10th planet blue teaching , cool?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by digi3pod**, Jul 8, 2010.

1. digi3pod**

digi3pod** Orange Belt

im checking out some schools online and notice 10th planet blue teaching. wtf? I thought purple belt was the minimum? this shit is allowed?

2. Steelviper

Steelviper Green Belt

Gracie Barra allows blues to teach as well (bare minimum for affiliate). Like some folks were saying in that "Should I take lessons from a blue?" thread, it depends on the blue. We had blues at my school that are solid instructors, though the next testing cycle may change the hues...

3. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

There is no such thing as "allowed." Anyone can go open up a school, it's a free country.

But I wouldn't pay to train there, that's for damn sure. Unless there is absolutely no other option in the area, and it's a seasoned blue belt who still trains.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

pretty uncool if you ask me

5. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

It would not be my first choice, unless I lived in a desert and it was the only school for miles. If their is a higher belt close I would always check them out first.

However, a solid blue can teach a totally green beginner quite a bit, but the compensation for those classes should be much less than from a higher belt IMO.

6. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

A white belt can open his own school!

It is just up to people if they want to pay him.

7. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I'd pass on this because of the whole "10th planet" part.

8. TangoMF

TangoMF Blue Belt

I think most blue belts here would agree that although we know a decent amount of jiu jitsu, we're basically still a beginner rank and most of us feel like barely-functional retards next to solid purples and browns, let alone black belts.

I can't imagine a situations where, as a blue belt, I would feel comfortable opening my own school. Most purple's I know would say the same. That should probably give you an indication of the type of person who would open a school a blue. Of course there are always exceptions...

9. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I'm a purple belt, and I wouldn't open my own school. I taught a teens class as a 3-4 stripe blue, and often felt barely qualified to even do that.

10. Gorgenflex

Gorgenflex White Belt

When my instructor started out teaching he was white and the only club in the city, he is black now but apparently he was a decent teacher as white but of course better now.

11. hustles

hustles Green Belt

It depends on what your options are in your area. I am a purple now but my first instructor was a 4-stripe blue and I learned quite a bit from him during the 18 months I trained there. He is now a brown belt and still teaching, and I would still be at his school had I not moved from the middle of no where in Illinois to Southern California where my training options are unbelievable.

If you have no other choices that are reasonable to drive to, I suggest you go check out the school and if the pricing is affordable and the environment fits for you, then I believe training there is probably better than buying a DVD and practicing in your garage.

12. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

you might want to add B for belt.

13. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

Remember, a four stripe white belt gatekeeper is the same as a blue!

On Topic though- I would go to a 10th Planet JJ blue belt simply to learn the 10th Planet stuff properly.

14. digi3pod**

digi3pod** Orange Belt

the term was used within the context of the bjj community. and im sure readers could interpret it either way.but as the author i stand corrected on the poor choice of word. thank you sir pls dont kill me im sorry i dont wanna die like all those cops.

so im guessing its not common practice but isn't quite unethical as i suspected. im sorry i always thought perp was the min standard to teach. and i assumed that anything below was frown upon by the community. im not thinking about enrolling was just curious.

15. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Lmfao. Nice catch

16. WolfManJiuJitsu***

WolfManJiuJitsu*** Purple Belt

Would a blue belt really know technique properly? That Ari guy (101 submission) was blue and he posted some really bad stuff - but most poeple did not know better.

If this is your only option then go for it

if not go to someone else - Nowadays there are lots of brown and black Belts - then buy the eddie bravo books and pull your instructor aside once in awhile and ask him to help you with the 10th planet stuff.

17. grdstorm11

grdstorm11 Blue Belt

belts are a really detrimental thing sometimes and give people a false sense of superiority.

18. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I'm sure some brazilian instructors would slap you upside the head and tell you to stick with basics and not fancy garbage like that.

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Na, Ari went straight to purple in the art of 10th JJ.

He went straight to blue 2 stripes in BJJ.

He was posting techniques of both arts well before if he was graded in the systems.

20. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

LMFAO! so true indeed!