10,000 rally to support Chinese-American NYPD officer convicted in fatal stairwell shooting

Manslaugther seems fine to me considering it was his negligence folloed up byu not providing 1st aid or contacting paramedics. Hope he gets the book thrown at him , because it is 1 thing to act in a dangerous manner for a public servant tasked with protecting the public, it is another thing to willfully not provide 1st aid or contact paramedics when you are the person whos negligence/ irresponsinle/ dangerous actions led to the shooting of another.

I think part of the reason that WHite cop down south who chased and shot the Black guy dead while the victim was running away got no support is because he picked and dropped the taser or something near the dead body. Actions like that and not calling paramedics or administering 1st aid goes a long way towards really incriminating an individual.

According to his partner's testimony, Peter Liang froze out of shock, but did radio for an ambulance after some delay. I have seen guys completely shut down after seeing something traumatic before, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Also, the victim's girlfriend was performing CPR on him. It sounds like poor training mixed with inexperience and bad judgement rather than anything malicious.

Was it a big protest? SoCal has a large chinese population. Where did it take place on Valley Blvd?

No idea on either. Was just told one was planned in briefing but it was not during my hours. Very few protestors out during graveyard shift...

That's how I feel, if it's true.

The real victim here is an innocent man who was accidentally killed. Let's not forget that. It's possible this officer was a scapegoat and deserved the charges. It's a curious case but if he did call his rep before he called for an ambulance, it's really hard to have any pity on him, even if the killing was completely accidental.
That bit of information could drastically change opinion on the matter. Mistakes happen, even tragic ones, but not providing first aid and being more concerned about yourself than the victim should get you a LOT more jail time imo.

jesus, 15 years seems like a lot. the bart cop in fruitvale station case served less than a year in jail, and he shot a kid point blank that was handcuffed and on his stomach.

If it were any other gun but a Glock the case for failure or accident could have been made for reasonable doubt.

Glocks are just too reliable. The trigger pull is there as is good resistence & safety. They dont raelly malfunction.

Had he carried an old ass 1911 there would have been reasonable doubt.

You trash a 1911 but praise a Glock?
3488597-6219889274-micha.gif

You realize 1911's have 2 safeties don't you?

How are the race-baiters turning this into a race thing again??? Seriously, he got in trouble because he's Asian? Lol, ridiculous.

If he was white he would have gotten imprisoned too, and there'd be 15 protesters out there; half of them his family members.

Although maybe this is just one big trolling session. It has to be with crap like this:

“We're here today to let people know that Chinese Americans count as well,” said protester Don Lee, a candidate for New York's state Assembly from Lower Manhattan.

Trolling BLM?

People at the rally were there because he's chinese. Not because they are so supportive of police. This country is trending more towards race, its how people define themselves.

I know you're trying to be clever (and failing) but Blacks that kill other blacks go to jail for very long prison sentences when they are caught.

Yeah, when it comes to tracking down and punishing criminals, no one takes it more seriously than our inner cities.

jesus, 15 years seems like a lot. the bart cop in fruitvale station case served less than a year in jail, and he shot a kid point blank that was handcuffed and on his stomach.

The "15 years" is just the maximum penalty allowed for what he's convicted for (manslaughter, et al) by the jury.

The final sentence itself will be decided by the judge in April.

LOL Asians want some of dat der privilege.

In b4 Jose Aldo make another duplicate thread to repeat everything that have been mentioned in this discussion.

Last edited:
The 1911 & their knock-offs are more prone to malfunction than a Glock hence the popularity of Glocks with law enforcement these days.
You trash a 1911 but praise a Glock?
3488597-6219889274-micha.gif

You realize 1911's have 2 safeties don't you?

This police officer is American. I'm tired of the Asian-American title. He's in jail because he's a non-black cop who killed a black person.

