10 Cloverfield Lane

I'm annoyed at how they handled Cloverfield sequels. So we start off with an awesome, action-packed movie. Did they not make good money? And then the producers, director or w/e are like "You know what would be fun? Let's re-brand random B movies with the Cloverfield name, add the smallest amount of SFX possible, so we make bank off of the brand name!"
<Meh02>

Did the first Cloverfield mostly use the shaky cam gimmick on only give like a 2 second look at the monster? I don’t remember it being sfx heavy. 10 Cloverfield lane seems like a nice extension of that, making the unseen and uncertain the source of fear, rather than a scary monster. It helps to have John Goodman though, always.

Never saw Cloverfield Netflix movie.

Did the first Cloverfield mostly use the shaky cam gimmick on only give like a 2 second look at the monster? I don’t remember it being sfx heavy. 10 Cloverfield lane seems like a nice extension of that, making the unseen and uncertain the source of fear, rather than a scary monster. It helps to have John Goodman though, always.

Never saw Cloverfield Netflix movie.

Cloverfield is the best big monster movie since Godzilla '98

Cloverfield is the best big monster movie since Godzilla '98

I didn’t mean that to be critical of Cloverfield, it was good but they used clever filmmaking to hide the small sfx budget. So using the lack of sfx to criticize the other movies in the series doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

Maybe I’m in the minority but I thought the first Pacific Rim was better than Cloverfield, though a much different movie.

I didn’t mean that to be critical of Cloverfield, it was good but they used clever filmmaking to hide the small sfx budget. So using the lack of sfx to criticize the other movies in the series doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

Maybe I’m in the minority but I thought the first Pacific Rim was better than Cloverfield, though a much different movie.

Pacific Rim focused to much on the female character but the battle sequences and sense of scale were top notch

2b3ac15e8529f6350ce4dd5779f7c9831bedc26f_hq.gif

Was decent. Goodman casting/performance was on point.

That said I think any of big 4 in Lebowski would’ve been a good cast, but different expression/variation of same needs/deficiency’s in that role if kidnapper/host.

(Goodman, Turturro, Buscemi, Bridges)
Clover field paradox wasn’t good but Watchable with a good cast.
tumblr_p3oowl3Zqy1wdau5ao3_500.gifv

Last edited:
Anyone seen it yet?

I watched it on Amazon prime last night. It was decent.

Basically this chick is in a car accident and wakes up in an underground bunker with this farmer who tells her there was some kind of attack and everyone is dead except for them.
It was far better than the first film. The first film was overrated. 10 Cloverfield Lane was decent.

I rewatched it last night. Good movie. Wish they would make a 3rd. I love how they don't believe Goodman at all and in the end he was right.

Also what was the whole deal about Goodman kidnapping that girl? Was he a pedo or did his real daughter die and he kidnapped one to replace her

Last edited:
it was ok. I liked the fact that I couldn't tell if Goodman was telling the truth or not about the alien invasion until towards the end.
Yeah I hate jj abrams and so I've never seen Cloverfield.

I didn't even know this was related, since it just sounded like the name of a street address.

I think that added to the experience. Because if you know it's a Cloverfield movie then you know aliens or monsters are a part of it, which means john goodman is telling the truth about the danger outside.

Part of my enjoyment was not knowing if he was telling the truth or not until much later in the movie.

I really enjoyed it, one of the first movies i recommend to people from the last 10 years. For some reason it really flew under the radar.

Much better than the original, and better than most of the crap you see nowadays.

If it helps JJ Abrams didn't direct CLOVERFIELD; but rather the awesome Matt Reeves. Although to be honest, I think Reeves is awesome based on his APES work; I didn't like CLOVERFIELD at all.

And, weirdly enough, it sounds like the name of a street address because it is; Cloverfield is a street in LA that he took on the way to the office.

I didn't even know this was related, since it just sounded like the name of a street address.

I think that added to the experience. Because if you know it's a Cloverfield movie then you know aliens or monsters are a part of it, which means john goodman is telling the truth about the danger outside.

Part of my enjoyment was not knowing if he was telling the truth or not until much later in the movie.

Yeah, thank goodness I had no clue.

I'm annoyed at how they handled Cloverfield sequels. So we start off with an awesome, action-packed movie. Did they not make good money? And then the producers, director or w/e are like "You know what would be fun? Let's re-brand random B movies with the Cloverfield name, add the smallest amount of SFX possible, so we make bank off of the brand name!"
<Meh02>
10 Cloverfield lane isn't a b movie though considering that its a lot better than the original. That said, there's no reason for it to be called Cloverfield except for brand recognition.

I liked it. The cast was great. John Goodman was excellent playing against type.

10 Cloverfield lane isn't a b movie though considering that its a lot better than the original. That said, there's no reason for it to be called Cloverfield except for brand recognition.

I think they can keep making these Cloverfield movies without having any real unifying element to them. I kind of like the idea of a horror anthology. Like what they wanted Halloween to be before Season of the Witch was poorly received.

Cloverfield>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>10≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Paradocks

Back