10 years for DUI manslaughter

I'm very anti DUI so I don't think it's long enough imo. With that said though, alcoholism is definitely a disease. Abuse isn't, but addiction by definition is.

I thought I'd run this by the war room crew, today in my province a woman who killed a family of five (two parents and 3 children all under the age of 5) while drunk driving plead guilty and was sentenced to ten years minus time served (1 year). Everyone around here is completely outraged by the fact that if to claim to have a "disease" or "illness" when it comes to drinking your automatically considered an ill person who just couldn't help what they were doing rather then a murderer. I believe this woman deserves no less then ten years per victim. Sorry for the rant but please share your opinions

Can we get a news report or something.... any sauce here at all?

I would consider that one of the largest benifits of self driving cars. Car cant drive drunk. Thats 10,000 lives a year in the USA.
Too much future too fast brain explode

That aspect of it will be very nice

Imagine this guy serves his time w/ a guy who was just as drunk and hit a car in exactly the same circumstance, ie did exactly the same thing, except the car he hit only had one person in it. Should the other guy get out earlier?

I don't know how I feel about that.

I'd have to know the facts - 1. how drunk?, 2. first time or repeated offense?, 3. any other factors contributing to the accident?, 4. past criminal record?
Assuming a clean record, no priors, she fell asleep at the wheel and wasn't driving recklessly or speeding - my instinct would be to give her 5 5 year sentences to run consecutively (25 years) with potential release after 12 for good behavior. I firmly believe that the punishment for killing multiple people should be greater than the punishment for killing one person (that's part of the reason I am in favor of the death penalty).

49 year old woman at 3x the legal limit. Speeding and ran a stop sign.

Not sure if she has any priors.

I'm on mobile so I can't post links but if you go to ctvnews.ca/regina it should show up

Cool. Here's the sauce guys :

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/mckay-handed-10-year-sentence-for-fatal-drunk-driving-crash-1.3004932

"
McKay had pleaded guilty last month to four counts of impaired driving causing death in connection to the Jan. 3 collision that killed parents Jordan and Chanda Van de Vorst, and their two young children, Kamryn and Miguire.

Crown prosecutor Michael Pilon said Wednesday McKay was driving 120 kilometres per hour at the time of the crash and had more than six drinks before attempting the drive home that night. She had two-and-a-half glasses of wine at her house before drinking three more beverages and a shot at a bar, according to Pilon.

Staff at the bar offered her a ride when she tried to leave, but she refused. She went to another bar and sang karaoke before being cut off from ordering additional drinks, Pilon said.

She was headed the opposite direction of her home on Avenue D when she ran her SUV through a stop sign and struck the Van de Vorst’s car, according to the Crown. She was trying to cross Highway 11.

Jordan and Chanda died at the scene. Five-year-old Kamryn and two-year-old Miguire died in hospital.

Pilon said McKay was so drunk she thought her vehicle was hit. She was so “out of it” she was yelling about finding her cellphone.

"

After reading the source, I say she got off super easy and the "crown" should be ashamed of themselves for such leniency. Either way she's fucked for life... I guarantee she lives that moment over and over again... kind of surprised she didn't just go ahead and commit suicide.

49 year old woman at 3x the legal limit. Speeding and ran a stop sign.

Not sure if she has any priors.

I'd up it to 5 7 year sentences - 35 years with time off after 25. I don't want the state to have to pay for assisted living here.

With our assisted suicide laws they should offer her the chance to donate organs and save 4 lives.

As much as I now hate drinking and driving, I can only think that it could be any of us.

How many people on this thread can honestly say they've never driven before when they shouldn't have? I'll admit I've done it several times. I regret it, but it's the truth.

I know that woman didn't go out with intentions to kill people. She's already ruined a bunch of lives. Should we now ruin more? Ten years is a long time. We give actual murderers about the same sometimes.

Should have gotten 25 to life with never being able to drive again.

So if she is paroled after 25 and caught driving again she should be set back for life.

Canada sometimes gives as little as 3 years to rapists and pedophiles, and they don't even serve more than 2 years. You've literally got pedophiles abusing little girls and boys repeatedly for years and the courts give them 5 years, which they don't serve entirely. You're lucky she even got 10 years to begin with. Canada's laws are fucked up.

Perhaps even worse, in recent years it's taken so ridiculously long for some cases to reach court that judges have been required to throw them out.

I thought I'd run this by the war room crew, today in my province a woman who killed a family of five (two parents and 3 children all under the age of 5) while drunk driving plead guilty and was sentenced to ten years minus time served (1 year). Everyone around here is completely outraged by the fact that if to claim to have a "disease" or "illness" when it comes to drinking your automatically considered an ill person who just couldn't help what they were doing rather then a murderer. I believe this woman deserves no less then ten years per victim. Sorry for the rant but please share your opinions

And this is how the US ended with the largest prison population in the world.

We were sold this same rational over and over, until one day we woke up in a security state, and saw how our useful outrage, and fear had been used against us.

Is ten years fair?
10 years is actually very good . Its one of the longer sentences for drunk driving causing death in Canada . But she wont spend 10 years in prison . So now ask yourself how much you are raging knowing she will likely not even serve half that before getting paroled .

Back