I'm Chinese American and I Think This Weekend's Peter Liang Protests Were a Problem, and an Opportunity
Steph Yin, 02/22/2016

n-NEW-YORK-LIANG-628x314.jpg

I'm a proud Chinese American, but today I am disappointed by those in my community who rallied this weekend in support of Peter Liang, the NYPD officer who killed Akai Gurley and was recently convicted of second-degree manslaughter. My parents and many of their friends attended these rallies or have spoken up in support of Liang. They have stayed silent and very far away from any Black Lives Matter protests, but they find the time to pay attention and show up when it is a member of their community.

Chinese Americans are arguing that it is unjust that Liang got convicted while the many white cops who have killed unarmed Black people before him walked free. White cops such as Daniel Pantaleo, who killed Eric Garner with a chokehold, and Darren Wilson, who shot Michael Brown, are regularly acquitted of these killings. In the case of Peter Liang, there are more ambiguities. At least as the official account goes, he did not see Akai Gurley before his gun accidentally discharged and his bullet ricocheted off a wall and fatally struck Gurley. I share my parents' outrage that white cops who much more clearly targeted unarmed Black folks have somehow gotten non-indictments. I think there are clear disparities between the way Liang was treated versus the way Pantaleo was treated, particularly as Pantaleo was a veteran cop who should have known better.

But that doesn't change the fact that Akai Gurley died needlessly because of a rotten system that Liang was part of. This is a system in which police routinely conduct unwarranted public housing patrols just to look for suspicious activity, which is what Liang was doing when he shot Gurley. The facts are that Liang had his gun on the trigger when there was no imminent threat -- he was there proactively, not in response to an event -- and when he did find out that Gurley was shot, he did not immediately provide medical care. I hope that Liang's conviction is a precedent, and that we will continue to convict, instead of letting cops who kill off the hook. This is not the first time that a cop has killed a Black person during a public housing patrol and it will likely not be the last time, if we maintain the status quo. The status quo is that an unarmed Black person is killed by cops and George Zimmerman types every 28 hours in this country. Peter Liang killed someone -- a father, son a brother -- and he should be held accountable.

I asked my dad to imagine that Akai Gurley were his son, killed for nothing more than trying to enter an apartment. He immediately responded, without stopping to actually consider my question, "but imagine if Peter Liang were your son." That he was willing to consider Liang but not Gurley as his son is indicative of a broader trend I see among many (East) Asian Americans. They are angry when they see injustice against people who look like them, but not when they see injustice against Black, Latinx, and Muslim/ South Asian communities. Other people of color are dehumanized to them. Even when the injustice is stacked a human life versus a possible 15 years in prison.

I think many Asian Americans are focusing on Peter Liang as an individual instead of as part of a system that's broken. The system is made of people like Liang who, accidentally or not, feel the need to have their guns out in the absence of provocation. It's also a system in which Black folks can face life sentences for nonviolent drug crimes, while cops walk free (or serve much shorter sentences) for taking innocent lives. Where is the outrage over that discrepancy?

Many Asian Americans fail to see this systematic violence as related to them, when in fact history has taught us that white supremacy is a revolving door that deems different groups of marginalized folks as "unsafe" based on what benefits white people at the time. White people will always find new reasons to profile people of color as criminals, spies, terrorists, and so forth, and Asian Americans are not immune. When the tide of favorability turns against us, I would hope that other people of color would stand in solidarity -- just as Asian American folks need to stand in solidarity now. The flawed logic of protesting one type of racism while implicitly condoning another, far more violent type of racism is bewildering to me. I saw people in the Liang rallies this weekend holding signs that quoted Martin Luther King Jr. and bore sentences like "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." That they failed to see the irony in this escapes me.

My parents see Peter Liang as a victim of the mounting pressures of Black Lives Matter. They are calling him a "scapegoat," particularly as Akai Gurley's death happened just four months after Eric Garner's death. When I look at this situation, I see a potential for change -- change that happens case by case through activists fighting for change, through the criminal justice system, and through precedents. Liang's conviction is a step towards justice.

