12 year old girls stab their friend to praise "Slender Man."

Yes, because thinking that slenderman is real is proof that they are mature enough to stand trial.

Using the fact that these kids thought they were being directed by a make-believe magical figure into killing someone as reason they shouldn't be tried as adults isn't a good measuring stick. People use that exact same reasoning for every type of decision, all over the world, every day.

Using the fact that these kids thought they were being directed by a make-believe magical figure into killing someone as reason they shouldn't be tried as adults isn't a good measuring stick. People use that exact same reasoning for every type of decision, all over the world, every day.

And those people are adults. These kids are not.

The measuring stick is that they are 12. Not 16, Not 17 and not 18. Again, either you're an adult or you're not.

Can joining the army but can't drink. Check.

Can get married but can't vote.

Can smoke but can't drink.

The list goes on and it's all ridiculous.

Those girls should be in prison.

This seems a terrible idea. How long would they be in prison for? It's not going to be forever, they're going to get out, and likely they're going to get out after just enough time that they're going to be even MORE messed up than when they went in, as well as having completely missed out on learning any life skills or making any connections that could help them in the future.

It sounds like what these kids need is help. If this story was about a thirty year old man who did the exact same thing, he'd still need help, or failing that he, AND WE, would be far better off if he were in a psychiatric institution.

Easy tough guy. Let's stop with the personal insults and stay on topic. Yep. Thanks.
Says the guy that was insulting me the page before. But I don't care.

And yes, I live next to people I am much more concerned about. Ever checked http://www.familywatchdog.us/ or http://www.criminalcheck.com/ to see if sexual predators live near you? I have and that disturbs me far more than these stupid little girls. They NEED help and rehabilitation.
Honestly despite the internet disagreement, I hope your kid is always safe and I mean that.

This seems a terrible idea. How long would they be in prison for? It's not going to be forever, they're going to get out, and likely they're going to get out after just enough time that they're going to be even MORE messed up than when they went in, as well as having completely missed out on learning any life skills or making any connections that could help them in the future.

It sounds like what these kids need is help. If this story was about a thirty year old man who did the exact same thing, he'd still need help, or failing that he, AND WE, would be far better off if he were in a psychiatric institution.
Ayin, they aren't getting help at home. Home got them where they are today (cutting up their friend with a blade). Internet and video games raised these girls. The only chance they probably have to rehabilitate is in prison.

This is what happens when Jesus is not in your life.

Yes, because thinking that slenderman is real is proof that they are mature enough to stand trial.

By this argument, no Christian, Muslim, Sikh, etc should ever be held accountable for their actions because they are mentally unfit. Which I actually kind of agree with, but that's besides the point.

Ayin, they aren't getting help at home. Home got them where they are today (cutting up their friend with a blade). Internet and video games raised these girls. The only chance they probably have to rehabilitate is in prison.

Maybe I have the wrong view or information. I was under the assumption that most prisons in America were not well set up to handle either mental illness or rehabilitate, is this not the case?

This is what happens when Jesus is not in your life.

Well not always. Plenty of non-Christians are good people. But these girls need a lot less Slender Man and a lot more Jesus in their life. Maybe in Prison they will go to Church and learn to put the 10 Commandments into practice.

Maybe I have the wrong view or information. I was under the assumption that most prisons in America were not well set up to handle either mental illness or rehabilitate, is this not the case?

It is the case. The purpose of prison is to keep people unfit to live in society out of society. Rehab is usually just a bleeding heart wet dream that is a statistical outlier, unfortunately.

You may be right. I don't know. At least they would be away from the triggers at home that led them to do this.

Dude nobody is saying fuck the victim here. I'm glad she survived and should never have to have gone through that.

That being said these girls believing in some make-believe monster tells you something about their ability to know right from wrong in the proper context.

Why is that someone who drives drink and kills a family get's maybe 5 years or even 10 but these kids have to get up to, what was it, 60 years? Ridiculous.

Per your post you care saying they don't deserve punishment for what they did only help because they should not be punished as the are kids. This says the victim deserve no justice. The victim deserves first consideration always and just saying I'm sorry this happened to you but on to what we can do to the the criminals is telling the victim they get no justice. These two need to be punished for what they did to that girl and she needs and deserves the justice. Rehabilitation and help will be offered and even require in precision especially in the juvenile system.

Any system that doesn't consider the victims first is screwed up.

Per your post you care saying they don't deserve punishment for what they did only help because they should not be punished as the are kids. This says the victim deserve no justice. The victim deserves first consideration always and just saying I'm sorry this happened to you but on to what we can do to the the criminals is telling the victim they get no justice. These two need to be punished for what they did to that girl and she needs and deserves the justice. Rehabilitation and help will be offered and even require in precision especially in the juvenile system.

Any system that doesn't consider the victims first is screwed up.

I didn't say the shouldn't be punished. I said they shouldn't be tired as adults. Doesn't mean they won't do time away from society. What I want is for them to get some mental help while they are locked away from society. I have no problem with them staying until they are 18 or 21 provided they show that they have learned from this horrible tragedy and can be better people. That's all.

You may be right. I don't know. At least they would be away from the triggers at home that led them to do this.

Indeed, they would be in the all-supporting world of... prison.

And then they will get out, having spent their developemental years there, acquiring no life skills and minimal normal human interaction.

And then... Victory?

Also, seems to me an awful lot of people have been killed because someone's god told them they needed to die. I don't think this kid needs more make-believe to latch on to, especially if they have a real mental illness, which a child who tries to kill someone for a make-believe monster likely has.

I didn't say the shouldn't be punished. I said they shouldn't be tired as adults. Doesn't mean they won't do time away from society. What I want is for them to get some mental help while they are locked away from society. I have no problem with them staying until they are 18 or 21 provided they show that they have learned from this horrible tragedy and can be better people. That's all.

6 years is in no way justice for this victum, which is why they should be tried as adults.

Man, imagine going for a bike ride and finding a 12 year old girl with 20 stab wounds.

At least he found her. Imagine realizing later that you had biked past a 12 year old girl who had been stabbed but you didn't notice her.

Back