Economy 12 Months of a New York Banker's Income & Spending

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Trending data chart I found as a fascinating case study, and that I thought the forum would also find enlightening:

His total income was $164,700.

Assuming he is single, and the simplest schemes, he should be in the 4th highest tax bracket, taxed at an income rate of 24%, below the 3rd bracket taxed at 32% ($157,501-$200,000); his bonus should be federally taxed at the flat rate of 22%.

Despite the high cost of living in NY, in which I'm assuming he gains no equity, with those savings, he should be well on his way to ascending to the ranks of what many in this country perceive as "wealthy" thanks to his remarkable savings which I assume are intended for a future home purchase, or other stable investments with modest yields I assume would appeal to a banker who makes charts like this.

I recall an article a year or two ago in the WSJ that found women in the 18-35 bracket spend in average range from ~$3,000-$8,500 a year on clothes & make-up alone (largely dependent on where they live in the country). The average household income in 2017 was $61,372, and the average wage in the USA was $48,251. That's comes out to roughly 10% of the typical American income.

I still believe our fates lie largely in our own hands.

The only people who live in poverty in America are the lazy, the addicted, and the willfully stupid.

You posted this why? Unless I’m missing something?

Is this a debate on fate or something? Believe what you wanna believe and act how you want to act

“Fate is what fate means to you”

-Kenny Florian

Pretty amazing to see how little savings he has

He sounds poor.

Trending data chart I found a fascinating case study, and that I thought the forum would also find enlightening:

His total income was $164,700.

Assuming he is single, and the simplest schemes, he should be in the 4th highest tax bracket, taxed at an income rate of 24%, below the 3rd bracket taxed at 32% ($157,501-$200,000); his bonus should be federally taxed at the flat rate of 22%.

Despite the high cost of living in NY, in which I'm assuming he gains no equity, with those savings, he should be well on his way to ascending to the ranks of what many in this country perceive as "wealthy" thanks to his remarkable savings which I assume are intended for a future home purchase, or other stable investments with modest yields I assume would appeal to a banker who makes charts like this.

I recall an article a year or two ago in the WSJ that found women in the 18-35 bracket spend in average range from ~$3,000-$8,500 a year on clothes & make-up alone (largely dependent on where they live in the country). The average household income in 2017 was $61,372, and the average wage in the USA was $48,251. That's comes out to roughly 10% of the typical American income.

I still believe our fates lie largely in our own hands.

Where is he living in New York for 28,000 a year?

I think you mean he commutes from new jersey.

Where is he living in New York for 28,000 a year?

I think you mean he commutes from new jersey.
It doesn't say he lives in the city, and presumably he occupies a single apartment.

It doesn't say he lives in the city, and presumably he occupies a single apartment.

I get what you are saying. There are plenty of people who make a decent wage, and are still broke. Almost everyone I work with counts on overtime to support their lifestyle. That is dumb.

The problem is that those people making those wages, used to be almost wealthy, and could still be well off without any actual financial planning skills.

I get what you are saying. There are plenty of people who make a decent wage, and are still broke. Almost everyone I work with counts on overtime to support their lifestyle. That is dumb.

The problem is that those people making those wages, used to be almost wealthy, and could still be well off without any actual financial planning skills.
Is that the only thing that changed? Here's the chart of average savings over time:
united-states-personal-savings.png

The only people who live in poverty in America are the lazy, the addicted, and the willfully stupid.

While this is true a lot of those things are because of their upbringing.

Is that the only thing that changed? Here's the chart of average savings over time:
united-states-personal-savings.png

Sure, but what is that driven by?

I would argue the major driver's are consumerism, planned obscolecence, and inflation in certain sectors with deflation in consumer goods, creating this absurd lie of a measurement in the real ground we have lost to inflation from stagnent wages.

While this is true a lot of those things are because of their upbringing.

Upbringing from parents who are also lazy, addicted, and willfully stupid. Plenty of children who come from shit families make good. In the end, it is no one else’s fault but your own if you don’t make it in this country. If you can’t make it here, you can’t make it anywhere.

TS: THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE RE: WAGES/INEQUALITY PPL ARE ALL DOING GREAT JUST LOOK AT THIS ONE GUY

You ever consider interning for a DNC position?

Maybe for a Koch brothers "research institute"?

Pretty amazing to see how little savings he has

27k a year in savings is not little even comparable to his high salary, especially if you have an employer match your 401k by 6-10%.

Even if you only max out your 401k and Roth starting at age 22, you can have several million dollars by retirement. Of course he exceeds the Roth limit but he didn't right away and could have probably put away 30k before his salary exceeded the limit.

You basically have to be a complete idiot to be poor in America.

Thompson: He made an awful lot of money.
Bernstein: Well, it's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want is to make a lot of money.

TS: THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE RE: WAGES/INEQUALITY PPL ARE ALL DOING GREAT JUST LOOK AT THIS ONE GUY

You ever consider interning for a DNC position?

Maybe for a Koch brothers "research institute"?

This OP reminds me of JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon's recent Congressional testimony. He was willing to personally help an entry-level JP Morgan employee cinch that belt up tighter to budget her money more wisely.

The D Man also suggested that regardless of her current financial straights, the result of a ridiculously insufficient salary, with the right amount of bootstrap pulling she just might have HIS job one day.

He’s clearly a guy who works at a Wells Fargo or Chase as a personal banker. That’s chump change in the city, a BANKER makes that a week or a day sometimes

Back