10,000 rally to support Chinese-American NYPD officer convicted in fatal stairwell shooting

I know you're trying to be clever (and failing) but Blacks that kill other blacks go to jail for very long prison sentences when they are caught.

I still don't think you understand the joke. It being that if a black officer killing a black civilian we would not have these protest. Like there is no protest when a black person kills another black person. Now say if you mean like zimmerman where he was found not guilty of killing trayvern and you would say "well see if he was found guilty there would be no protest" to which I would retort "yes, but if zimmerman was black there would be no protest just as blacks kill blacks all the time and there is no protest". Do you think that every black person who kills another black person is found guilty or never a questionable justifiable homicide case? If I were black and I could chose between having one eradicated: black on black murder or cop on black murder, I would pick the former as it is much more likely to happen. WHAT is one thing to have less black vs black murder??? More police presence.

The crux of the protest is "Why can't he be let off the hook like other murderer cops?" The answer is probably because he's not buddies with the dirty cops who know the dirty judge. Asians, friendless nerds even in police departments apparently.

He should serve significant jail time, but I also think he is a scapegoat. I don't think there have been many shootings involving Asian-American officers, so this seems to be a suspect coincidence.

Liang was the first NYPD cop to be convicted for a police-involved shooting in a decade.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/supporters-rally-behind-convicted-peter-liang-article-1.2538533

If this sets a new precedent for police shootings, maybe some good can come out of this terrible tragedy.

How are the race-baiters turning this into a race thing again??? Seriously, he got in trouble because he's Asian? Lol, ridiculous.

If he was white he would have gotten imprisoned too, and there'd be 15 protesters out there; half of them his family members.

Although maybe this is just one big trolling session. It has to be with crap like this:

“We're here today to let people know that Chinese Americans count as well,” said protester Don Lee, a candidate for New York's state Assembly from Lower Manhattan.

Trolling BLM?

Then why was Landau given immunity? They really didn't need his testimony as Liang admitted he had his service weapon out and he didn't assist Gurley with CPR along with Landau.

Then why was Landau given immunity? They really didn't need his testimony as Liang admitted he had his service weapon out and he didn't assist Gurley with CPR along with Landau.

You honestly think this is because Liang is Asian?

I need to know because there's really no such thing as a fruitful discussion with someone who has a persecution complex.

He should serve significant jail time, but I also think he is a scapegoat. I don't think there have been many shootings involving Asian-American officers, so this seems to be a suspect coincidence.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/supporters-rally-behind-convicted-peter-liang-article-1.2538533

If this sets a new precedent for police shootings, maybe some good can come out of this terrible tragedy.

Unfortunately it does not. Please refer to the accidental shooting of Grant back in 2009...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Oscar_Grant#Impact_of_technology

Note there is smartphone footage and it may still be on YouTube. The officer who shot a black man who was resisting arrest was according to accounts had intentions to taze Grant but instead pulled out his service weapon and fatally shot Grant in the back.

The important thing here is that he left the man there dying. For that, he is incontrovertibly guilty. Whether it should be classified as manslaughter, criminal neglect, or whatever is a matter of semantics, as it depends on the pertinent definitions under New York's codes.

You honestly think this is because Liang is Asian?

I need to know because there's really no such thing as a fruitful discussion with someone who has a persecution complex.

You tell me. You didn't answer my question. I don't need to know why you can't respond in polite and honest discourse. If you just like the sound of your voice echoing around you, be my guest. Keep rattling yourself in your monkey cage Mr. Badass.

Don't think he should get crazy years, because it was an accident.

Why don't we all put an over/under number on that potential sentence and see how it compares to the final verdict.

Right now it's up to 15 years.

"scapegoat" for what?

Are they offloading this guilt onto white people somehow? lol pathetic.

We even had protests for him here in Southern California. Our local Chinese cultural center put it together

I'm Asian and think he was a scapegoat, but STILL GUILTY.

You can't NOT convict him just because other white officers got away with stuff.

The guy called his union rep while a man lay dying. F&ck him.

Hopefully, ALL officers who commit a crime get convicted.

Did he really call a union rep instead of providing first aid? Because if so fuuuuuuck this guy.

