, they will likely go back to their old habits and do something violent again someday.

You must have been reading a different article, which includes information on their home life. Could you link that one?

You must have been reading a different article, which includes information on their home life. Could you link that one?

I don't need a link. Kids raised in a good environment don't cut their friends up with knives to worship the Slender Man.

I don't need a link. Kids raised in a good environment don't cut their friends up with knives to worship the Slender Man.

Ah. I assume you're also well educated in the field of mental illness?

If they are charged as a child it would put them out at 6 years served no matter what.

So those that support this are saying fuck the victim who will be scared physically and mentally for life?

They knew what they were doing and deserve to spend a very long time in jail.

They will not go to an adult prison until they are 18 even if convicted as an adult.

And the judge will have a say taking into consideration their age at sentencing.

LOL because revenge erases all form of pain and suffering?

Using the fact that these kids thought they were being directed by a make-believe magical figure into killing someone as reason they shouldn't be tried as adults isn't a good measuring stick. People use that exact same reasoning for every type of decision, all over the world, every day.

And 12 years old willingly sleep with older men and even defend them when they are exposed. Clearly they wanted it and since they are high functioning adult then age of consent can be lowered to 12.

Same with the age at which you can sell your soul to banks, because they can read right? therefore they can sign contracts.

Its not a matter of opinion, its a well established scientific fact that the brain has not matured completely at that age, trying them as an adult when they wouldnt even be able to be tried as an adult if they were adults its a joke.

LOL because revenge erases all form of pain and suffering?

No but justice for the victims is a start in the right direction.

But the PC school of thought now is the criminal is more important then the victims.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I was in no way saying that these 12 year old's should be tried as adults. They're clearly NOT adults, as they're 12, and if you're going to have a system that recognizes that children are not adults, you should use it when deciding if children should be tried as children, or as adults.

What I was saying is that, just because someone says they were doing what the Tooth Fairy told them to do does not mean they shouldn't be tried as adults, as in that case, everyone who sets a bomb for Allah gets a pass.

But the PC school of thought now is the criminal is more important then the victims.

I haven't seen any evidence of that in this thread. Can you perhaps point in either article or this thread where it's been stated that the criminal is more important than the victim?

Per your post you care saying they don't deserve punishment for what they did only help because they should not be punished as the are kids. This says the victim deserve no justice. The victim deserves first consideration always and just saying I'm sorry this happened to you but on to what we can do to the the criminals is telling the victim they get no justice. These two need to be punished for what they did to that girl and she needs and deserves the justice. Rehabilitation and help will be offered and even require in precision especially in the juvenile system.

Any system that doesn't consider the victims first is screwed up.

Based on what? America has the most draconian prison system among first world nations and yet has the highest recidivism rates and the highest violence rates./

A system that creates more victims because of an abstract concept of revenge is not only wrong, its an accomplice to future crimes.

The PC school of thought is that a dog that bites should be educated not to bite, not beat it up, lock it in a cage then set it out on the street to bite more people.

The victim entitlement to revenge doesnt trumps my right to not have people leave prison as violent criminals.

The point of treing them as adults is to prevent them from does ng the max of 6 years and then they are out.

The judge may in fact sentence them to 25 year and with 15 years suspended. The judge will have the choice and will take their age into consideration which he should.

The point of treing them as adults is to prevent them from does ng the max of 6 years and then they are out.

The judge may in fact sentence them to 25 year and with 15 years suspended. The judge will have the choice and will take their age into consideration which he should.

And then what?

Whether it's in 6 years or in 10, or in 15 or 25, these girls will still eventually be released, far more messed up than they were when they went in (unless you are arguing that the American prison system has success currently in rehabilitation and mental health programs, which seems to not be the case).

I'll be interested to see some ACTUAL information come out about this situation. Killing someone because you wanted their money or you didn't like them or you were trying to impress your scumbag buddies deserves jail time. Killing (or attempting to in this case) someone because you thought an IMAGINARY character wanted you to is likely good evidence that you SHOULD NOT be in prison (though clearly you do need to be removed from society for everyone's safety).

I haven't seen any evidence of that in this thread. Can you perhaps point in either article or this thread where it's been stated that the criminal is more important than the victim?

How many have been concerned about justice for the victim in this thread?

Based on what? America has the most draconian prison system among first world nations and yet has the highest recidivism rates and the highest violence rates./

A system that creates more victims because of an abstract concept of revenge is not only wrong, its an accomplice to future crimes.

If you get a chance to go straight after justice is done and don't use it then the three strike law shouldn't into effect. Again this type of thinking tells the victim theirbsuffering does not matter. Yes or provision need work as an example those in for drugs that were for personal use.
The PC school of thought is that a dog that bites should be educated not to bite, not beat it up, lock it in a cage then set it out on the street to bite more people.

The victim entitlement to revenge doesnt trumps my right to not have people leave prison as violent criminals.

The prision system reform has nothing to do with justice for the victim, they are separate issues.

And then what?

Whether it's in 6 years or in 10, or in 15 or 25, these girls will still eventually be released, far more messed up than they were when they went in (unless you are arguing that the American prison system has success currently in rehabilitation and mental health programs, which seems to not be the case).

I'll be interested to see some ACTUAL information come out about this situation. Killing someone because you wanted their money or you didn't like them or you were trying to impress your scumbag buddies deserves jail time. Killing (or attempting to in this case) someone because you thought an IMAGINARY character wanted you to is likely good evidence that you SHOULD NOT be in prison (though clearly you do need to be removed from society for everyone's safety).

If they need mental health care the judge can make sure they get it, being tried as an adult does not prevent that.

If they need mental health care the judge can make sure they get it, being tried as an adult does not prevent that.

Indeed, if being tried as an adult doesn't prevent or alter the courts view on their crime, the judge will effectively weigh all relevant factors, and they still have the same chance of recieving whatever help or sentence would actually be best for SOCIETY (ie, not locked away for 10 years and ignored, but actually dealt with in a way that ensures when they are released they are not going to do the same thing again, or something worse), then I don't understand the need for ANYONE to be tried as anything OTHER than an adult.

Of course, I highly doubt all of that is actually going to happen.

Seems to me that if they have to try them as adults to put them away for more than 6 years, then maybe they need to rewrite these laws if they're just going to do it anyway.

I honestly don't care that they're 12. I'd never trust people like that around my kids or my pets. The longer they are separated from society, the better for everyone else. 12 is absolutely old enough to understand violence and death, and to have formed a healthy conscience about it.

Back