In the midst of tragedy, one small thing I am glad about is that this has opened up a dialogue between my parents and me -- a dialogue they are usually immediately resistant towards having. I hope that my Chinese American friends will also use this opportunity as a way to start conversations with family members. I'm a proud Chinese American, and I think it's our responsibility to challenge our silence and call attention to our role in this fight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steph-yin/peter-liang-protests_b_9289990.html

Last edited:
Biased DA, city scapegoat the Asian-American community
February 21, 2016

2-photos65.jpg

The justice system has always failed Asian-Americans.

We remember all too well the brutal 1982 slaying of Vincent Chin — a 27-year-old Chinese-American man killed near Detroit by two thugs who believed he was Japanese and thus responsible for Motown’s downturn. His killers got off virtually scot-free.

Army Pvt. Danny Chen, who grew up in Manhattan’s Chinatown, was systematically beaten and harassed, driving him to suicide. His tormentors were barely given slaps on the wrist.

And now, the community has been victimized again — this time by Brooklyn DA Ken Thompson and his office’s unjust prosecution of NYPD Officer Peter Liang.

Make no mistake about it: New York’s Asian-American community couldn’t be more united and outraged by this miscarriage of justice.

By any reasonable reading of the law — and common sense — Liang’s conviction for second-degree manslaughter was wrong and should be struck down. It was a tragic accident, for which this punishment doesn’t fit the crime — which really wasn’t a crime at all, only a horrible mishap.

Liang and a fellow rookie were in a dark staircase at the Pink Houses in East New York when his gun went off, killing innocent victim Akai Gurley.

Liang never had the intent to kill. He never even saw Gurley.

Yet somehow, Thompson and jurors failed to grasp this most basic, undisputed fact.

New York’s Asian-American community can’t help comparing Gurley’s tragic, accidental killing to the homicide that took the life of Eric Garner on Staten Island. Garner died from a chokehold by NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo — in broad daylight as Garner screamed, “I can’t breathe!”

Garner’s slaying stands in stark contrast to Gurley’s death from an unintended gunshot in the dark that ricocheted off a wall.

Yet Garner’s killer, Pantaleo, is walking free while Liang, who never aimed his gun at anyone, is due to be sentenced for up to 15 years behind bars next month.

How can this be? Why is Liang, this rookie Asian-American cop, possibly going to prison for a tragic accident while others are never even charged?

Because it was an easy political choice.

Thompson used Liang to satisfy a segment of his constituency with long-standing grievances about police mistreatment — as if scapegoating Liang somehow erases all sins ever committed by the NYPD.

The prosecution was also a political winner for Thompson because it didn’t seem to faze the powerful Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, which didn’t put up much of a fight as Liang was railroaded.

So DA Thompson achieved all his political goals — with the only costs being Liang’s freedom and furthering the not-so-thinly-veiled message to New York’s Asian-American community that its grievances don’t matter.

Whether the name is Chin, Chen or Liang, Asian-Americans have long been told that their pain and humiliation don’t register. And now that’s been affirmed in a Brooklyn courtroom.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/21/biased-da-city-scapegoat-the-asian-american-community/

It's an interesting bit of theater.

I'm sure it says something damning about race relations in the U.S. but I can't quite put my finger on it. What I'm pretty sure of is that if the deceased was a young Asian male/female and the cop a non-Asian then this pro-officer protest wouldn't be happening.

This has nothing to do with Garner in the sense that Garner argued then resisted the officers where as Gurley never even engaged with Liang. The commanding officer on the scene with Garner was black so there goes the race issue.

My guess is that Liang's lawyer did a terrible job though.

. It was a tragic accident, for which this punishment doesn’t fit the crime — which really wasn’t a crime at all, only a horrible mishap.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/21/biased-da-city-scapegoat-the-asian-american-community/

Last edited:
I'm still confused on why Officer Liang had his weapon out and his finger on the trigger. Was he just scared to walk up the steps?

How are the race-baiters turning this into a race thing again??? Seriously, he got in trouble because he's Asian? Lol, ridiculous.

If he was white he would have gotten imprisoned too, and there'd be 15 protesters out there; half of them his family members.

