1 thing about Dominick Reyes

It’ll only be competitive if Jones allows it like he’s been doing lately. He’s on the GSP path of coasting these days.

Dom gonna get smashed...not really a JJ fan, but facts are facts..

What about the hundreds of guys 5 years into their careers that sucked lol

Those guys had combat sports experience, Jones is a pound for pound king, a killer with lots of experience and suberb team. Watching the Countdown and Embedded, it's like comparing Diahatsu to Bentley. Reyes has no chance. He'll be utterly crushed. It's sad that they couldn't find a proper opponent for Jones anymore. He should go to heavyweight.

The whole point of the thread is that fighters improve a lot early in their careers. We have not seen Reyes' ground game enough to get a real sense of it, and no one has seen Reyes at his peak yet.

Poor Walker.

Was everyones #1 to "dethrone Jones" now its all about Reyes.lol

I hope Jones loses but I doubt it. Reyes looks scared and not confident, plus dispute being roughly the same height he looks much smaller then Jones

Yeah, I mean, I guess.

However, Jones himself wasn't even three years into his professional career when he beat Shogun for the strap.

All the names you dropped were already very accomplished on a high level in combat sports before fog

You can't compare a high school IT guy turned NFL wannabe turned pro-fighter to legit fighters that were already competing on a very high level in combat sports before fighting:
Cody Garbrandt: 32-0 in amateur boxing, NCAA Div II drop out
Cejudo: Olympic gold medalist in wrestling
Weidman: NCAA Div I All American
Frankie Edgar: NCAA Div I

Compared to them Dominick Reyes is a kid playing with legos wanting to be an astronaut.

You know what kid... Buzz Aldrin played with legos his whole childhood.

All the names you dropped were already very accomplished on a high level in combat sports before fog

You can't compare a high school IT guy turned NFL wannabe turned pro-fighter to legit fighters that were already competing on a very high level in combat sports before fighting:
Cody Garbrandt: 32-0 in amateur boxing, NCAA Div II drop out
Cejudo: Olympic gold medalist in wrestling
Weidman: NCAA Div I All American
Frankie Edgar: NCAA Div I

Compared to them Dominick Reyes is a kid playing with legos wanting to be an astronaut.

Are you saying the Stony Brook phenom isn't the A++++ athlete that he thinks he is?! Joking aside, I think Jones wins. And if this were the Jones of old who destroyed Shogun, Bader, Machida, Rampage, Cormier, etc, there wouldn't even be a question. However, the Jones who's forgotten he can wrestle and tries to eeke out point fighting decisions makes me a little uncertain. If he doesn't go back to his old ways, someone will beat him in the next couple of years.

Reyes via KO
Sherdog will be offline after this fight

Really bro? You’re gonna be one to hold decision wins against a champion?

<{gspressed}><{hughesimpress}>
It's not decision wins that I have a problem with, it's the level of opposition. Santos and Smith were both mediocre MWs, and yeah, Jones dominated Smith, but he struggled with Santos.

I was mostly just refuting the suggestion that Jones could finish Reyes however and whenever he wanted. Jones could very well win, but it won't be easy.

I'm curious to see who decides to take the game to the ground first. Also curious to see how Dominick does in rounds 4-5, should he make it there. He's never fought more than 3 rounds in his MMA career. I think if Reyes wins, it'll be in the earlier rounds...if he makes it to the champ rounds then I don't see Jones losing.
Good points. I do think Reyes will go balls to the wall and take 1 or 2 rounds. After that he'll gas and Jones cruises to a 2-3 UD like he usually does recently.

Back