10 pounds in 10 days... need help!

Cuban Moses

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a bjj tourney on may 17. I need to drop about 10 pounds. I have been working on my conditioning, so that isn't going to be an issue. This is going to be my first tourney. I want to make 170, not only to be the bigger guy, but to prove to myself that I have the discipline to drop this weight.

The weigh-ins starts at 8 am and the tourney starts at 10 am. I know that dropping carbs a few days beforehand will help drop water weight. How many days out should I do this?

I am going to start taking the ECA stack tomorrow, so that should help a few pounds too.

I have started adding running lsd in the morn, and I do interval training/rounds before class at night. In the morn, I am running with a sweater and sweatpants to help raise my temp to burn more calories.

When should I cut out some salt from my diet to help reduce water weight. I have read the article about increasing water intake to two gallons and then reduce salt intake to make the body lose water. But, I don't think these articles are geared towards a same day weigh in.

I am still drinking over a gallon of water a day. I know that I can lose a few pounds there.

current diet
very small protein shake before run (5:40 am)

breakfast: (6:30 am)
2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites
1/2 cup of oatmeal with milk, honey, cinnammon
fruit (orange, apple, mango, or banana)
4 tabs fish oil

8:30 am
piece of fruit

10:30 am
veggies
lean meat 5-6oz

1:00 pm
veggies
lean meat 5-6oz

3:45 pm
veggies
lean meat 5-6oz

conditioning

6:15 pm
small detour bar

6:30-8:45 pm
class

9:30
veggies
lean meat 5-6oz

11 pm
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup yogurt
splenda
4 tabs fish oil

Have you taken a look at the FAQ here and in conditioning there are a few step by step threads on making weight that should help you.

I did some reading. I will cut my carbs out except for veggies starting sunday. The thing about most of these articles is that they are geared towards cutting when the weigh-in is the day before.

Basically, what I've read:
1. restrict calories
2. restrict carb intake
3. start cutting water before the weigh in
4. have a light carb/protein meal after the weigh-in, add in glycerin and salt
5. reduce salt intake, hopefully no salt, leading up to the weigh in
6. take a light laxative a few days before the weigh-in

Basically, what is different if the weigh-in is the day of? How much can I cut and still be effective grappling? How often should I go to a sauna and sweat? I will be running everyday with sweaters to help out. Anyone with experience doing this with advice? Thanks.

10 pounds in 10 days should be relatively easy. Just slowly constrict your diet and cut down on the carbs day by day. Hit the sauna to drop some water weight and cut down the amount of water you take in. There's a two hour diff. between weighs in an the tournament, which is a good amount of time to get water and some good nutrients back into your body so you should be fine.

Couple ways to do it. You can cut it all at once close to the day of, you can cut it slow over time, or you can cut it early and try and keep the weight down.

Really if you get down to about a pound or so off 3 or 4 days befor, you wont feel very fatigued by the weight cut and lowering your food intake. You can give yourself a few days for your body to adjust and then after you weight in, get back what you need, some protein, carbs. and alot of water since you have alot of time to digest.

I just found out I can weigh in the night before. I was thinking of not cutting the weight, but I will definitely do it now. I will have over twelve hours to rehydrate.

LSD runs in the morn with a sweater and sweat pants, plus interval training and class at night is the plan right now. Any suggestions?

Anyone in Orlando know where to get the grapplers guide to sports nutrition locally? Or is online the only way to get it? I've been looking around with no luck.

A quick way to lose weight is a detox diet of fruit and vegetables only.

I dropped 14 pounds in 6 days doing that and drinking water

While running and sauna.

What natural gentle laxative did you take? It doesn't specify in the article

Cut out all the carbs.
Every 1gcarb binds 3g water so you will lose about 3kg there.

no need for weight cutting.

19 egg yolks daily.

or 3 meals of 3 egg yolks with tbsp of cream.

<1000 calories-high energy calories. = no hungry

19 yolks a day sounds like a recipe for the runs. Have you done this in the past?

Gameplan:
Thurs (today)
STart cutting back carbs, starting with the ones later in the day

Friday
Further cutting back carbs

Sat
Have all carbs eliminated except vegetables, and maybe a piece of fruit with breakfast

Sun (no carbs starting here except veggies)
Veggies and meat
eggs
plain meat meals
protein shake

Mon
Veggies and meat
eggs
plain meat meals
protein shake

Tues
Veggies and meat
eggs
plain meat meals
protein shake

Weds
Veggies and meat
eggs
plain meat meals
protein shake

Thurs
Veggies and meat
eggs
plain meat meals
protein shake
benefiber before going to bed
How much to take?

Friday
a couple of eggs here and there

Water consumption
thurs
normal

fri
normal

sat
normal

sunday
2 gallons

mon
2 gallons

tues
2 gallons

weds
1 gallon distilled
no salt

thurs
1 gallon distilled
at about 8 pm my last source of water
drop all salt from diet

friday
no water (hopefully gta IV can help)

After the weigh in
room temp gatorade
salt
protein shake

How many times should I have one of these to hydrate?

Looks like a good plan, only I would recommend pedialyte instead of gatorade. That way you wont need the extra salt (its got plenty of sodium) and it doesnt have all the extra sugar in gatorade. I actually like the taste too if its not too warm.

I like the orange flavor.

Ok i will take a pedialyte with protein after the weigh in. How often should i do this? I will drink one of these at around 8:15 pm. Then should I continue sipping water. Have another one at aout 10:30 pm, and wake up in the middle of night at say 3 am and have another one?

Breakfast at 8 am
oatmeal
eggs
fruit

What do you guys recommend?

Ok i will take a pedialyte with protein after the weigh in. How often should i do this? I will drink one of these at around 8:15 pm. Then should I continue sipping water. Have another one at aout 10:30 pm, and wake up in the middle of night at say 3 am and have another one?

Breakfast at 8 am
oatmeal
eggs
fruit

What do you guys recommend?

Well, along with the pedialyte make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

As far as waking up in the middle of the night - I value sleep over the minimal hydration benefit you'll get. If you wake up parched, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldnt worry about it. Sleep, keep some water next to you if you do wake up.

Back