Although maybe this is just one big trolling session. It has to be with crap like this:

“We're here today to let people know that Chinese Americans count as well,” said protester Don Lee, a candidate for New York's state Assembly from Lower Manhattan.

Trolling BLM?

You don't get that race baiting is profitable? Look at the Masters Reverends Jesse "Snip dem balls" Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Biased DA, city scapegoat the Asian-American community
February 21, 2016

2-photos65.jpg

The justice system has always failed Asian-Americans.

We remember all too well the brutal 1982 slaying of Vincent Chin — a 27-year-old Chinese-American man killed near Detroit by two thugs who believed he was Japanese and thus responsible for Motown’s downturn. His killers got off virtually scot-free.

Army Pvt. Danny Chen, who grew up in Manhattan’s Chinatown, was systematically beaten and harassed, driving him to suicide. His tormentors were barely given slaps on the wrist.

And now, the community has been victimized again — this time by Brooklyn DA Ken Thompson and his office’s unjust prosecution of NYPD Officer Peter Liang.

Make no mistake about it: New York’s Asian-American community couldn’t be more united and outraged by this miscarriage of justice.

By any reasonable reading of the law — and common sense — Liang’s conviction for second-degree manslaughter was wrong and should be struck down. It was a tragic accident, for which this punishment doesn’t fit the crime — which really wasn’t a crime at all, only a horrible mishap.

Liang and a fellow rookie were in a dark staircase at the Pink Houses in East New York when his gun went off, killing innocent victim Akai Gurley.

Liang never had the intent to kill. He never even saw Gurley.

Yet somehow, Thompson and jurors failed to grasp this most basic, undisputed fact.

New York’s Asian-American community can’t help comparing Gurley’s tragic, accidental killing to the homicide that took the life of Eric Garner on Staten Island. Garner died from a chokehold by NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo — in broad daylight as Garner screamed, “I can’t breathe!”

Garner’s slaying stands in stark contrast to Gurley’s death from an unintended gunshot in the dark that ricocheted off a wall.

Yet Garner’s killer, Pantaleo, is walking free while Liang, who never aimed his gun at anyone, is due to be sentenced for up to 15 years behind bars next month.

How can this be? Why is Liang, this rookie Asian-American cop, possibly going to prison for a tragic accident while others are never even charged?

Because it was an easy political choice.

Thompson used Liang to satisfy a segment of his constituency with long-standing grievances about police mistreatment — as if scapegoating Liang somehow erases all sins ever committed by the NYPD.

The prosecution was also a political winner for Thompson because it didn’t seem to faze the powerful Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, which didn’t put up much of a fight as Liang was railroaded.

So DA Thompson achieved all his political goals — with the only costs being Liang’s freedom and furthering the not-so-thinly-veiled message to New York’s Asian-American community that its grievances don’t matter.

Whether the name is Chin, Chen or Liang, Asian-Americans have long been told that their pain and humiliation don’t register. And now that’s been affirmed in a Brooklyn courtroom.

What a histrionic piece of crap. The author is either retarded or dishonest. That bitchfest is full of holes.

It's an interesting bit of theater.

I'm sure it says something damning about race relations in the U.S. but I can't quite put my finger on it. What I'm pretty sure of is that if the deceased was a young Asian male/female and the cop a non-Asian then this pro-officer protest wouldn't be happening.

Oh it probably still be happening, but smaller scale with a different set of signs though.

I'm Chinese American and I Think This Weekend's Peter Liang Protests Were a Problem, and an Opportunity
Steph Yin, 02/22/2016

n-NEW-YORK-LIANG-628x314.jpg

I'm a proud Chinese American, but today I am disappointed by those in my community who rallied this weekend in support of Peter Liang, the NYPD officer who killed Akai Gurley and was recently convicted of second-degree manslaughter. My parents and many of their friends attended these rallies or have spoken up in support of Liang. They have stayed silent and very far away from any Black Lives Matter protests, but they find the time to pay attention and show up when it is a member of their community.

