12-6 Elbows: Proposed Rule to Lift the Ban

Do you support the ban reversal?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wheelock already has some ideas about what he'll discuss with the committee coming up, beginning with the abolition of the ban on 12-to-6 elbows in fights. The rules committee unanimously voted to recommend that foul be removed from MMA's Unified Rules this year, but the removal was struck down by the ABC medical committee.

There just wasn't enough support for it this year, so Wheelock said he will propose the start of a pilot program in late 2016 into 2017. His plan includes asking five to six commissions to remove the 12-to-6 elbow ban temporarily and collect data on its usage. The rules committee will then present that data to the medical committee before next year's ABC Conference.

"First, let's see if it's even being thrown," Wheelock said. "Then let's see if any fights are being finished by it, if we're seeing lacerations, if we're seeing concussions. Empirical evidence."

The rules committee had success doing something like that this year, testing out proposed rules changes at multiple MMA events with willing commissions. Of course, Wheelock said, a promoter will have to be OK with his or her event being a kind of guinea pig. But the former Bellator play-by-play man and current Kansas commissioner is adamant that the 12-to-6 elbows foul should be scrapped, especially since all other elbow strikes are legal.

"To me, it has nothing to do with safety," Wheelock said. "If this were the old PRIDE rules and there were no elbows to the head of a grounded opponent and we're arguing for [12-to-6 elbows], that's a tough battle. But if we're allowing diagonal elbows and downward elbows and upward elbows and side elbows and forearm smashes, that personally doesn't make any sense to me."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/4...to-discuss-12-to-6-elbows-instant-replay-next

Anyone see that filthy 12-6
Florian esque elbow from guard
that pepey hit Elkins with recently?

Shit sounded like he cracked a
coconut against a rock!:eek:

No need for them. from full mount that shit is nasty. Imagine catching one of those right in the eye socket. No thanks.

jon-jones-crying-press-conference-doping1.jpg

If it results in more exciting ground-based matches I'm all for it.

The way the rule is written it's really not banning a whole lot anyway. Strikes to the back if the head/neck will still be illegal so we won't see guys getting wrecked on stuffed shots or anything like that. It's a dumb foul basically, and I doubt it'll really change much to lift the ban so I'm all for it being lifted.

Whoever the fuck voted against the ban reversal should ban themselves from Sherdog instead. I thought this was a pro-MMA forum.

Can you please elaborate?

I'm pro-violence. Pro-anything that gives the fighter more tools to use against their opponent. People act as though we'll suddenly start seeing more Tito-esque cracked skulls in the octagon. Truth is, fighters will adapt their defensive tactics to take a possible 12-6 elbow into account. The fight game is always evolving. Guys won't suddenly start dying left and right.

Do you guys remember why it was forbidden in the first place? It's ridiculous. If it was legal there would be no one who thought of it as different from other elbow strikes.

Back