10th planet jiu jitsu system and other affiliations

PerfectBalance

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recently have been training at a 10th planet affiliate and I love it awesome people trainers and the price is reasonable. I'm just wondering if each gym has it's own style that most students adopt. Most people think of 10th planet as a bunch of flexible skinny guys doing rubber guard, but a lot of the guys that train at my gym are wrestlers and there is more of a focus on leg locks and submissions from butterfly, half guard, and other basic guards then rubber guard and breaking posture. I was wondering if this is normal for most affiliations. Do all Gracie Barra schools train in the similiar style or does it have more to do with the instructor, the students or the area. On another note do you guys notice the differences when training at your other affiliates. Where I'm at they encourage us to go to different gyms to feel out new energy.

I train at a 10'th planet affiliate gym currently as well; the guys are super chill, we normally work on more basic stuff like guard passing/ basic subs/ positional concepts. I'm a big guy, so I've started working off my back a bunch since I'm used to getting top.

I like it, though. We don't have any black belts/ shirts unfortunately, but I don't have a car and the only place w/ a black belt in spokane is too far for me. It's a good set up though, I do jits and then train hands at the boxing gym upstairs.

the reason i wouldn't want to train at a tenth planet gym is because I assume that they would be all caught up in the new 'totally badass puppet master series 69' guard of the week instead of focusing on breaking posture

guess it's not like that! good to know!

maybe it's because of eddie screaming about his so called "revolution".

the reason i wouldn't want to train at a tenth planet gym is because I assume that they would be all caught up in the new 'totally badass puppet master series 69' guard of the week instead of focusing on breaking posture

You really don't have much of a choice working with rubber guard at my affiliate school. Try to break down some of the wrestlers posture here is a task requiring to much energy and everyone knows what your doing and just use home alone defense and posture there arms from danger. A lot of guys that train have started at other gyms, so there basic jiu jitsu is great and they work off that. Don't get me wrong there's guy that love the Eddie Bravo stuff, but a lot of times there practicing it more then applying it or they transition back to the basics. On the other hand the guys here have shown me more about leglocks in a month and half then I learned at a Gracie affiliate in 2 years.

you know what they say about assuming stuff.

I was wondering if this is normal for most affiliations. Do all Gracie Barra schools train in the similiar style or does it have more to do with the instructor, the students or the area..

Yes.

10th Planet is a school, not a system. Eddie is just bullshitting you. Technically every human being who grapples has a "system" Bravo just gave his a name so he could stand out more.

One sign of a good instructor is that he can produce students who don't necessarily mimic his style of grappling (think Fabio Gurgel and Marcelo Garcia). That's all I'll say.

You really don't have much of a choice working with rubber guard at my affiliate school. Try to break down some of the wrestlers posture here is a task requiring to much energy and everyone knows what your doing and just use home alone defense and posture there arms from danger. A lot of guys that train have started at other gyms, so there basic jiu jitsu is great and they work off that. Don't get me wrong there's guy that love the Eddie Bravo stuff, but a lot of times there practicing it more then applying it or they transition back to the basics. On the other hand the guys here have shown me more about leglocks in a month and half then I learned at a Gracie affiliate in 2 years.

I myself practice rubber guard but I don't train at a tenth planet system, I see this as having

a) it's a good thing to be able to tap someone with the rubber guard when they don't know all the proper defenses.

I see this like this basically, if I'm in someone's side control and he always practices side control. that is HIS position, he's going to be better than me unless I start practicing my side control defense more. and even then he will still probably be able to tap me with it. my best bet is to prevent him from passing my guard. same applies with rubber guard for my opponent - if he doesn't know the defenses he will try his hardest to not get caught in it.

b) it's a bad thing to only be able to tap someone that doesn't practice rubber guard themselves because eventually in competition someone will be able to shut down my game

When a guy pulls home alone, you can roll for a shoulder lockdown to triangle... push the arm of your choice(his arm) across your belly, to where his albow rests on your navel.... generally you want to do this on the side opposite your top foot to lock the triangle easier. say you choose the right arm(your left side.)... roll back on your shoulders and lock your legs up on his neck, making sure that you have his right shoulder (your left side in case this wasn't obvious) locked in by your left leg.

Oh no, you've broken his home alone defense and he's in triangle city.(cue Home Alone face) cinch the choke, secure the win. throw up your 10th Planet gang sign.

10th Planet Allstars DVD baby.

Back