Chinese Americans are arguing that it is unjust that Liang got convicted while the many white cops who have killed unarmed Black people before him walked free. White cops such as Daniel Pantaleo, who killed Eric Garner with a chokehold, and Darren Wilson, who shot Michael Brown, are regularly acquitted of these killings. In the case of Peter Liang, there are more ambiguities. At least as the official account goes, he did not see Akai Gurley before his gun accidentally discharged and his bullet ricocheted off a wall and fatally struck Gurley. I share my parents' outrage that white cops who much more clearly targeted unarmed Black folks have somehow gotten non-indictments. I think there are clear disparities between the way Liang was treated versus the way Pantaleo was treated, particularly as Pantaleo was a veteran cop who should have known better.

But that doesn't change the fact that Akai Gurley died needlessly because of a rotten system that Liang was part of. This is a system in which police routinely conduct unwarranted public housing patrols just to look for suspicious activity, which is what Liang was doing when he shot Gurley. The facts are that Liang had his gun on the trigger when there was no imminent threat -- he was there proactively, not in response to an event -- and when he did find out that Gurley was shot, he did not immediately provide medical care. I hope that Liang's conviction is a precedent, and that we will continue to convict, instead of letting cops who kill off the hook. This is not the first time that a cop has killed a Black person during a public housing patrol and it will likely not be the last time, if we maintain the status quo. The status quo is that an unarmed Black person is killed by cops and George Zimmerman types every 28 hours in this country. Peter Liang killed someone -- a father, son a brother -- and he should be held accountable.

I asked my dad to imagine that Akai Gurley were his son, killed for nothing more than trying to enter an apartment. He immediately responded, without stopping to actually consider my question, "but imagine if Peter Liang were your son." That he was willing to consider Liang but not Gurley as his son is indicative of a broader trend I see among many (East) Asian Americans. They are angry when they see injustice against people who look like them, but not when they see injustice against Black, Latinx, and Muslim/ South Asian communities. Other people of color are dehumanized to them. Even when the injustice is stacked a human life versus a possible 15 years in prison.

I think many Asian Americans are focusing on Peter Liang as an individual instead of as part of a system that's broken. The system is made of people like Liang who, accidentally or not, feel the need to have their guns out in the absence of provocation. It's also a system in which Black folks can face life sentences for nonviolent drug crimes, while cops walk free (or serve much shorter sentences) for taking innocent lives. Where is the outrage over that discrepancy?

Many Asian Americans fail to see this systematic violence as related to them, when in fact history has taught us that white supremacy is a revolving door that deems different groups of marginalized folks as "unsafe" based on what benefits white people at the time. White people will always find new reasons to profile people of color as criminals, spies, terrorists, and so forth, and Asian Americans are not immune. When the tide of favorability turns against us, I would hope that other people of color would stand in solidarity -- just as Asian American folks need to stand in solidarity now. The flawed logic of protesting one type of racism while implicitly condoning another, far more violent type of racism is bewildering to me. I saw people in the Liang rallies this weekend holding signs that quoted Martin Luther King Jr. and bore sentences like "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." That they failed to see the irony in this escapes me.

My parents see Peter Liang as a victim of the mounting pressures of Black Lives Matter. They are calling him a "scapegoat," particularly as Akai Gurley's death happened just four months after Eric Garner's death. When I look at this situation, I see a potential for change -- change that happens case by case through activists fighting for change, through the criminal justice system, and through precedents. Liang's conviction is a step towards justice.

In the midst of tragedy, one small thing I am glad about is that this has opened up a dialogue between my parents and me -- a dialogue they are usually immediately resistant towards having. I hope that my Chinese American friends will also use this opportunity as a way to start conversations with family members. I'm a proud Chinese American, and I think it's our responsibility to challenge our silence and call attention to our role in this fight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steph-yin/peter-liang-protests_b_9289990.html
Written by someone who obviously has no idea how police forces work. It's easy to sit behind a desk and tell other people what they should or shouldn't be doing in possibly volatile situations.

One could say that naivete thinking is systemic in certain sectors of the media. Systemic naivete.

Back