10/12 oz Velcro bag gloves?

I only have experience with the alien model and I love them. Their excellent bag gloves. I got the stock black/green gloves. The Fairtex BGV9 and TopBoxer aliens are exactly how I like my glove padding for bag work. Dense punchers gloves but also protective from punching through the padding. The Cleto Reyes training gloves leave me scratching my head. Their dense but you can easily punch through the padding. Out of the limited gloves I’ve had and tried, the BGV9 and aliens have been the best on the heavy bag. Even at 10-12oz their very protective. I like buying new gloves so it’s been hard trying to find a follow up to the amazing BGV9s and aliens lol. Might have to just start doing custom aliens and new BGV9s when these gloves get worn out.

i was actually considering between reyes, topboxer customs, prize rings pro training gloves (new japanese brand) and the bgv9s as a main bag glove in 16oz (im 60kgs).

what is the durability on your topboxer aliens and bgv9s? and which one would you recommend with durability being the priority?

i may get the bgv9s or topboxer customs for bagwork, which do you prefer for bagwork? for long bag sessions

does the bgv9s or top boxers have that springy recoil reyes has on the bag?

which one is more comfortable?

i dunno whether to go for either or save up for reyes (if i did get it i'd get 14oz to make up for it being overweight). i believe my knuckles are pretty strong and it may be good to feel your hands go through the padding on the bag to make sure you're landing flush on the knuckles. however haven't tried any of the four gloves i mentioned above. i feel like the prize rings r a wildcard tho cuz its relatively new and only fit2box has reviewed it.

my only worry with getting reyes or bgv9s is cuz it may not fit my hands. if i got customs i can get it... custom made to my hand size with it still being a glove fit to my preferences but once again i'm uncertain about it's durability

is it possible to have more feedback, that springiness of the bag and the feeling of landing on your knuckles with a without having to sacrifice protection?

im open to other options of gloves too.

i was actually considering between reyes, topboxer customs, prize rings pro training gloves (new japanese brand) and the bgv9s as a main bag glove in 16oz (im 60kgs).

what is the durability on your topboxer aliens and bgv9s? and which one would you recommend with durability being the priority?

i may get the bgv9s or topboxer customs for bagwork, which do you prefer for bagwork? for long bag sessions

does the bgv9s or top boxers have that springy recoil reyes has on the bag?

which one is more comfortable?

i dunno whether to go for either or save up for reyes (if i did get it i'd get 14oz to make up for it being overweight). i believe my knuckles are pretty strong and it may be good to feel your hands go through the padding on the bag to make sure you're landing flush on the knuckles. however haven't tried any of the four gloves i mentioned above. i feel like the prize rings r a wildcard tho cuz its relatively new and only fit2box has reviewed it.

my only worry with getting reyes or bgv9s is cuz it may not fit my hands. if i got customs i can get it... custom made to my hand size with it still being a glove fit to my preferences but once again i'm uncertain about it's durability

is it possible to have more feedback, that springiness of the bag and the feeling of landing on your knuckles with a without having to sacrifice protection?

im open to other options of gloves too.

The BGV9 is a fantastic glove in therm of comfort, protection and feedback. The only negative, for me, is it has too much wrist protection. The wrist is like a cast lol.

The Aliens are also great and offers superb protection and feedback, but they have a smaller hand compartment and the padding is really stiff and takes a long time to break.

The BGV9 is a fantastic glove in therm of comfort, protection and feedback. The only negative, for me, is it has too much wrist protection. The wrist is like a cast lol.

The Aliens are also great and offers superb protection and feedback, but they have a smaller hand compartment and the padding is really stiff and takes a long time to break.

i see. do you think it'd be better to get the bgv9s or just spend it on topboxer custom gloves? (or save up for brands like reyes)

im 60 kgs but want 16oz gloves so im assuming the hand compartment may be a bit big. But custom gloves should solve that issue

what do u think about the durability of both gloves?

do either have that springiness off the bag that reyes apparently has?

basically what is the best bag glove you've owned?

Last edited:
i see. do you think it'd be better to get the bgv9s or just spend it on topboxer custom gloves? (or save up for brands like reyes)

im 60 kgs but want 16oz gloves so im assuming the hand compartment may be a bit big. But custom gloves should solve that issue

what do u think about the durability of both gloves?

do either have that springiness off the bag that reyes apparently has?

basically what is the best bag glove you've owned?

Mmmmmm good question. Both gloves are fantastic. If you want a snuggier hand compartment, go with the Aliens as the BGV9s have a pretty wide hand compatment. I am pretty shure REYES also have a wide hand pocket.

