10th planet grades recognised by ibjjf?

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
as above are gradings under 10th planet recognised by the ibjjf? for egsample could a blue or purple in eddys system go and compete in that grade at mundials?

Technically, this might change as we get into the whole membership card side of registration. I've already heard of a few people with lineages that don't meet IBJJF requirements having trouble, so maybe when the scheme gets extended to all belts, we might see a problem with it. For now, anyone can fight any belt they want. Who's really going to check?

But in future...who knows?

Take care,

Oli

Brown and black belts: no?

This year, they are "tightening" the black belts entries in the GI World.

They did not stop Denny as Brown and BB in the past years.

i dont know why they care what your lineage is ,if you suck , you get smashed

I think they care for the same reason that the U.S Open cares or the NFL cares.

A professionalized sport can't have amateurs showing up to get pounded on. No one that really cares for the sport wants to pay to watch that. We want to see intriguing and technical matches.

In essence, we want to see excellence.

The IBJJF just does not want anyone that does not have "proper" lineage in their competition.

General public could be mislead by someone claiming to have competed in the IBJJF event as a BB (even thought he is not legit).

The IBJJF just does not want anyone that does not have "proper" lineage in their competition.

General public could be mislead by someone claiming to have competed in the IBJJF event as a BB (even thought he is not legit).

This is exactly the type of language bullshit artists use. Check just about any thread on here that involved the BJJ Police, usually they gang up on a guy with a website that makes two-sided claims like this. A person can enter any tournament at the highest level (BB for example), lose, and still claim "competed internationally at the black belt level in BJJ". Sure, they lasted a total of 8 seconds in 4 matches, and technically they're not lying. But the are implying they are a BB by saying they competed at that level.

Same goes for people who claim to have trained with a laundry list of pro's. Usually, they have visited the gym or gone to a seminar. Doesn't mean they are at the pro's level though.

Hence, rules and regulations on who can make what claims.

A professionalized sport can't have amateurs showing up to get pounded on. No one that really cares for the sport wants to pay to watch that. We want to see intriguing and technical matches.

They should do a qualifier system like the other combat sports rather than have this lineage stuff. It's too subjective and political.

I agree that not just anyone should be allowed to step into the black belt division at the Worlds. However, there are also plenty of legitimate black belts who still probably shouldn't qualify to compete against guys like Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, etc. It'd be better to have a qualification system where you have to earn points by winning smaller IBJJF events in order to earn a spot at the Worlds.

Of course, then the IBJJF wouldn't make tons of money off the 100+ competitors in each bracket for the lower belts which is probably why they don't do this, but it would result in a better tournament for the elite guys.

They should do a qualifier system like the other combat sports rather than have this lineage stuff. It's too subjective and political.

I agree that not just anyone should be allowed to step into the black belt division at the Worlds. However, there are also plenty of legitimate black belts who still probably shouldn't qualify to compete against guys like Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, etc. It'd be better to have a qualification system where you have to earn points by winning smaller IBJJF events in order to earn a spot at the Worlds.

Of course, then the IBJJF wouldn't make tons of money off the 100+ competitors in each bracket for the lower belts which is probably why they don't do this, but it would result in a better tournament for the elite guys.

With the expansion of tournaments like the International Open tournaments they have been putting on this year it might become the case. But BJJ is a very young sport as far as organized international competitions are concerned so it takes time. It seems that registration is the first step in that direction.

well said!

YES. Thank you!

Spectators also don't want to see sand bagging. If a guy who is at the black belt level isn't "recognized" and forced to drop down to a division he just walks through is that any better?

Or should anyone without proper lineage simply be denied entry completely? If that happens things will get ugly... Right now BJJ is fairly small and young, you can trace lineage. What happens when it gets to karate or TKD size and instructors are several generations down that lineage tree with the top few generations long gone?

well bravo is a bb under jj machado so im not sure what lineage problems they would have exactly

i disagree entirely with enforcing a certain lineage to compete, what if you taught yourself in your basement but are an absolute gun and can smash black belts. the only requirement should be that you qualify at a smaller tournament, so all they need to do is registration to keep track of who's who, and then nominate lesser tournaments as qualifiers, so you have to place at a lesser tournament to be able to compete in the bigger tournament.

i disagree entirely with enforcing a certain lineage to compete, what if you taught yourself in your basement but are an absolute gun and can smash black belts. the only requirement should be that you qualify at a smaller tournament, so all they need to do is registration to keep track of who's who, and then nominate lesser tournaments as qualifiers, so you have to place at a lesser tournament to be able to compete in the bigger tournament.

Nobody who trains in their basement does well past blue belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back