I still don't think you understand the joke. It being that if a black officer killing a black civilian we would not have these protest. Like there is no protest when a black person kills another black person. Now say if you mean like zimmerman where he was found not guilty of killing trayvern and you would say "well see if he was found guilty there would be no protest" to which I would retort "yes, but if zimmerman was black there would be no protest just as blacks kill blacks all the time and there is no protest". Do you think that every black person who kills another black person is found guilty or never a questionable justifiable homicide case? If I were black and I could chose between having one eradicated: black on black murder or cop on black murder, I would pick the former as it is much more likely to happen. WHAT is one thing to have less black vs black murder??? More police presence.
You mean criminals doing criminal stuff doesn't get as much coverage as cops shooting people? What a shocker. I wonder why the media focuses on one of these things more than the other.

Did he really call a union rep instead of providing first aid? Because if so fuuuuuuck this guy.

This alleged claim was thrown out by a police source for a Daily News article in Dec 2014 I believe had him "texting his union rep." But according to his partner Landau, they argued about who would call their supervisor when Liang discharged his weapon. Usually police sources don't throw their own under the bus. The deputy Inspector claimed he told his cops not to do vertical patrols yet recently there was two cops doing the same thing and were shot in the stairwell at another housing project and the suspect was later found to have shot himself in his apartment. Not sure if the two cops that were recently shot in the stairwell were allowed to do vertical patrols. If both Liang and Landau disobeyed orders why weren't they both charged? I suspect the Deputy Inspector wanted to cover his rear end.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...n-rep-akai-gurley-lay-dying-article-1.2034219

It doesn't help his dept when he testified that he and others were given answers to the CPR exam. And in this rather biased article where the video clip voiceover states Liang gunned down Gurley but Liang says he's done hundreds of these patrols and it's his discretion to draw his weapon and he's always done so. Both Landau and Liang agree that both are not confident in their ability to provide medical assistance. Obviously his superior or partner had no issues with him having his firearm out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...alling-shooting-akai-gurley-article-1.2524125

Here's an article which shows the DA and remember he's a politician and tries the shape the narrative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/nyregion/akai-gurley-shooting-death-arraignment.html?_r=0

That's how I feel, if it's true.

The real victim here is an innocent man who was accidentally killed. Let's not forget that. It's possible this officer was a scapegoat and deserved the charges. It's a curious case but if he did call his rep before he called for an ambulance, it's really hard to have any pity on him, even if the killing was completely accidental.

Oh God no.. The Asians are getting on board with the "poor us" rally's? Oh Jesus. Crap.

It's a tough situation, two other officers were shot doing a similar stairwell patrol during his trial. They're extremely dangerous places and he had every reason to be jumpy, but you can't be so jumpy that you just start firing off rounds when you hear something. That absolutely is reckless behavior and it led to a death, hence the manslaughter charge. And he continued to behave recklessly after he fired his weapon. I don't support the max sentence by any means, but it does sound like a classic case of involuntary manslaughter to me. He could still end up serving very little time.
He had an accidental discharge on his gun without aiming at the victim. That's one round ricocheting off a wall, not multiple rounds. There was no intention to kill or maim the victim. The only thing he screwed up on was having poor trigger discipline while having his gun out. He should serve at least a year, not for manslaughter but for criminal negligence.

I doubt he will serve anything significant. I'd be surprised if he got more than 2 years really. He discharged his firearm negligently yes, but the victim wasn't directly struck. A fragment of the bullet ricocheting off a wall and killed the victim. There was no intent to kill.

Last edited:
I have a hard time establishing the reckless part. He didn't have the proper trigger discipline and had a negligent discharge. He wasn't aiming at the victim at the time, nor did he intend to shoot the victim. The bullet from the discharge ricocheted off a wall and struck the victim.

Negligent? Yes
Deserves to be fired and charged? Yes
Manslaughter? No

Manslaugther seems fine to me considering it was his negligence folloed up byu not providing 1st aid or contacting paramedics. Hope he gets the book thrown at him , because it is 1 thing to act in a dangerous manner for a public servant tasked with protecting the public, it is another thing to willfully not provide 1st aid or contact paramedics when you are the person whos negligence/ irresponsinle/ dangerous actions led to the shooting of another.

I think part of the reason that WHite cop down south who chased and shot the Black guy dead while the victim was running away got no support is because he picked and dropped the taser or something near the dead body. Actions like that and not calling paramedics or administering 1st aid goes a long way towards really incriminating an individual.

Back