Both will give you a very satisfying pop on the bag. In the end, it all depends on what you like more.

Longer cuff, siff wrist and large hand pocket = BGV9

Snug fit, good wrist support, shorter cuff = Aliens.

My favorite bag gloves are the Hayabusa Glory fight gloves (they don't make those anymore....sadly). They are really protective, light, perfect hand pocket, great wrist support but since I have lace up, I can play with it.

I am trying to find a glove that will be similar the these.

Mmmmmm good question. Both gloves are fantastic. If you want a snuggier hand compartment, go with the Aliens as the BGV9s have a pretty wide hand compatment. I am pretty shure REYES also have a wide hand pocket.

Both will give you a very satisfying pop on the bag. In the end, it all depends on what you like more.

Longer cuff, siff wrist and large hand pocket = BGV9

Snug fit, good wrist support, shorter cuff = Aliens.

My favorite bag gloves are the Hayabusa Glory fight gloves (they don't make those anymore....sadly). They are really protective, light, perfect hand pocket, great wrist support but since I have lace up, I can play with it.

I am trying to find a glove that will be similar the these.
i see! thank you!

i hear majority of people use 10-12 oz gloves for bagwork.
im wondering why? Wouldn't it be better to use 16oz gloves as that's your sparring glove weight too?

16s give better muscle endurance, increases your speed and you won't be affected by the weight when sparring

your hands won't burn out when sparring as fast due to the conditioning with 16s on the bag.
i don't have any hand issues, i believe my hands are pretty strong (knuckles and my wrist) so using lighter gloves with less protection is completely fine for me.

but why would someone use a 10/12 oz as opposed to 16s? and if i happened to use 12oz majority of the time for bag work wouldn't my technique and ability in sparring be diminished?

a lot of the people i know are telling me to get 16ozs.

i see! thank you!

i hear majority of people use 10-12 oz gloves for bagwork.
im wondering why? Wouldn't it be better to use 16oz gloves as that's your sparring glove weight too?

16s give better muscle endurance, increases your speed and you won't be affected by the weight when sparring

your hands won't burn out when sparring as fast due to the conditioning with 16s on the bag.
i don't have any hand issues, i believe my hands are pretty strong (knuckles and my wrist) so using lighter gloves with less protection is completely fine for me.

but why would someone use a 10/12 oz as opposed to 16s? and if i happened to use 12oz majority of the time for bag work wouldn't my technique and ability in sparring be diminished?

a lot of the people i know are telling me to get 16ozs.

Ahhh the famous 12oz vs 16oz question lol

Lots of guys like to use lighter gloves for mitts and bagwork because its closer to the weight of fight gloves. But for some, 12 oz feels less protective and prefer to ise 14 or 16oz gloves on the bag.

I used to only use 14 and 16oz gloves for bag and 16oz for sparring, because i am an old fart and want protection for my hands. The Hayabusa fight gloves are as orotective as a 14oz glove, but at a 10oz weight. Its all about the padding.

Take Rival for exemple, the founder, Russ Amber says, other then fight gloves, the weight of a glove is not important and we should focus more on the padding.

If you take Rival gloves, they are always on the lighter side, but their padding is super protective.

Don't know if it makes sens, but thats what I follow.

Ahhh the famous 12oz vs 16oz question lol

Lots of guys like to use lighter gloves for mitts and bagwork because its closer to the weight of fight gloves. But for some, 12 oz feels less protective and prefer to ise 14 or 16oz gloves on the bag.

I used to only use 14 and 16oz gloves for bag and 16oz for sparring, because i am an old fart and want protection for my hands.

I take a similar approach; 14 oz. or 16 oz. for the heavy bag.

I use 12 oz. primarily for mitts, and sometimes the double end bag.

16 oz. gloves for sparring.

I take a similar approach; 14 oz. or 16 oz. for the heavy bag.

I use 12 oz. primarily for mitts, and sometimes the double end bag.

16 oz. gloves for sparring.
This 100% I used 14/16 on bag or pads if part of a circuit. More recently I have just been using 16 (I replaced my 14 with 16) as my new post lockdown gym adds drills and body sparing into class and I don’t feel right hitting someone who is out of shape with 14oz Reyes in the ribs lol. Sparring always 16oz. If I was just doing pads or double end / cobra bag then I would use 10oz fight gloves as only 12oz pair of training I have had (Reyes) I couldn’t really get on easily. 10oz large fight gloves are good for larger hands.

my bvg9 gloves where 14oz

Back