-1000 betting odds for Rousey? Value in betting on Holm?

George Jetson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Holm is a great boxer and could easily out-point Ronda if she could last for 5 rounds on the feet.

However, without one-punch KO power there's no other way to win except by points.

So why the steep odds?

Because a conservative guess would say that Ronda would force an 'exchange' with Holm at least 4 times per minute (since Ronda's an active fighter).

Over 25 minutes, that means Holm would face a minimum of 100 different exchanges with Ronda (or more) where she'd have to carefully avoid clinching EVERY single time.

...And while she can theoretically use jabs and footwork to circle away successfully during a few of those exchanges, it's virtually impossible to think she can do it for all 100 exchanges.

Therein lies the problem for Holly.

History has taught us that guys like JDS can get away from Cain's clinches and TD's several times during a fight, but a bullrusher like Cain will eventually get a hold of you if he keeps trying (especially when you tire out).

Some MMA analysts think Ronda may get tired or discouraged and give up on clinching altogether if she can be stuffed for a round or two.

But if you watch the video below Ronda doesn't ever give up trying to clinch.

Go to 3:07 on the above video.

At the 3:07 mark, Ronda is exhausted and has just 30 seconds left before Edith Bosch beats her in the 2007 world championships.

But if you look at Ronda's eyes, you'll see she has no quit in her. ...And in the final seconds of the match she throws Edith Bosch for Ippon and wins.

But hasn't Holm avoided every clinch and TD in her previous UFC fights?

Answer: Reneau and Pennington are 2 very crude grapplers with poor takedown skills. Reneau's a BJJ brown belt but has poor wrestling and takedowns. Pennington has even poorer grappling.

Ronda is not just a step up.

Ronda's grappling is 10 steps up from them.

Sarah Kaufman was trained by Greg Jackson and had a brown belt in BJJ when she faced Ronda -- yet she got sub'd in less than a minute.

Holm's grappling might be okay but she's not going to outgrapple Sarah Kaufman even.

I just don't see any bets on Holm paying off. I don't see any value in Holm on this fight.

Now Amanda Nunes would have value against Ronda, cuz she has 1 punch KO power and has a chance to KO Ronda when she tries to clinch. Holm doesn't.

Clinch.
Toss.
Sub.

Odds makers aren't dumb.

Ronda will stalk Holm like a T-800.

You expect Holm to win a decision? I want to know what the odds are that the fight is under 60 seconds.

You will be shocked how quickly you go broke chasing those big payout odds. Yes, Ronda will lose eventually, but you won't have any money left by that point if you keep betting against her because you can't resist the chance of a huge payout.

They're obviously putting Holm in there before she develops any skills to be a true threat, wouldn't doubt it if Nunes never saw a fight with Rousey.. Too much KO power, too much risk she took out McMann without the help of ol Herb "best for business" Dean.

Cause Jack Slack and a lot of sherbros said its one of the best way to challenge or beat Ronda, is to use teh Jab and Footwork: Stick and Move

Meisha(not the most athletic BW) was able to close distance and got some takedowns on Eye(moves ver well), and people believe Holms can do that for 25 mins.

Holms can use the jab and footwork and still lose a decision, hard to win when your jabbing the air( Aish Aish)

Holms can give Cybro a way more challenging fight.

Way to fall for Vegas' ploy, TS. The reason it's set at such a number is to entice you to bet Holm.... so the number can fall, and then others will find value in the certainty of Rousey... and Vegas wins again.

Opening bell sounds
Ronda rushes forward
Walks through some punches
Clinches
Tosses
And then....

IT'S ALLLLLL OVER!

Holm is a great boxer and could easily out-point Ronda if she could last for 5 rounds on the feet.

However, without one-punch KO power there's no other way to win except by points.

So why the steep odds?

Because a conservative guess would say that Ronda would force an 'exchange' with Holm at least 4 times per minute (since Ronda's an active fighter).

Over 25 minutes, that means Holm would face a minimum of 100 different exchanges with Ronda (or more) where she'd have to carefully avoid clinching EVERY single time.

...And while she can theoretically use jabs and footwork to circle away successfully during a few of those exchanges, it's virtually impossible to think she can do it for all 100 exchanges.

Therein lies the problem for Holly.

History has taught us that guys like JDS can get away from Cain's clinches and TD's several times during a fight, but a bullrusher like Cain will eventually get a hold of you if he keeps trying (especially when you tire out).

Some MMA analysts think Ronda may get tired or discouraged and give up on clinching altogether if she can be stuffed for a round or two.

But if you watch the video below Ronda doesn't ever give up trying to clinch.

Go to 3:07 on the above video.

At the 3:07 mark, Ronda is exhausted and has just 30 seconds left before Edith Bosch beats her in the 2007 world championships.

But if you look at Ronda's eyes, you'll see she has no quit in her. ...And in the final seconds of the match she throws Edith Bosch for Ippon and wins.

But hasn't Holm avoided every clinch and TD in her previous UFC fights?

Answer: Reneau and Pennington are 2 very crude grapplers with poor takedown skills. Reneau's a BJJ brown belt but has poor wrestling and takedowns. Pennington has even poorer grappling.

Ronda is not just a step up.

Ronda's grappling is 10 steps up from them.

Sarah Kaufman was trained by Greg Jackson and had a brown belt in BJJ when she faced Ronda -- yet she got sub'd in less than a minute.

Holm's grappling might be okay but she's not going to outgrapple Sarah Kaufman even.

I just don't see any bets on Holm paying off. I don't see any value in Holm on this fight.

Now Amanda Nunes would have value against Ronda, cuz she has 1 punch KO power and has a chance to KO Ronda when she tries to clinch. Holm doesn't.

Also Ronda seems to be in better shape now then when she had to gain weight for the Olympics

I'm sorry, TS, I've stopped reading your post right here. You should definitely bet on Holm because Ronda fans really need to get some better odds.

I'm sorry, TS, I've stopped reading your post right here. You should definitely bet on Holm because Ronda fans really need to get some better odds.

You should read his full post before commenting.

He's saying how it would be pretty much impossible for Holm to win by outpointing her on the feet.

-1000 go for it dude. Its all you.

The odds are so big because the fight is a joke, just like the last one.

Even though Ronda was -1000 against Beth.. I still picked Ronda and won $1,000

Even though Holm is a good boxer, Ronda will just walk through her pillow punches. Holm's best bet is a high kick KO.

If you're looking for this type of bet PVS is a -1600 favorite for some reason in her next fight which I'd only give her a slight edge in.

WMMA is like female Tennis, there are no safe bets, And Ronda is Williams... The only one I wouldn't really bet against.

$9 on Valerie Letourneau just got me $18
$10 on Nunes just got me $22.50

Betting on female underdogs isn't a bad idea, I just wouldn't do it against Ronda

Back