10th planet blue teaching , cool?

I'm sure some brazilian instructors would slap you upside the head and tell you to stick with basics and not fancy garbage like that.

there is always a few kids that come in trying 10th planet stuff and my coach lets anyone practice and use any techniques they like, whether they get it from books, youtube or wherever... but he will honestly evaluate the effectiveness of the techniques when asked, lockdown in particular is a funny issue at our club as my coach thinks its old school jiujitsu and pretty much useless against decent opponants

Na, Ari went straight to purple in the art of 10th JJ.

He went straight to blue 2 stripes in BJJ.

He was posting techniques of both arts well before if he was graded in the systems.

he negotiated to a 2 stripe blue belt.

get it straight.

:p

lockdown in particular is a funny issue at our club as my coach thinks its old school jiujitsu and pretty much useless against decent opponants

I use the "lockdown", but ONLY to sweep or take my oppenents back... and I'm rarely in that position for more than a couple seconds. If I can't triangle my apponents leg to land the "lockdown", then I'll go into paragon half guard aka deep half...

When my instructor started out teaching he was white and the only club in the city, he is black now...

Sounds like the opposite of Michael Jackson! (Bada-bum!...where is that joke thread?).

If you are newbie, I am sure a blue can teach you something. But 10th planet doesn't really hold the credentials a Gracie affiliate would have (or at least I don't think so).

Sounds like the opposite of Michael Jackson! (Bada-bum!...where is that joke thread?).

If you are newbie, I am sure a blue can teach you something. But 10th planet doesn't really hold the credentials a Gracie affiliate would have (or at least I don't think so).

Jackson Michael BJJ Academy.

I have seen blues that are both extremely talented on the mat, and even better instructors. So I would check it out, skill on the mat is not what differentiates instructors, a lot of other things go into it, like use of wording, commitment and philosophy among other things.

it would have to be temporary for sure. you can't expect to progress much. gotta go to a bigger school after like a year

my instructor started out just a fan of bjj, so he'd go to hawaii and california to train (mind you he lives in the eastern half of canada). he then found out about renzo through either rickson or relson, and went down to nyc pretty often to train there. then, he set up some guys at home to train with also, so he'd go back and forth training here and there. he opened up my school a blue, now he's a black belt under renzo, with some solid competitors as his students.

When my instructor started out teaching he was white and the only club in the city, he is black now but apparently he was a decent teacher as white but of course better now.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but how did he advance from White to Blue to Purple to Brown, and eventually to Black, if he was the only instructor in the area?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but how did he advance from White to Blue to Purple to Brown, and eventually to Black, if he was the only instructor in the area?

he didnt he did the reverse of Michael Jackson white to black opposed to black to white

I don,t see a problem if the price is low. A blue was teaching a class when I was in Ohio and I ended up being able to roll for free. I tapped the coach but he was a lot better at explaining things than myself. You can learn from anyone.

He would go to different instructors outside the area and bring people in for seminars. I don't exactly know the details because I started training a month or so before he got his black belt but thats what I understand happened.

He would go to different instructors outside the area and bring people in for seminars. I don't exactly know the details because I started training a month or so before he got his black belt but thats what I understand happened.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Back