10th planet JJ or wrestling for 5 year old and 7 year old ?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
as far as good quality training these are my two options.

I coach kids folkstyle wrestling and am a catch wrestler. I personally can't stand BJJ and my first instinct is to tell you wrestling. However, BJJ has a bit more appeal to kids with the belt system and emphasis on ground work vs take downs. A proper take down is pretty technical and little ones may get "bored" early on. I feel the learning curve on wrestling is a bit steeper than with BJJ. If your kids wants to wrestle I would whole heartedly say let him wrestle. If he doesn't like it put him in BJJ. I'd rather see him grow up grappling than hate one and quit.

Wresting is the better option that could also get them a free education in the future. Also a better base to go from wrestling to bjj later than the other way around. Wrestlers give bjj guys problems pretty quickly after learning some fundamentals. Bjj guys starting wrestling late almost never do the same.

Wrestling, they can always do BJJ later but it is hard to find wrestling programs for adults.

Wrestling, they can always do BJJ later but it is hard to find wrestling programs for adults.

This. I wish my parents had put me in wrestling! Plus they can then continue it via their schools, and while it definitely costs money (going to tournaments, laundry, eventually camps, etc.) it's probably more cost-effective than BJJ as well.

Last edited:
im thinking wrestling if for nothing else its free while theyre in school

had my 6 year old in bjj since he was 4, and my 2 year old will probably follow suit, but the minute they hit middle school (or the earliest wrestling is available) ill take them out of bjj,

really does provide a good base for bjj later, man I wish I wrestled as a kid

Wrestling communities can differ but typically it's a really great place to have kids learn some tough lessons in a safe environment. I wrestled through middle school and high school and refereed some kids program wrestling tournaments so that's my experience.

BJJ for kids is going to be all over the place, some programs will teach the disclipline and hard work ethic of wrestling but it's more likely it will just be a participation trophy type experience.

Well considering they are not pets you are entering in a behavioral training class, why not bring them to both and let them pick?

I personally can't stand BJJ and my first instinct is to tell you wrestling.

Why? The broader appeal in BJJ will only bring more attention to other schools of grappling (catch). I've personally sought out catch because theres obviously value there where BJJ has weaknesses. That would have never happened without some sort of a base/rooted interest in grappling.

This sort of reminds me of how some powerlifters look down on crossfitters, but now you have crossfitters flooding places that specialize in powerlifting to learn the technique.

stop living through your kids. how about letting them decide what they want to do.

I would pick wrestling. You're guaranteed good coaching and free tournaments through schooling.

The instructor and the interests of the kids are the main determinants.

1) There's no reason 5-7 year old kids should play the same sport year round, so no reason they have to commit. Early childhood specialization is basically worthless outside of elite gymnastics for doing anything but getting you ego trophies for beating other small undeveloped children who barely train. Mark Shultz didn't take wrestling seriously until his Sophmore year of HS and lo and behold, all the kids that started at 5 didn't beat him despite the decade head start. Prior to puberty really all you should be doing is keeping kids active and exposing them to a variety of activities in the hope that 1) They'll find something they actually enjoy 2) they'll socialize with other kids in a healthy fashion. People want to dog on it, but participation really is more important than how good badly you kids can beat the ass of some random 7 year old.
2) It's probably the case that a wrestling coach who is coaching elementary to middle school aged kids has more experience with that bracket than an random BJJ instructor has with that developmental bracket, but that's only probability. Ask the coaches about their experience and approach to youth athletics.

All this progressive nonsense about little kids deciding things lol be a parent to your kids not the other way around. Kids will often decide to just sit home and play video games if you let everything be their choice. Chores? Oh you decide. How hard to work in school? Oh you decide.

No. You raise your kids and make the decisions that you feel are best for them until they are mature and grown enough to make their own. That’s what being a parent is about and why this generation has all these lazy do nothing kids because too many parents think “let’s let Timmy decide!!” When he is 5 years old and has no idea of the implications of his decisions whatsoever

That doesn’t mean I’m saying try to push them into one activity solely or make the professional athletes but at that young age you are supposed to guide them. They will have plenty of time to make decisions later

Its not like asking kids is they would "like" to finish their broccoli. There is such a thing as too young to understand a childs personality to know if they can handle a combat sport. Also, if I "made the decision for them" and they wound up hurt or injured in that sport they didnt really want to do i would feel fucking terrible.

I was the other way around. My parents wanted me to play the piano and made me play soccer. I loathed that fat lady that thought me piano and got kicked off the youth league soccer team for tackling kids to the ground like it was football. Naturally I found wrestling shortly after.

But what do I know. Women dont find me attractive enough or wealthy enough to reproduce with. I'll just sit here and speculate about kiddos.
All this progressive nonsense about little kids deciding things lol be a parent to your kids not the other way around. Kids will often decide to just sit home and play video games if you let everything be their choice. Chores? Oh you decide. How hard to work in school? Oh you decide.

No. You raise your kids and make the decisions that you feel are best for them until they are mature and grown enough to make their own. That’s what being a parent is about and why this generation has all these lazy do nothing kids because too many parents think “let’s let Timmy decide!!” When he is 5 years old and has no idea of the implications of his decisions whatsoever

That doesn’t mean I’m saying try to push them into one activity solely or make the professional athletes but at that young age you are supposed to guide them. They will have plenty of time to make decisions later

Depends on where you live. If you live in Oceanside, I would say 10p. If you live in Pennsylvania, I would say wrestling. Considering I have been through both systems, if I knew your location I could comment much better.

California is a top 3 wrestling state, behind Pen and Ohio.

TAKE YOUR KID TO WRESTLING.

Last edited:
The instructor and the interests of the kids are the main determinants.

1) There's no reason 5-7 year old kids should play the same sport year round, so no reason they have to commit. Early childhood specialization is basically worthless outside of elite gymnastics for doing anything but getting you ego trophies for beating other small undeveloped children who barely train. Mark Shultz didn't take wrestling seriously until his Sophmore year of HS and lo and behold, all the kids that started at 5 didn't beat him despite the decade head start. Prior to puberty really all you should be doing is keeping kids active and exposing them to a variety of activities in the hope that 1) They'll find something they actually enjoy 2) they'll socialize with other kids in a healthy fashion. People want to dog on it, but participation really is more important than how good badly you kids can beat the ass of some random 7 year old.
2) It's probably the case that a wrestling coach who is coaching elementary to middle school aged kids has more experience with that bracket than an random BJJ instructor has with that developmental bracket, but that's only probability. Ask the coaches about their experience and approach to youth athletics.
Actually, this is becoming less and less true. Almost completely across the board. If you look at all of our world team members, all of the All Americans, and most of the state champions in top states, they are what we call in wrestling "age groupers." These are kids who specialize, or at least focus heavily in wrestling from a young age, somewhere between 5-9 years old. You will still find the occasional All American who started in 9th grade, but they are either extremely rare, or they are heavyweights.

While I dont think its necessary to become an elite level wrestler by specializing in one sport only, I would say it is necessary to participate in wrestling at least during the season starting at ages 5-9.

Back