10% of viewers make up 90% of all UFC revenue, why America will always be PPV

The UFC isn't really using the PPV model anymore as Disney has locked in money for every event in around the 500k PPV range. After the PPV depression even 400k PPV's became rare.

PPV will die a slow death, but it will die. It's never been easier to find a stream.

This really makes you realize just how special Conor was as a draw. All your top PPV draws, from Tyson to Floyd, from Ronda to Brock, have all been Americans. Conor basically surpassed all of them in a fraction of the time and he is not even from North America. It will be interesting to see if Tyson Fury can follow in those foot steps and pull big vs anyone he fights, or of any of these international fighters can pull 7 figure PPV's regularly in the US market.

This really makes you realize just how special Conor was as a draw. All your top PPV draws, from Tyson to Floyd, from Ronda to Brock, have all been Americans. Conor basically surpassed all of them in a fraction of the time and he is not even from North America. It will be interesting to see if Tyson Fury can follow in those foot steps and pull big vs anyone he fights, or of any of these international fighters can pull 7 figure PPV's regularly in the US market.
To be fair America has more Irish blood than Ireland, it’s probably the third most prolific heritage in the US behind German and English ancestry

PPV will die a slow death, but it will die. It's never been easier to find a stream.
It's never been easier to find a stream yet PPV sales have gone up. Streams can also act as great fish bait to get new people into the sport and make them a PPV buyer - i.e. 'try before you buy'. And when you get hooked to the product and your stream does down/is being crappy, or you have some people over to watch the fights, there is a good chance the streamer turns into a PPV buyer. The market is also adapting and trying to meet these new changes that the internet brings, like the ESPN+ deal and DAZN.

To be fair America has more Irish blood than Ireland, it’s probably the third most prolific heritage in the US behind German and English ancestry
This is true, and I do wonder how much the Irish Americans are responsible for this. I know Conor is large in places like India, Russia, and as we recently saw: even Italy. This is why i also brought up Tyson Fury, as he is 100% Irish blooded too, tho he is a Traveller - if it is Irish blooded Americans responsible for Conor's surge, will they support Fury as well?

Last edited:
This is true, and I do wonder how much the Irish Americans are responsible for this. I know Conor is large in places like India, Russia, and as we recently saw: even Italy. This is why i also brought up Tyson Fury, as he is 100% Irish blooded too, tho he is a Traveller - if it is Irish blooded Americans responsible for Conor's urge, will they support Fury as well?
Tyson was raised in England so he is much like other Irish not actually from Ireland, he does respect his blood though

Tyson was raised in England so he is much like other Irish not actually from Ireland, he does respect his blood though
Yes, he was raised in England but both parents are from Ireland and he used to compete for Ireland. He probably thought repping UK would be better for his business future as the UK fighters like Hatton were hot then.....should have stayed sporting the Irish flag and got those Conor fans <Lmaoo>

It is an interesting question tho, as there have been good Irish boxers/Irish blooded fighters before but none blew up in the US like Conor. Fury is charismatic like Conor and even competes in the prized jewel of prize fighting: HW boxing. The II Wilder fight broke the million PPV mark but the III fight only did 600K - I get the reasons why not as many tuned in as Tyson just skunked him, but the III fight was the best. Will be interesting if he sees a US rub like Conor did in 2016, or if Conor is truly an anomaly.

Yes, he was raised in England but both parents are from Ireland and he used to compete for Ireland. He probably thought repping UK would be better for his business future as the UK fighters like Hatton were hot then.....should have stayed sporting the Irish flag and got those Conor fans <Lmaoo>

It is an interesting question tho, as there have been good Irish boxers/Irish blooded fighters before but none blew up in the US like Conor. Fury is charismatic like Conor and even competes in the prized jewel of prize fighting: HW boxing. The II Wilder fight broke the million PPV mark but the III fight only did 600K - I get the reasons why not as many tuned in as Tyson just skunked him, but the III fight was the best. Will be interesting if he sees a US rub like Conor did in 2016, or if Conor is truly an anomaly.

he’s pulled back on his Irishness, he wanted to represent Ireland in the olympics

Back