10 years for DUI manslaughter

ajwbjj87

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I thought I'd run this by the war room crew, today in my province a woman who killed a family of five (two parents and 3 children all under the age of 5) while drunk driving plead guilty and was sentenced to ten years minus time served (1 year). Everyone around here is completely outraged by the fact that if to claim to have a "disease" or "illness" when it comes to drinking your automatically considered an ill person who just couldn't help what they were doing rather then a murderer. I believe this woman deserves no less then ten years per victim. Sorry for the rant but please share your opinions

DUI manslaughter isn't murder.

i don't disagree. drunk drivers infuriate me, because it's common knowledge now how dangerous it is and there's zero excuse for it. it's just complete and utter selfishness.

i don't know what "province" you are from, but in california if you kill someone in a DUI and you had a prior, you are charged with what's basically 2nd degree murder and can get anywhere from 15-life. but that's only if you had a prior DUI, becuase then you are put on notice i believe by the court itself in the sentencing that you are now officially and legally aware of the dangers of a DUI, and by doing it again you intentionally put others at risk.

personally i think that should be for a first time DUI that results in a murder as well. or at the very least, a first time and .16 blood alcohol or higher.

Not even close to justice. I don't know about 50 yrs, but certainly deserves the 10 she was given.

So TS, you think her sentence would be fair if she had only killed one person?

Is ten years fair?
Honestly, I don't know. That's about the average here in Florida. I'm good as long as someone serves at least a few years in state or federal prison for their first offense.

I don't know. The question is, were the cops and paramedics that showed up to the scene of the wreck white? Because that's the most important part of any criminal investigation, right guys?

Justice is a concept created by men who create laws to tell you what to do and what not to do. Justice is different to everyone. The outdoor slave views justice differently than comfortable indoor slave.

she should have claimed she was suffering from affluenza. she could have just got community service.

she should get about 30 years in prison imo. when you decide to take your first drink, you know damned well what is involved. if you dont take precautions AT THAT TIME to prevent something like this from happening (ie giving up your keys), you are effectively saying "i will kill someone and i dont care." because you absolutely KNOW that you will not be fully capable of driving. so to me, it is murder. it isnt an "accident" or i didnt mean to. you damned sure did.

about 10 years ago my neighbor lost his wife, 2 kids both parents and a dog to a drunk driver. couldnt even imagine that

It's fucked up, but she should not be serving a scentence that someone who commits murder. I understand how emotional the families would feel especially hearing the scentence but what difference does an extra 5 years achieve or a 20 to life. Don't get me wrong the lady is a piece of shit and if she felt any guilt for what she did and took her own life so be it.

There isn't a sentence that could possibly balance the books for that one. It was still an act of negligence and not an intentional killing. Putting her away for life or putting her to death isn't justice for the criminal, and letting her out after ten years isn't justice for the victims. No justice to be found. The way to attack drunk driving is the way we are already doing it, with little tolerance and tough penalties. It's working but this shit will always happen.

There isn't a sentence that could possibly balance the books for that one. It was still an act of negligence and not an intentional killing. Putting her away for life or putting her to death isn't justice for the criminal, and letting her out after ten years isn't justice for the victims. No justice to be found. The way to attack drunk driving is the way we are already doing it, with little tolerance and tough penalties. It's working but this shit will always happen.

I would consider that one of the largest benifits of self driving cars. Car cant drive drunk. Thats 10,000 lives a year in the USA.

I'd have to know the facts - 1. how drunk?, 2. first time or repeated offense?, 3. any other factors contributing to the accident?, 4. past criminal record?
Assuming a clean record, no priors, she fell asleep at the wheel and wasn't driving recklessly or speeding - my instinct would be to give her 5 5 year sentences to run consecutively (25 years) with potential release after 12 for good behavior. I firmly believe that the punishment for killing multiple people should be greater than the punishment for killing one person (that's part of the reason I am in favor of the death penalty).

Canada sometimes gives as little as 3 years to rapists and pedophiles, and they don't even serve more than 2 years. You've literally got pedophiles abusing little girls and boys repeatedly for years and the courts give them 5 years, which they don't serve entirely. You're lucky she even got 10 years to begin with. Canada's laws are fucked up.

I had a friend killed by a drunk driver who fled the scene after. The guy was out in less then two years.

Is ten years fair?

for 5 body bags?!? you betcha!

It's pretty sad that my life being taken by a drunk driver is only worth 2 years in the sin bin. Which would most likely turn into 9 months if she scores for good behavior.

Back