10 years ago BJ Penn was stripped of the title by DW...how serious are they about Jon

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
What are you even talking about? What are you seeing that makes you even hypothesize that the UFC would strip Jones. This situation isn't even remotely similar to the Penn situation. He left the organization to fight elsewhere. Jones isn't about to do that.

Im with you, what is the point of this thread?

LOL, TS is intentionally playing dumb... An obvious Jones hater.

BJ Penn's signing with K-1 => breach of contract => stripped of title.

Jones and the UFC not agreeing with either sides' terms => fight not materialized.

There is no breach of contract in Jones' case, because Jones never signed for the Gus rematch in the first place.

Come on, if you people are going to bash Jones, at least be honest with your bashing... Don't resort to twisting the truth... :icon_lol:

^^^Where did you get the idea I don't like Jon Jones? I have watched everyone of his fights and enjoyed them all. I have created several threads on Jon Jones explaining how he would run through Bader and another thread complimenting him for his achievements vs. the best strikers in the division.

Additionally, recently I have been posting support that he should actively manage his career and not be a marionette.

Your assumptions are simply preposterous.

Im with you, what is the point of this thread?

BJ Penn chose to leave the UFC because his salary demands were not met. He left as champion and DW did not cave to his compensation demands.

Lorenzo said on the recent episode of UFC embedded that he is negotiating Jon's contract.

There is a possibility that Jon may not feel his salary requirements are met.

You couldn't put that together?

Last edited by a moderator:
All this GOAT talk lol. GOAT or not, Penn left to fight out of the organization. Jones is GOAT lhw. Maybe not everyone's favorite all time lhw.(Couture, Liddell, Rua, Griffin)I like him. He's well-rounded and flashy. He's not disrespectful necessarily, he's young(been champ since age 23).
I see Jones fighting GUS w/in his next 2 fights. I think GUS has outstanding punches. He threw combos under and straight through Jones' strikes. It was awesome.

Jones didn't sign for a different company, so they won't strip him. Why in the fuck are people even suggesting that they might?

both sides will eventually compromise. Jones won't be stripped of the belt.

That's what I am asking. Are you so sure a compromise will be reached? Do you think Jon Jones as champion today is a commodity that they wouldn't allow to walk?

I posted an example of a champion whose salary demands they would not meet. That was at the height of Baby Jay's popularity.

well he either fights Gus, or he forfeits the belt imo.

I really dont think they can give him any other options even though they probably like to.

So, will (or should) the precedent be that if a champion is able to defend his title and chooses not to within 6 months of his last defence, he forfeits the belt?

Is 6 months a precedent you support? Should it be longer (or shorter)? Keep in mind we aren't talking about champs that are out due to injury like Pettis, Cruz, etc etc.

6 months seems like a short leash

^^^Where did you get the idea I don't like Jon Jones? I have watched everyone of his fights and enjoyed them all. I have created several threads on Jon Jones explaining how he would run through Bader and another thread complimenting him for his achievements vs. the best strikers in the division.

Additionally, recently I have been posting support that he should actively manage his career and not be a marionette.

Your assumptions are simply preposterous.

You have been on Sherdog since 2009, with over 10k posts.

I believe you're more than capable of being able to tell the difference between

BJ Penn's breaching of his contract (by signing with K-1)
vs.
Jones' not able to come to terms with the UFC (not a breach of contract)
Therefore, there are two assumptions for me to make about you:

1. You're smart, but are pretending to not know the difference, and hence, you're twisting the truth to make Jones look bad (typical of Jones haters).

or

2. You cannot tell the obvious difference between the two scenarios. Thus, this makes you dumb and not necessarily a hater.

Doubt it happens. Dana is just posturing and trying to make jones look bad to the public. This week Dana said there were no contract negotiations. Last week he said there were. Hell even Lorenzo is on a video blog saying he is meeting with Jones and his manager thursday(today) to do a contract extension with Jones and talk t o Jones about why Gus makes the most sense.

and that is what I am asking...are they prepared to go to WAR if Jon decides to play hardball and use his belt as leverage. BJ Penn asked for a modest increase in compensation, was denied, and chose not to cave into pressure from the UFC.

