10th planet techniques

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Mguz007, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Mguz007

Mguz007 White Belt

I live in NJ and there are no 10th planet jiu jitsu gyms within a reasonable driving distance of me, yet I am very intreseted in the system. Does anyone know of any other jiu jistu gyms in NJ that have included some of the 10th planet system into their gyms unofficially.

By the way I dont want to turn this into a debate on wether 10th planet jiu jitsu is is good or not, or who hates eddie bravo. Im just looking for information.

2. PerfectBalance

PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

They teach no gi jiu jitsu of all variety's and most of there gyms are reasonable price. They also promote a no hold barred approach to submission wrestling with no moves being off limits twister and bicep slicers, catch wrestling moves and so on.

3. mov3m3nt

mov3m3nt White Belt

my best suggestion is to look around for youself. i know personaly at my gym i have at least one teacher who uses many diffrent 10th plant moves, and some of the teachers dont use any. i wouldnt call us an unoffical 10th planet school, but i say if the schools an open minded school you should still be able to learn some 10thjj moves.

4. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

You'll get mostly the same stuff at any BJJ school, just that 10th Planet will focus on the rubber guard.

5. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

If you are waiting for a "good" 10th planet gym before you start learning bjj you will be wasting a lot of time sitting around not training. In 6 months or however long you wait you could be learning good basic bjj techniques. Once you get the basics you could then start working on adding in the 10th Planet to your game.

6. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Good advice.

7. pdoogie2001

pdoogie2001 Orange Belt

I agree with the poster who pointed out you will waste valuable time looking for a 10th planet academy when you could be training the basics-- Affiliations are nice, but they're not everything. By being so specific about requiring 10th planet moves specifically you're most likely turning your back on some very high quality instructors /instruction, as well as making one of the biggest mistakes many new guys make, which is, of course, assuming that you know enough about jiu-jitsu as a white belt to even be able to truly discern between a good and a bad academy or technique, which you most likely don't.

It's highly likely that whatever gym you walk into will have an instructor with 100x the knowledge you have now, and really time on the mat is the most important factor for a beginner anyway, as teaching your body how to move correctly (particularly your hips) is more important than individual moves anyway.

Each instructor has their own approach and, while I can appreciate that you are Eddie Bravo's fan, there are no secret techniques anymore, everybody knows mostly the same moves, and it's the basic moves that work best anyway--if you don't believe this, go watch Roger Gracie highlights, he's probably the best grappler in the world right now, and he uses the most basic techniques every time, nothing fancy about what he does, just solid basics.

8. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

10th Planet guys talk a lot about a 'system', but BJJ simply isn't a cookie-cutter art. Everybody is expected to develop an individual style along the way, and nobody says you can't use moves that your instructor doesn't use. Finding a school that teaches solid basics is much more important.

9. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

fourfiff made it sound like his gym (taught under denny prokopos, eddie bravo black belt) doesn't focus on rubber guard at all. denny uses it, but he doesn't force it on anyone