Is Jon willing to stick to his guns like Baby Jay did, and if he does is DW willing to let him walk the same way he let Penn?

Ridiculously stupid thread. 10 years ago the sport was completely different. People fought for multiple promotions and contracts were not what they are today. And the media and fans were different then too, so the UFC could do whatever they wanted. They would never screw Jones like that because A) he could be their biggest star in the near future B) the sport is corporate now, Jones has big money sponsors that would bitch and FOX would not be happy at all C) fans and media would be super pissed off and actually rebel against the UFC. So Jones will never have his belt taken away or get cut out of nowhere because we aren't living in the MMA dark ages any more.

So, you are saying Jon has all the leverage in the world and should hold firm on his compensation demands?

That's what created the champion clause in contracts. Even if it is your last fight you're still under contract as long as you are champ.

Had the UFC known that Penn would beat Hughes (and no one did. It was almost laughable to think he'd win considering he was this underachieving LW) they wouldn't have made that match.

Thats not what the champion clause says. It just sticks them for another 18 months, not forever.

Jon is the one that isn't serious, he's just throwing a hissy fit and there's no way that he'll actually play hardball with the UFC.

In the end, everything will go as scheduled. Jon will fight Gustaffson and that'll be that.

You have been on Sherdog since 2009, with over 10k posts.

I believe you're more than capable of being able to tell the difference between

BJ Penn's breaching of his contract (by signing with K-1)
vs.
Jones' not able to come to terms with the UFC (not a breach of contract)
Therefore, there are two assumptions for me to make about you:

1. You're smart, but are pretending to not know the difference, and hence, you're twisting the truth to make Jones look bad (typical of Jones haters).

or

2. You cannot tell the obvious difference between the two scenarios. Thus, this makes you dumb and not necessarily a hater.

BJ Penn, as champion, asked for a slight increase in compensation because he was worth more than what his UFC contract was paying him. Only after the UFC refused to increase his pay did BJ leave.

Lorenzo said he is negotiating Jon's contract right now. If Jon asks for more than the UFC brass feels he is worth (which they are discussing per Lorenzo) and Jon plays hardball by not signing a bout agreement until they do, do you believe the UFC will strip him? In that scenario how long do you believe a champion should have until he is stripped because he just fought one month ago? Should the precedent be one month, 6 months, a year?

I can't make it any clearer than that.

Jon is the one that isn't serious, he's just throwing a hissy fit and there's no way that he'll actually play hardball with the UFC.

In the end, everything will go as scheduled. Jon will fight Gustaffson and that'll be that.

So, you don't believe he has the same resolve that Penn had?

Thats not what the champion clause says. It just sticks them for another 18 months, not forever.

Actually its 3 fights from the end of the contract.....

There is also a 1 year noncompete clause for 12 months from the end of the contract (which could be circumvented by scheduling a fight in a right-to-work state)

Last edited:
BJ Penn, as champion, asked for a slight increase in compensation because he was worth more than what his UFC contract was paying him. Only after the UFC refused to increase his pay did BJ leave.

Lorenzo said he is negotiating Jon's contract right now. If Jon asks for more than the UFC brass feels he is worth (which they are discussing per Lorenzo) and Jon plays hardball by not signing a bout agreement until they do, do you believe the UFC will strip him? In that scenario how long do you believe a champion should have until he is stripped because he just fought one month ago? Should the precedent be one month, 6 months, a year?

I can't make it any clearer than that.

in BJ's case it was clear that BJ wanted more money. In this case it has Been clear that Jones just prefers to fight Cormier first. Anything else is just assumptions made by you.

Jones still under contract & they aint gonna strip him, plus where would he go nowadays?

Back